[SOLVED] Framework13 Keyboard has intermittent keys

Gotcha, I will do so.

Any thoughts on the source of the problem?

Not without logs and also comparing it to a live USB results.

If it’s a hardware fault, then keyboard would be my best guess at the moment. If it successfully works on a live USB, we’d want to open a ticket and look at the logs.

Update: definitely a hardware fault. I experience the issue at boot (GRUB) and in the UEFI. I have a new input cover on the way, fingers crossed that it’s the line in the input cover that’s faulty and not the mainboard connector or mainboard itself…

1 Like

With any luck the input cover swap resolved this.

Seems to be resolved. Funnily enough the problem went away for a few days prior to replacement (it was intermittent to begin with) but I experienced it today so I did the 5 minute swap and haven’t seen anything. Will update if it ever returns, meaning it wasn’t an input cover issue.

Appreciate the update, glad to hear this has been resolved. :slight_smile:

I also have this issue. Reseated cables with no result. Would any one with schematics be able to identify the likely culprit? Seems excessive to replace the whole input cover if it’s a cable.

As with OP the problem is very intermittent and seems to be resolved many times by flexing the whole input cover so it must be a faulty connection or shorted trace somewhere.

I had this trouble with the P key, and replaced the keyboard, and it resolved the issue for… months… Now I’m having trouble with the intermittent delete key, but I’ll probably just live with it.

Oh. 11th gen.

Unfortunately I am pretty certain that this is not an 11th gen problem. I believe it’s a design issue with the keyboard itself. I currently have another computer that I believe to be a 12th gen that has a non-functioning delete key. So far I have put up with the issue but I have a replacement cover at the ready should another key fail.
As a side comment that is strictly subjective: There have been way too many keyboard issues for this to be called an ‘occasional’ issue. I would call it ‘systemic’. I can see this issue not popping up in the course of the normal design and testing phase but I am disappointed that there has been no acknowledgement from Framework that the keyboards have issues. I can certainly see their stance of “it’s past the warranty and you will have to purchase a replacement keyboard” but since there has been no comment from Framework, about a new keyboard design, I am assuming that the replacement keyboards will fail the same way the original keyboard failed.
Before somebody accuses me of mistreating the keyboard - I have owned numerous laptops and had no keyboard issue during their expected life span (4 years on average for me)

I am also having Framework 13 (12th gen) keyboard specifically the top right side of the keyboard (del, backspace, enter keys stop functioning). From what I have found it appears to be the keyboard not registering keys because the frame of the computer itself is bending. To get the keys to work again requires a slight twist of the frame on the right side. However, sometimes the problem re-arises if I move the laptop.

My guess is that the modular inputs is creating a weak region in the frame, specifically I have my USB-C module on the top right which dubs as my docking and charging input. Meaning that I am almost always connected on the portion of the laptop. Over the year and a half I have had the laptop that USB-C cable connection (with the weight of my hand due to use and typing) is causing a bending moment on the frame that has lead to the eventually keyboard and frame on that side to de-laminate. Hopefully this helps.

I have a similar issue- single key is inconsistent (left arrow), but a bend of the bottom right corner inwards seems to fix it every time. I’d be glad to find out the source of the problem- I can’t imagine that repetitively bending the frame is a great solution long term!

Just want to add that I am experiencing this issue too, on my 13-inch with 11th gen Intel CPU running Debian 12.

Enter and backspace intermittently working a few weeks ago. Now they aren’t working at all.

I’ve tried cleaning the keyboard and checking the cables and their connectors. No luck fixing the issue. My next step will be to get a replacement keyboard or input cover.

I just received my order of 2 more keyboards. So far I have replaced 3 keyboards and the 4th is a spare. This is for multiple computers being used by one user over, I am guessing, 3 or so years. A rather sad statistic!

In just the last few days I’ve seen exactly the same issues. Enter, Delete and Backspace are the worst, but the D key also cuts out sometimes. All are intermittent. 13th gen running Windows 11. The fact it is the same keys is interesting.

I reseated all the cables, blew it out with air, and updated the BIOS/Firmware. So far it seems more reliable, but that is the problem with intermittent issues. I’ll update if it happens again.

The issue is back, same keys. Still doing the rounds with support for a replacement.

If I just every conceivable photo in the first email they would still come up with something new to ask for.

The way that Framework is treating this issue (if it is under warranty just replace the damn thing - this failure is not uncommon) is unfortunate. The fact that keyboard failure rate is high and they are not addressing the root of the cause by issuing a fix or redesigning things so that reliability is no longer an issue is most annoying. I now consider frequent keyboard replacements a cost of doing business with Framework 13 laptops.
I have had many different laptops in my life and keyboard failure usually is not an issue until 5 or more years of use.

1 Like

If you want a replacement under warranty, then it’s just necessary for them to have a very thorough procedure, considering the laptop is designed to as easy as possible to be opened, its guts played with by us. If not careful, we can damage things easy. Multiple people in other threads have posted keyboard issues that were traced to them creating a break in one of the flat ffc cables.

You want a company to “just replace the damn thing” under warranty with minimal checking for user damage? Sure. But at best, you get other laptops which are minimally user repairable often with soldered ram & wifi, at worst you get “warranty void if removed” tamper-resistant stickers.

You can’t have a company the does everything to make it easy and encourage us to play with the guts of the laptop, and also super easy no questions warranty replacements, you just can’t. It would kill Framework. People will absolutely abuse it, no question.

The thorough procedure Framework has now is due to those people.
https://www.reddit.com/r/framework/comments/12tbg6d/psa_warranty_claims_and_framework_support/

After an audit of warranty claim tickets recently, it’s pretty clear that there are a good number of incidents were damage was caused by the customer, and is not covered under Framework’s Limited Warranty. The stories I’ve read are quite grand, and entertaining, but our team/engineers are pretty skilled at determining actual product failures or CID (Customer Induced Damage). While we understand that having to pay for replacement parts is a bummer when mistakes are made, which can happen given the DIY-nature of our products, our Support team is far more willing to find amicable solutions and alternatives to standard replacement if customers simply own the error and tell the truth vs taking us down a long, windy path full of false statements, and honestly, impossible scenarios.

[snip]

Thank you for that link. I agree that user CID damage should generally not be covered under warranty. A number of tests are appropriate before replacing a part under warranty - making sure the cable is plugged in correctly and re-seating the cable and maybe a few more but beyond that, especially considering the failure rate of keyboards that I have experienced, it gets a bit excessive.
I haven’t seen any keyboard issues that were traced to breaks in the ffc cables so maybe requesting a close-up photo of that area would be appropriate (kinks in the cable?).
I have had a few bits replaced under warranty and my experience has been that the first few questions tend to be reasonable but then it tends to get silly (just my experience).
The reason I put up with the two big framework issues I have (keyboard and USB devices not being recognized half the time) is because I really appreciate the way these computers can be serviced.
I was amazed when, on my first Framework13, I realized that the case screws were captive. While it sounds silly, that little detail made a huge impression on me. It said “hey, we are really looking at even the tiniest details to give a great customer experience”

In general, customer support for me has been excellent … well above the industry norm.

I am frustrated by the lack of information on my two biggest issues. Are the keyboard failure rates (not including CID) high or am I just lucky with my failures? If the keyboard issues are real, what is being done to resolve them. Same with the poor USB functionality.

1 Like

A small kink in one or more lines can sometimes be all that’s visible, a trace broken without tearing the insulation. But a tear through the insulation I think will be more common here.

This was the most recent one posted
(Linux) Bottom and right parts of keyboard not working

Two in this thread, with pictures of a pretty big tears
Damage to touchpad cable / keyboard either not working at all or only some keys / glued side

It sometimes feels like there might be a higher level of FWL13 keyboard issues. It’s difficult to judge though. We don’t even know how many 13" units FW has shipped.

USB issues do seem to come up often. I wonder if what FW tries to do with their ports, as many ports as possible, as high speed & full function as possible, reliably, is just hard to do at a reasonable price. I hope it doesn’t come down to that.