Pop OS - Don't use Ubuntu 22.04 Guide - Use 24.04 Guide

TLDR:
Install Pop_OS like normal. Install the fingerprint reader packages if you want to use it. Run the command to disable touchpad while typing. Enjoy

While current Pop OS is based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS you should not be using the Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Guide. Pop OS has more up to date packages and Kernel. One of the main updates to Ubuntu 24.04 is the 6.8 Kernel. Pop OS already has this kernel. In the 22.04 guide it recommends switching to the OEM D kernel because it is more up to date and in the 24.04 guide they do not recommend this change. “Allow both CPU and platform drivers to be simultaneously active” is also not needed.

You also don’t need to follow the firmware update guide on Pop OS. Firmware updates are built into the OS. You should get a notification that an update is available. If one is indeed available.

Setting DRI_PRIME=1 should also not be necessary on ‘MOST’ games with Pop OS. I found most games automatically engage the dGPU and the ones that don’t usually just don’t need the extra power.

I found the AppImage to check if an application is using the dGPU does not work. I just used MangoHud and looked at VRM clock speed and core clock speed.

system76-power vs. power-profiles-daemon - Not sure how useful the switch would be. Would require a pretty lengthy test.

Fingerprint reader you just need

sudo apt install fprintd libpam-fprintd

sudo pam-auth-update

You will need to do the disable touchpad while typing config. I think this is due to how the touchpad is removeable.

5 Likes

Thanks. I just needed to disable secure boot before installing Pop

Thanks for this guide ! I just stumbled on it. It would be nice to have it linked at the end of the Laptop setup guide !
In the end, I followed the Ubuntu guide for my Pop_OS setup. Is it possible to reverse the OEM D kernel switch and “Allow both CPU and platform drivers to be simultaneously active” ?

By the way the Discrete graphics usage detection is working fine on my Laptop 16.

Also, about power management, I didn’t yet experiment a lot on it but it doesn’t seems great. I estimated an autonomy of 3h with just basic internet navigation. I noticed that power-profiles-daemon (PPD) is recommended versus TLP for AMD CPU in Optimizing Ubuntu Battery Life. Unfortunately, the guide is lacking info on the correct setup of PPD. If someone know what configuration of PPD is recommended for the Laptop 16, I’m interested !

You don’t need to do anything but install it. If you are in a situation that you want more power slide the power settings to performance. If you’re in a situation you want more battery life at the expense of performance go to power saver.

Otherwise it will do a good job trying to balance the two.

I made the autonomy estimation on power saver mode as the goal is to maximize the battery life.

However, the switch to PPD doesn’t seems to be straight forward and there’s probably conflict with system76-power:

$ sudo apt-get -y install power-profiles-daemon
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 pop-desktop : PreDepends: pop-de-gnome but it is not going to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

It’s probably necessary to remove system76.power beforehand. I didn’t find posts of other people trying this on Pop_OS so I fear of making breaking changes… I wonder if simply reinstalling system76.power would suffice to reverse those changes.

I agree. I have no experience with system76-power, but I am aware that it conflicts.

System76-power is not needed if you have PPD installed. They perform the same tasks and may conflict.

1 Like