Qualcomm NCM865 Fastconnect 7800 Windows 11 fixes

So I swapped out my Mediatek with the Qualcomm NCM865 wireless card and had a few issues that I am sure others have experienced. I believe I have worked out the main problems and this is for anyone doing the same swap:

Problem 1: Drivers, No idea why it is so hard to get up to date drivers for this card. The usual posted ones have timestamps from last year. With those drivers I was getting very abnormal connection rates (between 5-300Mbps) and the closer I was to a transmitter the worse it got.

Windows update would not find anything newer but you can manually download the newest drivers for both wifi and BT from the windows update catalog: Microsoft Update Catalog

Just open the CAB files and extract to get the latest drivers. My upload/download speeds are now about where I expect them at 600 down 500 up

2: Bluetooth audio, I was also having issues with bluetooth headphones not getting audio, the usual fix of disabling the telephony service did not help in my case.
I found for some reason my headset was being associated with 2 bluetooth devices in windows, The Qualcomm one and another listed as ā€œAMD BT Audio Deviceā€.

By disabling the ā€œAMD BT Audio Deviceā€ located under ā€œSound Video and Game Controllersā€ in the device manager all my issues were resolved BT audio works perfectly now.

These fixes were tested on a FW16 7840 no dGPU

1 Like

Just wanted to thank you for this. I put the same card in an ASUS G14 (2024) and had the same bluetooth audio issue. Your solution worked for me as well.

I found the updated drivers from Lenovo but your solution is more elegant.

Thank you thank you thank you, I got the MSI Fastconnect 7800 and this solved the bluetooth headphone audio problem, one restart and my AirPods Max work perfectly now.

Thanks for the guide. Iā€™m upgrading my AP and looking for a wifi 7 card myself.

Have you tested this under Fedora? How easy is it to get this working there?

If you donā€™t have Fedora installed, can you see if it works with just the live USB?

So far this card sucks. The latest drivers I can find are the 3.0.0.1207 from March and Iā€™m barely getting 500/600 vs my RZ616 which I could get >1Gb on.

I must be missing something hereā€¦