Power optimizations under Windows: lower temps, longer battery life

I’m really not in expert in this type of optimization - could similar steps help with the 12th gen? Are there any difference I should expect?

The recommended changes should also be applicable to 12th gen processors. Regarding differences: I can think of higher idle power draw due to the additional cores (4p + 8e vs 4p). But maybe intel did an amazing job with clock gating and there is no issue.

1 Like

This looks like an amazing guide. Sadly even after following it I can’t get my CPU to go below 3W (as seen from Throttlestop). I wonder what I am missing…

It sounds like something is keeping your CPU from reaching its low idle states.
Take a look in task manager ( [Ctrl] + [Shift] + [Esc] to open). What CPU utilization is reported during idle? It should get as low as 1% after a while. If yours is > 5%, what processes are causing the CPU load?
Are they windows/mircosoft processes or third party?

1 Like

It’s idling down to 1% but and I’ve seen it idle to around 2.1W now but that seems higher still then the 0.5w you are seeing.

With Chrome open it generally is around 3-4W

Here’s a 5minutes idle, averaged 0.58W:

for the record: is that the power draw on battery or from the wall?
What jumps to my attention:
Throttlestop is reporting C0% of ~6% on your system where my system achives 1% to 2%. Your CPU spends more time in the fully active C0% state - which is probably the reason for the higher power draw.
Some process is keeping you CPU occupied. I recommend you to experiment a bit with disabling third party services: e.g. disable google drive and displaycal and see how much C0% reduces.
Be aware: your ThrottleStop is currently only in monitoring mode. To apply ThrottleStop settings you have to click on ‘Turn On’

Is this CPU power from HWinfo64? System power from HWinfo64? Or measured some other way?

I could have been clearer about that:
The reported values are for CPU package power draw as shown by ThrottleStop.

Looks like Google Drive was pulling a little bit of CPU. DisplayCal was basically nothing. FxSound however was over a watt! That was quite surprising. I had that installed to make the speakers sound better, one of the biggest problems with the Framework laptop in my option.

1 Like

Thanks! In that case, my 12th gen, with a stock windows install (and framework driver package installed), is very similar. On AC power / balanced profile and idle it’s about 0.5-1W on both DC/AC power with balanced profile.

IDo these power settings affect performance? My cinebench came in at 3703. I’m very pleased with the fan noise reduction, but a ~25% drop in speed does not seem balanced.

My system is an i5-1135g7 with 32gb of ram running windows 11.

According to framework’s internal testing the score should be over 5000.

Did you cap the TDP, or was there some windows updates running in the background?

In general though, you can’t have both great battery life, AND, high performance. … Unless you have a larger battery.

I realise I can’t have my bits and eat them too. My goal was to keep my framework from sounding like a tiny vacuum during simple tasks.

After removing all the settings in this thread, disabling windows update in services.msc, and setting the power option to performance, my score went up to 4800. After installing bios 3.10, my score went up to 5003. That was especially surprising because I couldn’t find anything in the bios release notes that mentioned a performance improvement.

Something is still amiss as the lab benchmark is 5100.

I would consider this close enough.
The results will vary from machine to machine and from run to run.

3 Likes

If you are just using your Framework for general stuff, then just switch off the CPU turbo boost in the BIOS.

I switched mine off a month ago. Have noticed no difference in day to day usage and it’s quieter.

Only takes a minute to switch it back on if you need the boost.

2 Likes

I thought switching it off in BIOS only applies to the governor in the BIOS? Windows override the control when it boots.

Nope just switch off the boost in BIOS and my Framework locks to max 2.8Ghz under load in Windows 99.9% of the time.

2 Likes

I switched off boost in my BIOS and it appears to be working. I don’t use monitoring software but the clock speeds look correct when I open task manager and the laptop is dead silent for the most part.

1 Like

Yeah I think due to tech reviews and benchmarks we get fixated that we need faster and faster peak performance but day to day? For 90% of what we do? Nope, it just has to keep up with what we are doing. Modern chips have plenty of head room nowadays. I bet I could downclock (if I could) this Framework to a max of 2GHz and I still wouldnt notice in most of the stuff I do. I got fast dual channel CL20 ram and a SSD that can do 6900+MBps which all helps keep stuff smooth.

1 Like