Replaced CMOS battery in 11th gen framework, but still experiencing freezing issues

Hello everyone, I’m not a particularly computer savvy person, but I bought a framework generation 13, now running windows 11, a few years ago because I believe company’s mission. Starting a while back, I’ve been dealing with a problem where my laptop slows down and starts to stutter when I play games or watch YouTube. I don’t think I’m using much computing power, I only play league with friends, but I’m not sure. I emailed back and forth with framework support and it seemed to be an issue with the cmos battery, common among the early laptops.

Since, I’ve replaced the battery (I brought it to a shop and they did all the work), but I’m still dealing with the slow down issue. Today I was watching YouTube and the system started to have extremely delayed responses. I plugged my laptop back in and let it cool down for a while, but it’s eight hours later and still running slow. I’m used to it taking a full 24 to get back up and running, but I was hoping for some change with the new battery.

For some added info, sometimes the laptop’s time is off by an hour or two when I turn it on, always behind. Additionally, it gets pretty hot when I run it. Not sure if this is normal though, since all the laptops I’ve had have tended towards heating up. Since I changed the battery, I no longer get an error code blinked out every time I turn on the computer.

In five days, I’m moving back to Japan, where framework doesn’t ship parts, so I’m a little nervous about my laptops shape. If anyone has any ideas about what’s going on, it would be much appreciated.

Best,
Jackson

Are you still in touch with Framework? I think that is your BEST way forward.

Slow downs as a result of throttling could mean that heat dissipation is not good enough. It is possible that you are hitting a thermal wall due to something like this. Talking with Framework about it is important. They would be able to suggest the way you should go.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

So there is the clock which is the CMOS battery type issue. There are permanent workarounds for that or as you did, replace the ML1220 (CMOS | RTC battery)

On the ML1220 issue Framework will send you a replacement for the 11th Gen at any time. However if you use the laptop plugged in most of the time the ML1220 will last a long time.

I use my 1165G7 some 6 hours a day with no ML1220 issues yet.

Here’s a link to the ML1220 issue

here’s a link to the workaround which again you may like to get a shop to do for you.

Much of the above may have been talked over with Framework ??

Else as 2disbetter says the heating issue could be a poor thermal connection between the CPU and heat sink.

You may like to insatll this to keep a track of the core temp, you can have a small icon in the notification tray to show the changing temp. This is a windows one

Appreciate it, thank you!

Thanks for all the info!

1 Like