October/Batch 4 Thread

@Jared_P_Champion

You make a great point about Framework’s transparency and that they should hire a social media team to tend to all the questions people are inevitably going to have. I think the issue is just how fast their business is growing that they’re unable to keep up with demand as well as all the shortages we’re dealing with, which just makes the situation worse for everyone.

And as for my Dell, it ran windows 7 when it was new and ran Windows 10 a little after Windows 10 initially launched. I did some much needed upgrades like a new OEM battery, 8GB ram instead of its original 4GB. As well as the biggest upgrade of all, a 500GB SSD (2017). Honestly I’d love to just replace the motherboard with a replacement one but I’m afraid that too wouldn’t work since even if a seller on eBay says “Tested” well, mine was working fine too prior to taking apart the machine. My only guess is that I wasn’t wearing a grounding wrist band when I disassembled it. Or that I bent it too much or something when I tried to remove it from the chassis.

The CPU was a Core i5 2520m and was actually removable from the mainboard. although I never tried dropping in an i7. And the ram was ddr3 1333mhz (I think). It was a little slow but for me perfectly usable. Honestly, now that I think about it, I’d really love to fix that old Dell back up and run Linux on it. I know very well that it would last another 10 years under a nice Linux distro and that would be very cool. It would basically be a classic car that you could still use to do everyday things.

Now that I completely miss my old laptop, let’s see how lucky I get with $40 and 30 minutes on eBay lol. Cheers!

1 Like

My card was charged! Here’s hoping I get the tracking number soon! :smiley:

4 Likes

Update for the data people!

My i5 non-DIY work laptop was preordered Sep 18 (not the 17th that I stated above),
Oct 4 email of the batch,
Oct 25 first preparing to ship email
Oct 27 second prep to ship email and card charged!

The excitement is real. My dying Surface Pro 2 can finally retire … or retire again, after my Surface Pro 7 took a dive out of my truck … Now if I crack a screen at least I can replace it myself …

@Jared_P_Champion @Sami_Al-halabi definitely love Linux for keeping old machines alive, I have a Pentium II Panasonic Toughbook CF-27 circa 1996 that still runs Arch Linux, and I use it to tune my car engine management in my more fun cars. Good ole Serial port and USB 1!

3 Likes

God please just let someone hit confirm on my order at framework. Please just make someone’s pen fall and hit “enter” on their keyboard, anything please!!

3 Likes

Burned by FedEx, just like I expected :joy: it’s been in my city for almost three days and marked as “In Transit”. It originally had an expected delivery date of Monday… then Tuesday… then today… now it just says “Pending”. Last time this happened there were no updates and it took over a week for the package to suddenly show up :sweat:

You’d think I’d have learned to lower my expectations, but nope… still refreshing that tracking page every hour haha.

5 Likes

Well, they ran it down to the wire, but I finally got the machine in from FedEx and have spent the lat couple of hours setting myself up on a fresh Fedora 35 install.

I can confirm almost everything works out of the box (dealing with a lack of sound in a couple of games, minimally low priority, tbh), and first of all the integrations between Framework and Fedora are a nice touch, and secondly on this hardware, Fedora 35 with GNOME 41, flies.

There’s still stuff to do, gotta get the Windows VM for compatibility set up, etc etc, but I am overjoyed to say that despite FedEx’s best efforts the frustration that had replaced my excitement got turned right back around to excitement again.

6 Likes

@Caleb_Majeski That’s really good that you finally got your Framework mate :slight_smile: in the end of all it ended up where it belongs!

Nice setup also btw! What screen is that? Looks like a portable 15.6" screen I bought from that chinese online shop everyone knows :smiley:

2 Likes

That is the portable 15.6" screen from at the very least that Chinese manufacturer that everybody knows. If the image clarity had been a bit better you might have caught some of their branding on the small desk lamp. (Clarity for others - it’s “Lepow”, they’re okay. “Utilitarian” would be a good word.)

The portable display is the model with the better color reproduction, originally bought as an accessory for my Pixelbook which the Framework is turning into a 2-1 bedside media machine.

However because it worked on the Pixelbook out of the box, (same with the stand/dock the laptop is sitting on) I had pretty good reason to think to the set up would wok with Linux on the Framework out of the box, and it did.

Some apps handle the change in UI scaling between the two displays more gracefully than others (GNOME apps do very well, others can be hit and miss, proprietary tends to get wonky.)

I’ll keep checking in until at least you (and the person who I’m pretty sure lives in the same general geographic region in the States as me to empathize about having to deal with FedEx) get theirs in.

Ordered an i5 model on 9/17! I saw the notification for an email from Framework on my phone and felt my heart stop for a moment. Seems like some of the later i5s are getting a bit delayed, but at the very least we have a window of early November and shipping to make up for it! From Framework:

4 Likes

Ordered the i7 model (Performance) and same email. My order was made on Sep-20.

2 Likes

I can only interpret this as someone at FedEx taking my laptop for a joy ride around Burlington for three days :frowning:

Also, notice that it’s still “potentially” delayed. No, FedEx, you do not have power over the definition of time. It is definitely delayed now.

6 Likes

I got the same email as @rosematcha, meaning it’s pretty much a batch 5 order now. I’m not upset though, just kinda disappointed they didn’t communicate something like this earlier. Sounds like something they would’ve known about when the batch first came in. OTOH, maybe it’s the manufacturing partner who isn’t great about communication.

Edit: adding that I ordered the DIY I5 model on September 16th.

3 Likes

I think FedEx in Washington state is really struggling right now… mine has been “in transit” in Seattle since Monday :joy::sweat::sob: I was also just laughing at how the tracking page says “potentially” delayed like they’re not sure if it’s late or not …

4 Likes

I guess the FedEx distro center in my area has been having issues lately, to the point that there were stories on the local news about people’s medicine going bad in transit and other things. I laughed at the same thing when I ordered stuff, even “next day air” stuff that sat at the local distro for a week past the “expected” delivery date and the status was “Potentially Delayed”. I wanted to know when they were going to just admit it was delayed.

So I’m looking forward to that, but the good news is that my card was charged late yesterday. So at least there is that!

3 Likes

DIY i5 barebone with AX210 w/o vPro + 5 expansion cards.

• Order confirmation: 9/19
  • We’re preparing to ship your batch!: 10/5
  • We’re preparing to ship your order!: 10/27
  • Your order is shipping soon: 10/28
3 Likes

I’ve decided to use FedEx for the international shipping because DHL are thiefs and squeeze you for everything (like presenting things at the border, they take +30 USD than FedEx) and I can’t stand them really…

So FedEx foreseen to deliver today (29th) but delay happened and now it’s Monday…

F#@&£#* FedEx…

2 Likes

Well… FedEx is committed to tell me to STFU as they meanwhile changed again the delivery date from 1st November for today!!!

I really wanted to complain about FE but… Yeah in my case they’ve behaved quite nicely I must say and I’m happy!

Along with this badboy I’ve received memory and storage that I’ve ordered yesterday (God bless the Swiss Post)

Going to have lunch now and then going to start thinkering with this

6 Likes

10 min later laptop is assembled with parts I bought + what came with it… No biggy… WiFi module was standard to install but I do have a lot of experience with replacing such modules on other laptops so I am used to it.

Now I’m pushing installations into it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ordered the i5-1135G7 DIY with the non-vPro WiFi and some expansion cards.

• Order confirmation: 9/15
  • We’re preparing to ship your batch!: 10/4
  • We’re preparing to ship your order!: 10/25
  • Your order is shipping soon: 10/27

No tracking number yet, sadly.

From lurking this thread, I think we more or less ordered the same thing on the same day, so hopefully you’re soon to be charged (if you haven’t already been by now)

4 Likes

i5 DIY
9/14 - Ordered
10/4 - Preparing batch
10/25 - Preparing your order
10/27 - Shipping soon
10/29 - Shipped
∞ - Hope carrier doesn’t loose in the void

Promises, promises…

2 Likes