October/Batch 4 Thread

Weather update: Ordered DIY i7-1165G7 on 27 September, “Preparing to Ship” on 25 October. I’ve never been more excited to drop a month’s rent on something.

2 Likes

After exactly one month, my order is preparing to ship

1 Like

Right so today my laptop finally entered the system of the reshipping company and I’ve immediately ordered for it to be shipped to my place :slight_smile:

If things go as planned, should be here on Friday this week or Monday next week.

I will, of course, share a bit about my experience with the framework laptop and will do a test no one else did so far (I think…) which is: Does the Framework laptop works in another continent?! (Insert Evil Laughter here)

To be continued…

4 Likes

@mrwm Thanks a lot! An exhaustive description :wink:

Update:

Sep 17 non-DIY i5 ordered,
Oct 4 batch email,
Oct 25 preparing to ship n charge!

Still betting I’m last in the queue, lol.

3 Likes

Latest updates and latest hardware and fixes and all that… :wink: Not everything’s negative you know?

3 Likes

Ordered September 8th, got the preparing to ship your order email yesterday October 25th.

DIY i5-1135 with the works excluding an OS

Can’t wait for it to get here!

1 Like

The package was in Chicago but then routed via Texas, probably to avoid the big storm farther north. The estimated delivery date keeps changing, from 10/26 to 10/25 and back to 10/26. However, today is 10/26 and the FedEx web page says the package is on-time for 10/25 (clearly wrong), but the FedEx phone app says it will be delivered today (10/26). I have my doubts.

1 Like

@MikeCH I didn’t intend it to be negative. I’m quite an optimist tbh. I just meant that shortly after ordering, it went to November for what I ordered, so I expected this from the getgo.

2 Likes

Got a text notification that FedEx just attempted delivery, which is literally impossible as I am sitting in my living room waiting for them to deliver the package.

Framework in the future please allow us different choices in carriers.

8 Likes

Finally got here last morning!

Final timeline (times in US Central):

• [2021-09-01 at 10:58 AM] “Order Confirmation”
  • [2021-10-04 at 12:55 PM] “We’re preparing to ship your batch!”
  • [2021-10-12 at 2:11 PM] “We’re preparing to ship your order!”
  • [2021-10-14 at 7:56 PM] “Your order is shipping soon”
  • [2021-10-19 at 7:14 PM] “Your order has shipped”
  • [2021-10-19] FedEx original ETA (NJ to TX): 2021-10-22
  • [2021-10-22] FedEx updated ETA: 2021-10-25
  • [2021-10-25] FedEx status updated to “Delivered”
  • [2021-10-26] It got to my dorm’s mailroom
1 Like

9/22: Pre-Order confirmation
10/04: Preparing to ship your batch
10/14: Preparing to charge/ship
10/19: Shipped. Expected delivery 10/22.
10/22: “Potentially delayed” by fedex. Called fedex, they have no idea why it’s delayed or what the expected delivery date will be.
10/23: delivery date updated to 10/23. Nothing.
10/24: Fedex doesn’t work on sundays in Austin (yay)
10/25: called fedex, and they assured me it would be delivered today but they will open an “investigation” into where my package is.
10/26: still nothing. Got a call around 5pm saying they found my package and it would be delivered on 10/27.
10/27: … still waiting. Losing my patience…

1 Like

My card still hasn’t been charged yet and I ordered my diy i5 on 9/16. I still have yet to deal with FedEx…

2 Likes

Sami_Al-halabi
2h
My card still hasn’t been charged yet and I ordered my diy i5 on 9/16. I still have yet to deal with FedEx…

I ordered 9/13 and have also not been charged. If you got preparing to ship on 10/25 I would expect to be charged either late today or tomorrow based on others experience in this thread

Got the preparing to ship email 10/25, still waiting for the credit card charge and tracking number.

That’s another thing, I haven’t got any new updates since the 4th.

Mind if I ask when you made your order?

@Sami_Al-halabi I don’t mind at all! :smiley:

Mid-range i7
32gb ram
BYO SSD

2x USB A
1x USB C
1x HDMI
Framework Charger

Ordered:September 26th late in the evening West Coast time.

Preparing to ship your batch: October 14th like everyone else.

Preparing to ship your order: October 25th late in the evening West Coast time.

My card hasn’t been charged yet and I haven’t heard anything else. I am getting a little anxious. This is a big purchase, and I don’t think I was prepared to wait until probably November.

I am limping along with what I have, but I really need an upgrade. My current choices for computing are either slow and small, fast enough and broken, or to share (not ideal). I am glad to hear that people are getting their computers and enjoying them.

2 Likes

I feel like Framework started delivery of the i7 units much sooner than the i5’s.

I hope you can get yours soon enough. My laptop is an ancient Dell Latitude e6520 and after 10 years of productivity it’s well overdue for replacing. It’s been a hand-me-down twice in it’s life but was an excellent machine… right up until it stopped charging, and completely stopped posting after I took it apart and reassembled it. The mobo had quite the corrosion. Funny enough I heard about Framework from my older brother when I was shopping around for a new unit so I’m very eager to finally get my hands on one.

One thing I’ll miss though is the full sized keyboard, but I’m sure there’s an external numpad on Amazon that’ll fit the bill just fine.

Also, I received an email from Framework a few days ago about the status of our deliveries, I asked them how reasonable it would be if we were to expect our orders to come sometime within the next couple weeks. Here’s what they said:

Screenshot 2021-10-25 234952

3 Likes

@Sami_Al-halabi Wow! 10 years on one computer. Sounds like it doesn’t owe you any money! Out of curiosity, were you running Windows on it the whole 10 years, or did you switch to Linux at some point to squeeze more performance out of it? I am new to Linux, and it has really helped me get more speed out of old, slow systems.

That email from Framework is a little concerning.

I was an early adopter of the Microsoft Zune and have been cautious of early adoption ever since. I still use the Zune occasionally and have upgraded the battery and hard drive to an SSD, but it’s by no means my daily driver for music. The repair and upgrade of electronics has been important to me for a long time.

I went into Framework with the intention that the current configuration would last 5 years minimum with the only possible upgrade before 2026 being the SSD capacity or additional ports. I figured that if after 5 years Framework was no longer around, it would be the same as if I had bought any other disposable laptop.

I want them to succeed, and I voted with my dollar. I paid over twice what I did for my last laptop because the inability to repair a laptop is what killed my last computer. I want to recommend Framework to my friends and family, but I am waiting until I have the product in hand and have lived with it for a while.

All of this to say that I wish they would have sent that email to everyone in Batch 4 waiting for their machine. They have been great with transparency so far, but browsing the forum I can see a change from when they first launched to now. I hope they can hire a social media manager soon to talk to all of us nerds on the forum.

Edits: spelling, missing word here and there.

4 Likes