October/Batch 4 Thread

Anyone else not been charged yet?

I made a joke about it still counting as October if it arrived in October 31st, low and behold that is when my laptop is scheduled to arrive, lol

4 Likes

My laptop has shipped, expected to arrive on 11/3. Here’s hoping FedEx is okay in my area. I haven’t used them before, at least not recently.

3 Likes

Mine finally arrived! Here’s the timeline for anybody interested… i7-1165G7

• 9/18: Ordered
  • 10/4: “We’re preparing to ship your batch!”
  • 10/12: “We’re preparing to ship your order!” (charged remaining amount)
  • 10/14: “Your order is shipping soon”
  • 10/18: “Your order has shipped”
  • 10/29: Finally delivered by FedEx, 5 days after the initially expected delivery date (just happy it’s here though!)

Been using it all day and yeah… it’s really nice! Putting in the RAM/memory/wifi wasn’t hard and took maybe 20 minutes.

The touchpad and keyboard feel great and the 3:2 screen is awesome. Battery seems to be dropping at about 10%/hour with some light browsing and the brightness down low, so like others have said I’d expect to get around 6-8 hours of battery life on Windows with normal usage (not bad, not great…)

Only issue I ran into is that my Windows key isn’t showing up on my digital purchases list so I’m running Windows 11 unactivated for the time being… escalated to support and they said they’ll get back to me on Monday. So if anybody else ordered a Windows key, go make sure it’s there before you get the laptop :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

My laptop is in FedEx’s cruel hands now, here’s hoping it gets here on time (November 3) or faster!

2 Likes

I still have yet to be charged :frowning:

2 Likes

Also haven’t been charged yet! I’m fairly certain I’m at the very back of the line, though, so it makes sense. Still, never been more anxious to see a bank charge!

1 Like

Received my laptop (1165G7). Ordered Sept 20. Delivered Oct 24.

Running fedora 35 beta. Think I’m going to throw fedora 35 stable release on it come release.

Feels as premium as my MacBook. Love the keyboard, trackpad, and display.

Even better is knowing that if something happens, I can repair the problem for pennies compared to the cost of repairs with Macs.

If you’re looking for a thin and light, this is the one. The wait is worth it.

One thing to note, if you go DIY edition, be sure to plug in the battery. It isn’t mentioned in the quick-start guide, but if you don’t you’ll have an issue getting things running.

5 Likes

Exactly. To keep things in perspective here, my wife’s 15" mid-2012 MacBook Pro started showing a worrying “condition: replace soon” warning next to the battery icon when charging. Apple would charge a minimum of $259 plus tax but might not do it at all.

I got a 3rd party estimate of $269 installed for an OEM battery or $169 aftermarket.

I would do this myself and it seemed easy but this is the higher end A1398 model which is extremely difficult and even dangerous. No way I’m doing that.

This is what’s great about Framework!

3 Likes

Just as a heads up this “shouldn’t” be necessary. If you’re already on the 35 beta, you’ll be automatically moved to the full release with a simple dnf upgrade on release day.

Thanks for the heads up! This is my first time running Linux on my personal desktop. I have the fedora docs open right now and I’m exploring the Linux command line 2nd edition. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm, I don’t know that I believe this, NJ is 6 states away, iirc:

1 Like

I hate to say this, but I’m contemplating about cancelling my order, partly because my order seems like it will NEVER HAPPEN… (honestly I’m going to give it until the 10th of November to see that my order is charged and that my laptop is at least in the US). Although this is beginning to hurt my academic life for I planned on taking my work with me. I had to install Linux Xubuntu on a Dell Inspiron 1525 I had since middle school and tbh that thing is pretty sweet! Might not even need my Framework after all. But I need it, or a Microsoft Surface Go will do too. But I want to support Framework, but this is beginning to get out of hand. And not gonna lie, November 10th would be disappointing, because just because I get charged, doesn’t mean my laptop is on it’s way to me. So I might even pull out earlier but **** man I was and still am super excited about this thing.

The reason I’m saying this is because October is practically over and I haven’t been charged yet. How can people who ordered the same laptop as me on the same day or later be getting more updates about their order than me? Should I have not bought a 1tb expansion card? Did I buy something with my order that’s holding everything back? This is turning into more frustration than it was excitement.

@Sami_Al-halabi, I can understand your frustration from being excited. The choice it on you if you decide to stick with the order or not.

Order date: Sep 09, 2021
Framework DIY
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7
WiFi: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro®
Expansion Cards
1 HDMI
1 USB-A
2 USB-C

My card was just charged a few days ago and I have yet to get a tracking number. These things take time though especially considering the weather (east coast got some really bad weather past few days), hardware constraints, and shipping delays. Also this batch I think was their biggest order yet from all the word of mouth advertising that was done, so understandable that they have had some turbulence with the fulfillment process.

Fulfillment is a b*tch to get right, it can bring companies down. Once they get the hang of it they will be good, but again these are the pain that people go through for being an early adopter.

It’s the early adopter tax :smiley: I always forget the tax because I get so excited about new stuff.

Hopefully you make a choice that you feel is right for you and provides you less stress.

5 Likes

While I never thought of it that way, I should’ve done so sooner. Perhaps all the excitement everywhere is what made me not think of the bigger picture. I mean, this is perhaps the worst time to be a start up computer company for millions of reasons. And honestly to cancel my order would probably do more harm than good, all the time I spent waiting for nothing, not to mention the promising potential of not just this laptop, but this entire company.

I should view myself not as a “consumer” but rather “an early adopter”. For now that’s just the way it is given the circumstances. Thank you for talking some sense into me.

4 Likes

Not to mention you already figured out a stop gap to use between now and when you do get your hands on it.

I was extremely frustrated in dealing with FedEx, mostly because I saw the problems coming from a mile away and I felt powerless to do anything about it to the extent that I was still grumbling by the time I was lifting the input cover on my DIY model.

By the time I was re-securing the capture screws I was back to neutral and by the time I was logging into the freshly installed OS I was right back to excitement.

I both completely get it and want to reassure you that it is worth the wait.

7 Likes

I am another i5 DIY purchaser who ordered on 9/16. I posted info a few weeks ago, not going to repeat that info.

I did receive the email announcing a delay in my order, just like others are reporting here. Still no charge for the remaining amount on my card at this time.

I can understand the frustration that @Sami_Al-halabi is going through, but at the same time I can’t blame Framework, or equipment suppliers. I just decided to make my decision sometime after a certain youtuber announced he would be investing in the company which probably boosted the number of orders for their computer around that time, and including my interest enough to place an order as well.

Just have to be patient…

2 Likes

Here’s my timeline in case it helps anyone. I was one of the later orders in Batch 4 (Sep 26).

DIY Mid-Tier i7

9/26: Ordered
10/4: Preparing to ship batch
10/25: Preparing to ship order
10/27: Order is shipping soon
10/29: Order has shipped (NJ)
10/31: Order delivered (MA)

3 Likes

Interesting, my battery was already plugged in when I got my DIY kit. Was this the case for anyone else?

2 Likes

??? Not here?

This is the first I’ve seen this mentioned. There’s also nothing in the guides.

I’m thinking this was an error?

There would be a LOT of reports about this if this was normal.

1 Like