Replace the Windows key with a Linux one or at least a generic "super" one

My read of that quote is that it’s not meant for individual switch replacement like you can do on a mechanical keyboard. That’s a very different thing from a keycap though.

Here is the question that reply seems to have been in reply to:

1 Like

Ah, ok thanks for clarifying that

I, like @horizonbrave mentioned, recognize that this is just a small detail in an already beautiful and amazing product - but like so many in this thread, it’s a small detail I can’t help but care about.

I wish I were brave enough to order a blank keyboard, I love the look of the blank black keys. I just don’t trust myself to know where anything is beyond the standard QWERTY letters…

Personally, the work-around I’m planning to try once mine arrives, is just a layer of acrylic paint via a paint marker on the super key. So it’ll just be blank, matte black. We’ll see how it holds up…

The FW logo on the “windows” shouldn’t even have to be requested. How did the wizards at Framework miss this opportunity??

6 Likes

Here’s what I’ve done. I’m not advising this- I mean, I’m glad to have done it, but it’s by no means a perfect solution.

I grabbed an acrylic marker with two ends and used one end to, “paint,” the super key, and kept the other end dry to move the paint around, because I didn’t want to get so much paint on the key that it overpoured and got on the body, down under the metal, etc:

(notice there’s one, “clean,” end there and one inky end)

But I wasn’t happy with how the clean end, though effectively spreading the paint around, left lines in the dried layer:

So I did another layer, nice and thick, but careful to not let it overflow the edges of the key:

After letting that dry about 10 minutes, I’m really happy with how it looks in most light:

But if I get the light to just the right angle, it doesn’t look great:

I am happy with it, personally, as an interim solution to get rid of the Windows logo figuring I’ll someday replace the keyboard entirely, or something. But it’s certainly not a, “forever-fix”…

NOTE: I’ll be using a cleaning cloth, laid over the keyboard, whenever the screen is closed. I like doing this anyway to keep finger-grease off the monitor, but especially with this acrylic layer on the super key. Supposedly it’s now a solid, plastic layer on top of the key, but I’m not going to risk getting any residue on the monitor…

5 Likes

+1 for the Framework logo.

6 Likes

RE: above post regarding the acrylic paint over windows key (update):

After a few days of use it actually looks a little better. It’s still not a perfect solution. If you get the light just right, you can definitely tell this key is different from the rest. It’d be awesome to have just a blank key there, same finish as the rest, but no icon/logo on it at all… Here’s what it looks like now, when I get the light to shine just right, to make it look as bad/different from the rest of the keys as possible:

And it does not look great when the backlight is on. Here it is at full-brightness:

But most of the time, this is what it looks like:

1 Like

Now I want a little circle and slash sticker to put over that logo, as a more active protest …

1 Like

I’m with @bmstrong and all the others - +1 for the Framework logo.

6 Likes

I wonder if there’s a kick-back from Micro$oft for putting the Windows logo on it? If that’s the case I resent that is the state of the universe but I’m happy to put up with it, even though I run Linux on mine, just to increase the chance Framework succeeds by 0.0024%.

1 Like

I remember reading that it’s mandatory if the laptop manufacturer wants OEM discounts for Windows licenses.

2 Likes

Could Framework provide an adhesive sticker the same size and shape as the keys, and made from the same material as the actual key caps to cover the extortion-required logo key?

They probably have other priorities right now, but this would sound like a nice community DIY project!

4 Likes

Relatively expensive solution, but I got around this by ordering the blank keyboard from the marketplace. No logos when there’s no legend.

1 Like

Further update on above-described attempt to paint the super key:

I’d hoped that by using exterior-strength acrylic it’d hold up for a long time, but tonight it all just suddenly flaked-off. Luckily it wasn’t messy, just a black dust, and the Windows logo rose like a Phoenix from the ashes…

3 Likes

Has anyone tried sanding it off? Thinking a very fine grit would remove the silkscreened logo, and leave a little texture, without changing the look too much. Mask off the area as best as possible first, and try to keep any grit and/or plastic out of the machine (maybe do it upside-down?).

1 Like

The logo is not printed on top of the black key surface; the black key surface is printed with the logo masked out of it. That’s how it remains transmissive for the keyboard backlight.

5 Likes

Well… File that under “D” for “duh.” :slight_smile: Should have realized that before asking the question. Haven’t used my Framework in the dark enough yet to have thought much about the backlight.

3 Likes

So not a big problem, some matt black nail varnish and then scratch a personal icon.

1 Like