Recommended laptop bags / cases / sleeves?

I just preordered the Framework Laptop 16, and am wondering: does anyone (either a Framework employee or someone with a different 16" laptop) have a recommended bag/case/sleeve they like?

I’m specifically looking for something I’d keep the laptop in when not using it, preferably with storage for extra expansion bays/cards. :smile:

EDIT: Adding the dimensions that @the9thdude was smart to add, and I’ll also convert to imperial units.

Dimensions of the Framework 16:

• Metric:
    • Without GPU Module
      • 270mm (W) x 357mm (L) x 18mm (H)
    • With GPU Module
      • 291mm (W) x 357mm (L) x 21mm (H)
  • Imperial:
    • Without GPU Module
      • 10.63" (W) x 14.06" (L) x 0.71" (H)
    • With GPU Module
      • 11.46" (W) x 14.06" (L) x 0.83" (H)
8 Likes

@nrp It’d be awesome if framework worked with a bag manufacturer for a tailor fit case for the the 16 and 13

7 Likes

Most online retailers include the internal dimensions of their laptop bag/sleeves/cases listed, so you should cross reference the physical specs to ensure good fitment. While I would certainly appreciate if Framework found a partner for a sleeve, there’s a pretty good amount on the market.

Dimensions of the Framework 16:
Without GPU Module: 270mm x 357mm x 18mm
With GPU Module: 291mm x 357mm x 21mm

3 Likes

Linus has teased a 16in laptop bag in a recent video so that may be a viable option depending on exact dimensions.

2 Likes

Definitely need bag suggestions for the 16. Gonna need something awesome for this machine.

I’ve found a couple things I think would fit the 16 based on measurements but I haven’t settled on anything conclusive yet:

I’d link more but I’m new to the forum so I can only post two links at a time.

2 Likes

It’s a pity this is going to be larger than a MacBook pro. Means a majority of my briefcases/bags won’t be able to carry this thing around. The depth is 30-40mm too deep.

Here’s a Faraday bag from SLNT that has an extra outer sleeve for documents but could probably fit expansion cards too

I doubt it’ll be compatible considering just how deep the FWL16 is.

These two bags from Lenovo will both fit the FW16 with the graphics module, although the first one would be quite a tight fit.
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/p/accessories-and-software/cases-and-bags/backpacks/4x40x54260
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/p/accessories-and-software/cases-and-bags/backpacks/gx40v10007

2 Likes

Note that although the LTT backpack technically shows dimensions that are slightly too small to fit a Framework Laptop 16 with Graphics Module installed, we’ve found that it fits snugly on the sample we have on hand. It’s possible that unit to unit variation on the bag could make that not guaranteed to work, but we are discussing this with the LTT team on adjustments for the future.

25 Likes

I did some looking around to see if there were any bags that were a little more compact than the LTT backpack, and came across this one that claims it has a sleeve big enough for a laptop the size of the Framework 16. I’ve been meaning to get a new bag for a while now, so I ordered one, and I’ll test it out with a cardboard cutout of the laptop when it gets here, and report back if it’s a good fit.

5 Likes

I got the bag in, and it is a snug fit, but it definitely works. I have a cardboard cutout that is about 290mmx360mm to match the dimensions of the framework 16 with the gpu modules, and it fits in the laptop sleeve of the bag. I’ve attatched some pictures to show the amount of space you’re working with.

It also works decently well with the Framework 13 due to the elastic top, though there is definitely more wiggle room.

7 Likes

Awesome research here. I like the look of the bag and it looks like a good fit!

1 Like

I just purchased this bag: SWISSGEAR Core Travel 22" Backpack

It fits up to a 15" laptop. Going back to the dimensions given I can assume when I get my laptop in Q1 of next year it will fit right? I don’t want to get a bag for a laptop that won’t fit it and find out months later.

preorder left a hole in my wallet so I went with this and I’m happy with it :joy:

Edit: I’m a U.S. college student

1 Like

@HighGoat Oof, I feel you on that. I work retail, with a side job and weaponizing my hobbies of my art for money. I feel you on that. Right now I have a Chrome Industries messenger bag that I bought a couple of years ago, and I’m trying to figure out laptop sleeves that will fit it as well as my Kamvas Pro 16 drawing display monitor.

I was just made aware of this on a reddit post.

7 Likes

Does anyone know of a hard exterior sleeve which will work with FW16?

A hard case?

I doubt it until they’re finalised and in customers hands. A sleeve they can design based off the specified dimensions, you don’t have to accurately line up vents, port cutouts etc which may be subject to change.