Request: Review of Framework Laptop 16 Keyboard Layouts

Does anyone else need a US keyboard layout but with the CapsLock and Ctrl keys swapped? I can find mechanical keyboards with this “old fashioned” pre-PS/2 layout but I’d love to have a laptop with the “correct” layout having the Ctrl key left of the A.

Welcome to the forum.

You’ll be able to easily swap them with QMK, which the Framework-16 input modules all come with. And use decals if you need the labels switched too.

Is there any dxf/dwg/anything with units of the keycaps/keyboards released yet? I’d like to make some clear keystickers for the ansi rgb and the rgb macropad.

2 Likes

I configure the Caps Lock position to be LCtrl.

It’s not a swap though. My bottom row modifiers are different too:

LWin LAlt RCtrl Space Compose Menu Fn RWin

I might be late, but Hungarian layout looks okay, although it does contain a couple of alternate characters that don’t tend to be printed on the keys.

Ä (AltGr E) and ä (AltGr A) are not part of the Hungarian alphabet and are not typically printed on the keys.

Í (AltGr I) and í (AltGr J) have a primary key already, left to the Y key. So, these again are not printed on the I and J keys.

< (AltGr M) and > (AltGr : ) are duplicates, the primary location for these characters is at the Í and Y keys on the left. So, again, these are not typically printed on the M and : keys.

Otherwise, it looks good to me. Hope to see a Hungarian layout for the 13", that may be the last thing holding me back from the purchase.

1 Like

While was pointed on another topic that are 250M of Portuguese native speakers, most of them are in Brazil. In Brazil there is another standard, usually called ABNT2 (see image bellow). I suppose the offering of Spanish Latin America layout - Framework | Framework Keyboard - is compound by the Spanish Latinx speakers in USA, not only those on Spain market. Even so I would like to suggest to put in consideration a Portuguese Brazilian layout when starting the sales in Portugal. The layout is, unfortunately, almost ISO, there are 4 keys between “M” and the right Shift (instead of 3 in the ISO). The main issue with the Portuguese European/ISO layout, and any layout that makes the access to “[”, “]”, “{”, “}” through Alt Gr, is that it is a programmer’s hell and nightmare. Please put a layout more “programmer-friendly”:

I don’t know if it’s been said but a RGB numpad would be nice to match the RGB keyboard. Might look a bit odd with RGB keyboard and just white numpad.

Czech/Slovak keyboard layout updated, seeking feedback please.

Slovak-V5

1 Like

@Matt_Hartley the best ISO version was this that you posted a while back that i am quoting and ANSI the one that i made

2 Likes

Technically, in a Spanish keyboard, the print screen key would be Imprimir pantalla, or shortened as Impr Pant
For the rest, it’s good. Maybe FN lock could be Bloq fun… But nah, keep it as fn lock, it’s good

1 Like

I would like to have a spanish keyboard with all the keys combinations, similar to the old german ones.

Hello, this is perfect Czech layout: Latest post on CZECH_SLOVAK keyboard
But I’m afraid, it does not look like Slovak.

If you really want to merge Czech and Slovak layouts, I’d suggest something like this:
Dell CZ/SK keyboard layout

Sources:
https://kbdlayout.info/kbdcz1
https://kbdlayout.info/kbdsl1
https://image.alza.cz/images/users/900992/reviews/standard/43839d9f-7bc7-4e29-84e9-442896883189.jpg?width=1000&height=1000

1 Like

Hello, I wonder if Turkish-Q keyboard would come, pretty sure it will come eventually but sooner would be better.

1 Like

can we pleeeeaaase have an Arabic/English combo keyboard? What are generally the process/requirements for new languages/keyboard options to be added?

Still hoping for RGB Linux Keyboard variant :<

3 Likes

If I recall, they said they may do more RGB variants when they see what is popular. I hope they do a survey though, because if they go by straight sales numbers, there will people who selected the available RGB options instead of the white backlit version of the keyboard they’d really rather have, if it was RGB.

1 Like

I just wanted to save them cost of manufacturing aditional slovak keyboard layout and having it on stock

I don’t think he was disputing that having one common keyboard layout is useful; the issue was that the latest “Czech_Slovak Version 05” update posted by Matt Hartley was completely missing all the Slovak-specific letters.

Another issue is that the latest “Version 05” shows a QWERTY layout, whereas Czech and Slovak keyboards typically use a QWERTZ layout.

Also, not sure why all the keys show lower-case and caps at the same time; I assume it is just to show the available functions of each key, as it would look pretty wonky if printed directly as shown.

Overall, the first Slovak version posted in June looks the best to me, I don’t see any issue with it (although I would personally prefer an ANSI version with long Shift and Enter). But since the Version 05 update was posted a few months ago, I suppose it may be already finalized and we may soon find out how the final version looks like. :slight_smile:

Regarding the portuguese layout:

The 3 key usually has the “£” at the AltGr position.