Request: Review of Framework Laptop 16 Keyboard Layouts

Generic feedback - I like the context menu key on a full size keyboard, I miss that on my Framework 13.

Specific - any plans for other languages to get RGB? I’m specifically interested in UK

1 Like

So I would buy this laptop for this (type of) keyboard alone if this option would become available:

3 Likes

This is my predicament as well

2 Likes

No longer a predicament for me. Numpad Module does not come in RGB. Almost accidentally ordered the RGB Macropad. Would look real silly to have an RGB keyboard with a White backlight Numpad.

So many keyboard options yet still not the ones I want. RGB English Linux Keyboard with an RGB Numpad, please! Look Framework, Linux users are gamers now and we still like typing numbers real fast. Got it?

At least at the end of the day I don’t have to look at a stupid Windows logo. I can at least be happy about that. Still the most money I have spent on a laptop ever, by 3 times. Never been a high end laptop worth getting knowing they are disposable.

3 Likes

Are the Framework 13 layouts same as framework 16 layouts?
if not can we also have similar thread for framework 13? (search did not find it)
Its not clear even when looking at keyboard photos in market place as they dont show the layout.

also want framework logo for super key.
US english layout looks strange being text on right and symbols on left
would be better to also make shift, caps, tab also symbols.

No, not really.

They’re already there. For example here: Request: Review of Italian, Spanish (Spain), and Chinese (Traditional) keyboards

I assume these threads are more for spotting obvious mistakes, like mislabeled/swapped keys. I assume Framework is aware of most of the other wishes, like the Framework Logo on the Windows key, or more exotic variants, or stuff that’s personal preference, but they obviously can’t create hundreds of different variants and are limited by space and contracts (for example Microsoft likely requires the Windows logo on the keyboard of the Laptops that ship with Windows).

FW16 preorderer here [edit: DIY]. I have a few questions regarding the keyboard layouts. Is this the appropriate place to ask?

1. US English (Linux/V2) was not available for me to select in the preorder process. What is the status of this layout? Cancelled? Available at a later date?

2. International English Linux layout looks geometrically identical to US English, with only a couple key labels different (super, alt gr, and perhaps ). Am I correct in thinking that this layout is electrically identical to US English and will function as such if I configure my OS to use US English layout? (If so, I will change to this layout as I would like the super key label.)

3. Can I rearrange the keycaps easily? If so, I would swap some modifier key locations because I have weird preferences there.

4 Likes

Prebuilt or DIY?
I’m able to select the Linux keyboard on both Prebuilt and DIY.

You can do that with any keyboard.

I know with the Framework-13 they say the keycaps are not designed to be removable, and that you risk breaking them. I believe it’s the same for all normal laptop keyboards using membrane switches. The arms that keycaps clip onto are very tiny. You’re dealing with a tiny bit of plastic, so it’s not going to be very durable for snapping on and off.
That said, at least a couple people have switched around Framework-13 keycaps successfully.

DIY. When I visit the configurator, I see International English - Linux but not US English - Linux.

Thanks. I thought as much, but have only ever used US English layouts. I was worried that the International English - Linux keyboard might send slightly different scan codes, requiring adjustment with QMK, which admittedly would be an inconvenience but not a blocker.

I must admit, I’m not 100% certain.
For QMK, I know from their github that they’re building a firmware version with Via support, that would make it quite easy to change keys. I don’t know if that will be the default firmware they’ll ship with. I prefer Vial myself.

Via support makes it super easy. OK, then: I asked support to change my keyboard to International English - Linux on the preorder.

1 Like

I was not trying to say they should necessarily do it with the page up and down keys. I would be fine without them.

But just putting small arrow keys on a laptop like that, is just hated by the vast majority of people I know.

Why wouldn’t they do the left and right arrow keys make big, at the very least?

No, we need superfluous keys like the second, huge shift on the right side, instead of properly sized arrow keys.

That just speaks for them being out of touch.
Like, who uses those flimsy keys?

It’s a disgrace.

It’s a matter of taste, and habit. Not a universal criteria.

The physical layout resemble a lot to the one of my 2016 Dell XPS, including these small arrow keys. I hated it at first, and for a long time. Now I am used to it and happy to see it on the FW16 :slight_smile: .

Only difference I see with my XPS layout is that the row 4 staggering is slightly shifted, such that | is not a standard 1u. And that’s will be a minor pain for me as I move this key around… Would have to swap it for a non-legend one maybe (even if I touch type I prefer to keep the legend consistent for those very tiring days).

Understandably there may be a small number users at this point in time (if ever!), but any chance for a pt_BR layout (List of QWERTY keyboard language variants - Wikipedia)?

I would like to 3rd the vote using the Framework logo rather than the “super” text too. I think its a great subtle way to promote and brand a special laptop. :slight_smile: And I’m more than happy to talk about it if anyone asks!

Also add another vote to having an LED indicator for Fn lock (like Caps). Too often I have the uncomfortable situation where I had to guess if I’m already in Fn locked mode or not. Not cool.

As for the numlock/Fn key for the number keypad, I have mixed feelings about removing the numlock. It’s been a tradition, but I do like the idea of relegating the secondary functions to Fn (it’s already a secondary key modifier already) and repurposing the traditional numlock. If you DO decide to keep the traditional numlock, please put a LED indicator for it too please.

And whatever the case, I already put in my pre-order. If this keyboard becomes available, can I modify my order to use this English US Linux keyboard instead of the standard one I have? I sent a support ticket.

Thanks!

3 Likes

I would get one of the RGB keyboard options.
You could then program the Fn key to change color to indicate that Fn-lock is on (or off), same for numlock, or literally any key. It does take modifying the QMK firmware code (you can’t currently do it from a GUI), but it’s not too hard. And I’m willing to bet users will post step-by-step guides and even just precompiled firmware.

You can remap the “numlock” layer to be whatever you want.

The amount of things you can do in QMK, people who have never used it will be amazed.

Agree 100%

Would be REALLY NICE.

Please.

I hope it’s not too late for the changes. But we can stay positive because Framework delivered so much cool and innovative stuff the last 2 years and almost always heard the community and improved things. But they have a lot of things to do in the moment with the FW16 release. So it probably just takes a while.

Is there a updated Version of the GERMAN layout?

Probably not, the detail images in the keyboard selection of the configurator show the original version for German while an updated version is shown, e.g., for Spanish.

Until you’ve run multiple consumer surveys about this and aren’t just going off the opinions of you and your friends, I’m going to trust that Framework has a little more knowledge about their overall customer base and what they want from a keyboard layout.

4 Likes