Replace the fan and be happy

Please please please make the fan replaceable. I hate having a defective fan from all that dirt an dust. After several cleanings you know that one day the only thing left to do is to just replace it.

Came here from LTT. I hope you can ship to Philippines soon (where it’s hot and dusty). I want my next laptop to say framework on it.

2 Likes

I believe they have you covered :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: (link to heat sink and fan replacement guide )

6 Likes

Please please please make the fan replaceable. I hate having a defective fan from all that dirt an dust. After several cleanings you know that one day the only thing left to do is to just replace it.

1 Like

Please make the fan replaceable

1 Like

It is, just not individually, because it is integrated into a cooling solution with heatpipes. That is what @FaultedBeing had pointed out earlier via the link too.

1 Like

Btw every laptop fan is technically replaceable if you got the know-how and tools for it :wink:

After doing some maintenance I have the good news that the fan is replaceable/removable (even if we currently don’t have an option to buy just a replacement fan) at least there is a way to clean the inevitable build-up on the heatsink.

To remove you must access the underside of the MOBO where you will find 3 Phillips screws in the fan housing, remove those then on the top side of the MOBO unscrew the two captive torx screws and finally there is some black tape adjacent to the fan cable which holds the two halves together, peel the bottom side up, unplug the fan and lift it out.

6 Likes

Thank you for this. I had tried to remove just the fan to clean the heat sink and hit a roadblock until I found this. I’m kinda disappointed there’s no (easy) way to remove the fan without completely removing the heat sink (to avoid having to re-paste it), but it’s at least helpful that’s it’s doable without removing the whole motherboard.

I was thinking that my heat sink was clogged, since it seemed like the airflow wasn’t what I was expecting, and the fan was spinning for a while after a brief load. I followed the steps to remove the cooling solution, then removed the fan from the heat sink. I managed to remove a fairly impressive dust bunny that didn’t look like was completely clogging the heat sink, but was likely still affecting airflow. Once I cleaned that out, I replaced the cooling solution, and it seems to be working great now.

I guess take this as a reminder: the 11th gen laptops are now around 2 years old now, so if you’ve been regularly using it, it’s probably time for some routine cleaning.

1 Like