Recommended laptop bags / cases / sleeves?

Snug.

1 Like

Anyone bought a CushCase for the GPU-Model version and is using it on a Framework 16 without a GPU module? Is the fit still fine and does the laptop move a lot around?
I want to buy a CushCase and currently don’t have a GPU module, but in the future I maybe want to add one, so I want to rather go for the version that is made for the GPU module attached.

Yes, I have a FW16 with GPU and with the CrushCase. I have tried the FW16 without the GPU on my recent trip to Europe in the CrushCase and it seems fine to me, has about an Inch more space to move side to side in, but as the case is soft on the inside, it doesn’t pose any issues that I can see.

1 Like

I ended up getting a Modern Dayfarer V2 XPac (DAYFARER V2 Backpack XPak | Premium Gym & Work Backpack)

Con: My FW16 with dGPU does not fit the dedicated external laptop sleeve. I haven’t tried with it with the base expansion bay. It’ll probably fit with the base expansion bay but it’ll be tight. The FW16 with dGPU was too wide by 10mm.

Maybe pro: The FW16 with dGPU fits in the internal laptop sleeve. The internal laptop sleeve does not extend all the way to the bottom so there’s the advantage of having a false bottom. However, the internal sleeve is not padded. So the only padding is from the backpack body and the sides. As long as I don’t put any sharp objects against the internal sleeve, the laptop is safe.

Why did I decide to keep the Dayfarer despite the issues above? Because the above issues are not dealbreakers for me. And the Dayfarer just looks too good :blush:

Was this with a dGPU or not? Moreover, is there any premium everyday carry bags that can handle 17 inches laptops. Trying to find a good bag that can fit my FW16 + dGPU + CushCase and that has additional wiggle room in case of future GPU upgrades changing the dimensions of the laptop. Currently looking at these:

In the LTT bag, if you have the dGPU, can you still use the other two smaller compartments for another small laptop and tablet? Or are they so stretched that they can not hold anything anymore? I have another 13 inch laptop and a tablet.

Did it fit?

To create a screen protector I ordered this mousepad from Amazon:

I then used a rotary cutter (wife is a quilter and she is not aware I did this) with the laptop keyboard section on top of the mouse pad (had the screen open to 90 degrees and hung over the edge of the cutting table) to get it close to the correct size and then did minor trimming to get the final fit. I elected to cover the entire lower section of the 16 and not just the keyboard.

You can actually make 2 FW16 covers with this pad. At $9 the pad is relatively cheap and the only thing I would use. I got the idea from using a very thin mouse pad (I somehow acquired) to provide the same protection on my FW13 for the last 3 years. Unlike cloth or other material it won’t wad up, is not easily creased, and you always have a mouse pad if you need one.

It is very thin with satin material on one side and soft rubber on the other. It fits perfectly between the screen and keyboard and puts zero stress on the closed screen/hinges.

1 Like

As I have no tablet, i can’t say for sure, but it should fit.
Atleast an 13 inch laptop does fit in its dedicated compartment.
Of course, you can’t put an Switch or SteamDeck in the supposed place, but the 16inch pocket is still useable.

1 Like

I ended up getting the patagonia black hole mini mlc 30l. It is a tight fit with the dgpu but it works. It’s been on 6 flights already and the laptop is fine.

1 Like

Hey, anyone here knows any Eastpak backpack that would fit the FW16 with and without GPU please? I’m really familiar with that brand and I can’t seem to find anything that would fit the laptop (but I’m very bad at searching things)…

For what it’s worth, mine fits with the GPU installed. I think the fabric more so than the protective foam is being compressed to allow the fit. The fit feels appropriately snug. I can still slide the laptop in and out without any difficulty. Similarly to you, I got this because it fits all my essentials (power, extra ports, and a few other knick-knacks) in a small package. I don’t know how great the padding actually is but it feels pretty protective to me. I’ll be getting a shoulder bag or backpack for when I need to travel further than one point from my car as this bag only has a carry handle. But yeah this compact bag feels pretty good for the price.

Hey I was wondering how this backpack is holding up, kind considering it rn

So, as already mentioned, I got myself the Tomtoc A49 bag, which seems to be not available anymore. Nevertheless I promised to test, if the FW16 with the current available dGPU module installed would fit. I found some sturdy and thick pieces of cardboard, though less than 3cm thick in summary, put them inside the bag at the bottom and the FW16 on top:

As you can see, it will be a really tight fit

And yes, it closes, BUT the corners are pushing from the inside and the bag has no padding on this part. Not so good…

So, does the FW16 including dGPU Module fit inside? Probably yes, but I wouldn’t recommend it!

What will I do, if I buy a dGPU module in the future, which may or may not be even bigger? To be honest, I think I’ll get a new bag.

Hello,

FWIW, I ordered this one from EastPak and the FW16 fits well in. You just have to adjust the up side along the zip (which is rounded) to make it fit, but it’s not a problem for me because 1) you don’t have to force anything, just adjust, and 2) the backpack is small enough to be worth it.

However I don’t think it would be OK for the FW16 with the GPU (I don’t have one, I can’ test)

I’ve bought the Framework Laptop 16 Sleeve Case from CushCase, too, and I put the FW16 in it before packing them in the backpack.

My 2 ¢

I have a similar backpack already (if not the same) and saw that the FW16 was fitting nicely, however it doesn’t protect anything and makes the bag look weirdly shaped. But thanks anyways! I might check how these FW16 sleeves hold up :+1:

I found myself in the same boat as everyone else in this thread. I managed to find a solution for myself at my local Goodwill. How useful this info might be to anyone else is probably limited, but I present to you the Targus CUD1 from circa 1997.

Created in a time when laptops had 10" screens and were as thick as dictionaries. This absolute unit of a bag was designed to carry a laptop and some other device (such as a printer). Now it holds a Framework 16 with dGPU quite well vertically. Horizontally it needs some filler (right now I’m using the stand I bought for it wrapped in bubble wrap).

4 Likes

I’ve been using bunch of different bags for my Framework Laptop 16, including some tote bags. I think my favorite one is my Timbuk2 Rogue bag, it’s a really big one and I prefer using it when I have a lot of things to carry besides my laptop.

If you need something cuter, I can also confirm that Framework Laptop 16 fits into weratedogs’ totebags.

2 Likes

I am really impressed by the following bag as it holds my Framework 16 with dGPU in the cush case cover and I still have another pocket for another laptop, tablet, and various other items.
I still have to test my other bag, though it does not fit the Cush case sleeve. It still protects the laptop itself and has fun features like connection for charging devices on the outside.

https://a.co/d/2bi4tXE

I can confirm the Framework 16 standard (not having the dedicated gpu) fits the Targus Classic backpack model.

The inner laptop bag is just exactly wide enough. It wouldn’t work if it had 1 cm more.
If it had the external GPU it does not fit.

An alternative to have the dGPU on would be not to use the inner laptop bag but that would remove the sponge cushion protection from the inner laptop bag. A layer of sponge would have to be added to the base of the backpack.