Damage to touchpad cable / keyboard either not working at all or only some keys / glued side

I’ve been showing my frame.work to a lot to friends and colleagues including removing the input cover and it looks like I managed to slightly damage the touchpad cable and either I have no key working at all or only some of the keys.

Screenshot from 2022-05-29 19-04-34

Screenshot from 2022-05-29 19-04-23

I think the issue is the small pinch, I’m travelling but I’ll try to find some adhesive to avoid the strain may be it will work.

It looks like the replacement touchpad cable is not for sale yet:

Also while looking at the two end connectors of the cable the one on the keyboard is glued to the keyboard (my frame.work is a batch 9 azerty) so I wonder what the procedure is now to replace it?

Links I found while looking for a solution:

1 Like

The links are excellent for addressing the problem and troubleshooting. I did the same. Ultimately I had to contact support. I :heart: my Framework now.


@Laurent_GUERBY if you contact the support team, we can manually process an order of the Touchpad Cable for you, since the Marketplace is not yet fully up for Europe. The cable is held with double-sided tape on the touchpad end, but you can carefully lift it off (open the latch first).


@nrp thanks, I just contacted support via the web form with an URL to this discussion.


@nrp Received the new touchpad cable and installed it this morning, my frame.work has now a fully working keyboard, thanks again!


I guess I joined the club today (exact same spot, so I bet the original poster damaged it the same way):

  • I was not careful when taking the top cover off, and it slipped and the entire weight of the top cover fell onto the touchpad cable . This is all it takes and no amount of playing with the kink could completely resolve the issue (the cable itself was not torn, but I believe the kink was serious enough that the wires inside were damaged).
  • Both the power button and track pad were not impacted, which makes sense since the portion of the cable I damaged appears to be the keyboard portion (many small wires close together for each key).
  • I did remove the cable completely to play around with the kinked portion more (there is now sticky adhesive on the end attached to the keyboard side). Note: there is a black latch on the other end of the connector that needs to be flipped up before removing or inserting the ribbon. The most I could get working were these keys: 1234789wruiopadfgkl;. A pretty good improvement from nothing, but not good enough. . .
  • I have ordered a replacement and will post again with an update.
1 Like

Replacement worked!

  • (Carefully this time) removed the top case.
  • Immediately removed the old touchpad ribbon, attaching the top case to the mainboard.
  • Removed the old touchpad ribbon attached to the top case (was careful when flipping up black latch).
  • Attached the new ribbon to the top case (removed the adhesive tape so that the ribbon would be securely attached after flipping the latch down on the ribbon connectors).
  • (Again, more carefully this time) attached the touchpad ribbon to the mainboard.
  • Closed everything up and was back in action!

Breaking stuff does not feel so bad when you can fix what you broke. . . :grinning: