Organizing the Linux discussions

The DIY Edition section is quickly turning into random linux distro issues. Now maybe the DIY Edition really means the Linux Edition, but I don’t think that’s the intention. And anyway, it’s still disorganized.

So maybe we should have a Linux category, with subcategories for individual distros. We should also have a no-existing-subcategory subcategory, and we can move threads out of that later.

Most importantly, we need a subcategory for distro-independent questions. Or rather, there’s one category of questions that needs to be established & set apart from the the others, namely “Has anyone gotten $SYSTEM to work correctly on any linux distro?” There’s going to be a ton of issues along the lines of: the touchpad doesn’t work properly on Ubuntu Insipid Iguana, or whatever the new version is, which is really due to Ubuntu distributing the wrong version of libinput, or something along those lines.

If I install arch linux on my laptop and sleep doesn’t work properly, but I know that somebody else has sleep working properly on Fedora 34, I can fix it.

This isn’t necessarily urgent; god forbid the framework people should stop making sure orders get out so they can organize the forum better (and I’m definitely not volunteering to be a Community Leader), but it might be worth doing eventually.

Thanks, and please make the fan replaceable

2 Likes

So maybe we should have a Linux category, with subcategories for individual distros.

Maybe we already have the Linux category as a subcategory of DIY Edition here.

Now maybe the DIY Edition really means the Linux Edition, but I don’t think that’s the intention.

I guess that the Framework’s intention is/was to manage a distro & a version’s thread according the following 2 threads created by @nrp.

Perhaps, someone at Framework or some volunteers outside Framework might organize a little bit more by moving and unifying a thread to another or adding a proper category or tag.

1 Like

I don’t think Framework has the manpower to handle trying to devise organization for every possible distro out there. Furthermore with the power of the search functionality here, I don’t think the organizational efforts will be warranted.

Since Framework has only committed to out of the box functionality with Ubuntu and Fedora, I think anything more is a burden for someone else.

don’t think Framework has the manpower to handle trying to devise organization for every possible distro out there.

Perhaps we can assign some community forum leaders outside Framework, that is like Fairphone has been doing.

The Fairphone Angels and Community Forum leaders

These active community members took the initiative to create a special network of super-helpers who offer assistance to Fairphoners in their local area. From organizing community meetups to moderating the forum and helping people face to face, they are as dedicated as we are in making a change.

Furthermore with the power of the search functionality here, I don’t think the organizational efforts will be warranted.

Agree. In my opinion we need to accept or encourage some level of chaos in an innovative or dynamic community.

Since Framework has only committed to out of the box functionality with Ubuntu and Fedora, I think anything more is a burden for someone else.

I think Framework wants to grow this community to grow their ecosystem on the Framework laptop as a platform. A community where great ideas are born, tried and polished. It is a value of the platform.

1 Like

Many Linux distributions have sections in their wikis/documentation which cover specific laptops. Not to say the guides should not also be posted here, but I know a lot of people will check there first so we should prioritize those too. I can submit a Debian guide once my HW arrives, if noone else does it first.

Examples for my previous laptop:
Arch Linux
Fedora
Debian

3 Likes

Great! Thanks! Please let us know here after you submit it.