Phone dock conversion to the numpad region - idea

I think many of us would be happy if we would be able to implement or use any thinner android phone as hw extension to Framework laptops. Question is that - would it be possible to share the phone features with the hardware and switch between, or use as a kind of “lapdock” solution and run android desktop mode on the Framework laptop? Would it be possible to embed into the chassis my phone and shut the lid down without gap? Where would be enough space, on the right, or at the touchpad part? TIA

If your phone is thinner than 3mm maybe, otherwise not without major modifications.

Not sure about the Framework-13, but the Framework-16 offers 3‎‎‎‎ .7 mm!
Think of the possibilities opened up.

3 Likes

This changes everything!

5 Likes

It would be interesting to have an encased touchscreen module, that connects and uses the cellular modem within the machine. Maybe.

There is a cellular modem in the machine?

@Zoltan_Hoppar

I am reading this as a no

But would be an interesting option to have a cellular modem… a touch screen replacement for the numpad part, and SIP/Voip dialer…

There is a LTE modem coming from a third party: https://liberatedsystems.co.uk/

1 Like

Phone dock might be doable for FW16 in the style of the Motorola Atrix Lapdock, the Expansion Module has a DP in. I don’t know if it would be possible to just use it as a lapdock without powering on the whole computer though, with or without a firmware modification.

The Framework-16 Expansion Bay does not have a DisplayPort input. It’s PCIe, USB 2.0, a bunch of power pins, and some misc control signals. Framework has the Expansion Bay connector pinout on their github. Of course with PCIe you could create any kind of active Expansion Bay module that you’d like. There just is no DisplayPort input natively present that you could simply tap into.

~edit~
I remembered wrong.

It does for allowing the dGPU to connect to the integrated display without having to go through the iGPU.

As per that GitHub: “One is primarily for power, while the other is primarily for PCIe, DisplayPort, and other high speed signals.”

Pins 56, 57, 58, 60, 61, 63, 64, 66, 67, 69, and 70 all relate to the DisplayPort in.

1 Like

You’re right. I was just looking at it as you added that.

There’s nothing like pointing at your source, and your source saying you are very much mistaken. :melting_face: :smile:

ExpansionBay/Electrical at main · FrameworkComputer/ExpansionBay · GitHub

I’ve seen people do that a lot, particularly relating to the drivetrain of the Chevrolet Volt car for some reason (and sometimes even arguing with me about what their source says when I directly quote the source).

In fairness to those people Chevrolet’s marketing did a really bad job of explaining the Volt’s drivetrain (if someone’s interested in a full explanation of that I’d be happy to share it, but otherwise I won’t type it up as it’s not related to Framework).