OLED option for display

Hello
Is there any plans to support OLED display with the upcoming 16 inch laptop?

I really want to get freamwork laptop but the only thing missing is OLED

9 Likes

There has been no further details on the Framework laptop 16 so we don’t know.

1 Like

The nice 2k 90hz one is unfortunately a couple mm wider than the 13inch XD

1 Like

I would be interested in this, since it will have gaming capability, especially high refresh.

2 Likes

If someone finds an oled panel that physically fits the 13 inch framework I’ll probably bully it in there somehow. I earned some experience trying to put the 2k90hz in my t480s XD.

At least for the newer samsung oled you just gotta be careful, it uses the same 40pin connector as edp lcds and it plugs in just fine but the pinout is different and it uses 1.8v io for brightness control instead of the normal 3.3 and has much lower voltage tolerance on the power pins. So it’ll likely need a custom cable with some level shifters and a buck converter.

Alternatively there is allways plan B XD.

2 Likes

I love the idea, to put an OLED or even micro LED screen on m future 16" :ok_hand:t2:

I’d love this option

I would definitely like to see a high spec monitor option. Recent laptops (e.g. Asus) have some very impressive display tech. It’s probably not realistic to compete with them just yet but there is a lot that could be done. I know I would pay more for it.

Freesync. I want freesync, and a decent color space. The refresh rate doesn’t even have to go that high, or be OLED. There are plenty of ways to make an accurate, responsive display, The Framework 13 also has pretty unremarkable reaponse times, and I’d like something actually good in this case.

1 Like

It would be nice to have two panel types for the 16’. OLED for premium and LCD for a more affordable option. Some need the the super pretty graphics (gaming, photography/videography, etc), others just need the raw performance (CAD, AI, music production, etc).

1 Like

microLED would be nice.

Are there actual microled panels in the wild jet?

We’re not there yet / It’s not here yet. But when that happens, at least we’ve already provided the datapoints / our wishes. Hoping Framework will be ready at that point.

Do you have some more info for this? I’ve just bought a Samsung OLED and edp to Display Port adapter board and was trying to figure out why the board won’t power on when connected to the OLED and then I found your post

The OLED hasn’t made any bad sounds so hopefully I haven’t fried it.

If you just plugged it in it is more likely to destroy the adabter board because it shorts both power rails to ground. If you are lucky there were fuses or ocp on the board.

That’s good though, because the power rail would have sent way too much voltage to the oled and the io voltage would have been way too high so it porbably safed the panel.

Still have not made the custom cable.

What kind of more info do you need?

1 Like

I’m curious to look at your source and a comparison of the Samsung and standard pinouts. I’d like to have a go at modifying my cable or designing my own adapter board

Also, if I were to buy a 15.6" 4K OLED from another brand, that should work with the adapter I have till I sort out a solution for my 16" 16:10 Samsung? (currently Samsung seems to be the only brand doing 16:10)

Gotta find the datasheet for your particular panel. The source for the difference is the blown up t480s main-board and a multi-meter. Later I got my hands on a datasheet I was probably not supposed to have that confirmed that.

No Idea but I’d definitely beep out the ground pins first and even then the allowed input voltage may still be a lot lower than what an lcd panel is used to. I don’t think samsung changed the input voltage just to be assholes (not that they aren’t, they pulled a few very asshole moves lately but this might not be one of those), there is probably a technical reason for that.

I also don’t even know of anybody other than samsung making high res oled laptop panels but I have not really looked above 14" so there might be.

My model is a ATNA60YV02-0
I have a multimeter on hand, but I’ve forgotten how to use it. Where do you recommend I probe?

I’ve seen some edp boards specify support for both LCD and OLED, does that mean those ones adjust the voltage for OLED panels?

Just beep out where the found pins are, that’ll allready tell you if the pinout is completely different from the defactor standard lcds use.

No idea, got a link for one?

I’m not sure what you mean with those instructions

I couldn’t find a link to one I saw the other day.

If I understand correctly, pins 18-21 are the ones you mean that need the different voltage?