OcuLink Expansion Bay Module

I honestly have not ran into issues with a 3080ti on my lenovo legion go (thunderbolt)

Thunderbold it different. Using OCULink is the same as plugging NVIDIA and AMD cards in 2 16x slots in the desktop motherboard. No idea if it will work. Its certainly unsupported configuration.

@Josh_Cook OcuLink is such a nice, future-proof idea, thank you for working on this!!

Got couple of questions. If I order the oculink adapter on your store, would it be a pre-order which would ship whenever you’re finished with the design, or would you then start manufacturing the design you already worked out and ship it? Just to understand and prepare mentally to the ETA being more like 2 or 6 months :slight_smile:

If the design is still in the works, do you have any thoughts about adding a bifurcation enable jumper so that the 8i adapter would work with cables like this to connect to a 4i device or two?

Anyway, no pressure at all, appreciate again that this is being developed at all!

3 Likes

FYI, just to clarify, Framework 16 only exposes 8 PCIe lanes to expansion bays, so a max of 8x slot performance is possible

OcuLink 4x prototypes are ready to be sent off for manufacturing! I need to confirm pinouts for the 8x version though. Please note that if your address is in the EU, you may be charged customs duties + a handling fee by the postal carrier, unless you paid via my website, and you were charged a tax component. If you did not pay via my website and would like to pay customs on checkout, let me know and I can cancel your order and you can reorder it with tax included.

My main objective of this testing is to decide if a redriver is needed for standard lengths (50cm-1m)

21 Likes

I can’t wait to see the conclusion of this project. I’d love an OcuLink-ed eGPU setup for my FW16 but, even though I understand the concept, I just need to see it in action before I buy into it. It’s just the way my brain works.

6 Likes

I do use an oculink x4 solution right now with a m2 adapter connected to a 4070Ti, it’s outstanding ! (The build is just messy currently because it need the input deck and plate to be removed)

See more info here

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing the pics of your setup (minus the card you plan to use). You did a great job, but it is a shame that there are no real enclosures for 8x Oculink, leading to the awkward placement of the cable + the need to 3d print.

I don’t want to DIY too much, so this makes me consider going for a 4x Oculink setup instead. However, I’m worried that this leaves too much performance on the table, considering that I am planning to get a high-end GPU (probably an RX 7900XT).

I thougt i could use sth Like a Micro ITX Case with vertical GPU mount or sth similar to that, but idk If the price will be worth it

Exciting to finally see this idea reach fruition after so long!
Would be great if a redriver wasn’t necessary, good luck

Would having a redriver allow for longer cable lengths?

Yes, but it’s not worth the additional cost and longer development time for a small set of users requiring longer cables. If you were to use a longer cable it won’t make the system just not work, but it might have reduced performance

4 Likes

Would you be willing to share the stl files for your pcb base? It could be very useful for those of us going for a similar setup.

1 Like

Sure, I can do that. I’ll try to find a suitable place for sharing, in the meantime if anyone wants it PM me.

4 Likes

@H_Sundelin hello, I would be interested in receiving the stl files for your pcb base, thank you for sending it!

Beware i just got a minisforum DEG1 pcie to oculink (with redriver) and i’am unable to use it with my first NFHK nvme to oculink adapter.

I just order a new Osmeta adapter wich another guy sucessfully tried, but it seem adapter with redriver are way more reliable.

In the end i probably would prefer a simple full PCIE slot in the back with a riser.

1 Like

how’s the progress for the x8 now?
can’t wait for it to become real!

3 Likes

Could some post Josh’s “OcuLink 8x update email” from July? I bought into the preorder after this email was sent, and would like to see see what the latest official update is. Thanks!

I have it all finalised, just awaiting the review result from the Framework team.

5 Likes

This serves as an update.

1 Like