PC not entering sleep mode when I close screen

Hi everyone!

I’ve noticed that my Framework Laptop 13 (Ryzen 7) doesn’t go to sleep mode when I close the screen. It both connects to bluetooth devices and keeps plugged devices on (my mouse, for instance). Is there a fix to that? Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

Hi. I don’t have a Framework laptop 13, but I have ordered a Framework Laptop 16 which should have a similar CPU and motherboard. I am a Linux kernel developer, so if I see suspend on lid close not working, I should be able to fix it.
In general suspend fails when the Linux kernel has a problem putting a single device into standby. E.g. When it tries to suspend, if it fails to put the sound card into standby, it will abort the suspend operation and leave itself switched on.
Note: You did not say, but I am assuming you use Linux. If you use windows, I cannot help.

2 Likes

I’m seeing the same issue on Linux Mint; if it helps for you to see some suspend logs please let me know what and where they live.

1 Like

Same for me, Framework 13 Ryzen running Windows 11, purchased in December. Inconsistent behaviour with lid closed. I just took it out of my bag and it had been running with lid closed for last 3 hours. Sometimes I close the lid and it powers down, sometimes it enters Sleep mode. I’d say it’s 50/50.
AMD Ryzen 5 7640U w/ Radeon 760M Graphics

1 Like

I would probably need an actual Framework 13 to fix the suspend/resume.
But, if you wish to try, a good place to start is here:
Some useful links:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.7/power/basic-pm-debugging.html

If you want to confirm that it is actually a suspend/resume problem:
mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug
cat /sys/kernel/debug/suspend_stats

and post the output here.,

Thanks everyone for the replies! My laptop is running with Windows 11. I’m having similar behaviours to @Greig_Laughlin. If I put it manually to sleep (i.e. clicking “slee” in the power menu) sometimes it just pops on again.

I was also having issues with BSOD but it appears those have resolved after installing various graphics and chipset driver updates direct from AMD, just FYI.

1 Like

The linux kernel believes that suspending is happening:

$ sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/suspend_stats
success: 10
fail: 0
...many more zeros around failure follow...

But I often get cases where I can hear my closed and supposedly suspended laptop make sounds when it connects to wifi or bluetooth when I bring it home.

Is there something else I should look at?

update: it did not fix BSOD to update AMD Chipset drivers.