Broken delete key - like literally stopped working

Just wanted to report that I have the same issue, delete key just suddenly stopped working, tried a fresh live linux (Fedora) iso but it wouldn’t help. German layout, input cover from 11th gen. Contacting support.

Had this issue with my 11th Gen’s Delete key back in August, reseating the connector didn’t fix it. I just ordered a replacement keyboard and that’s resolved the issue for several months now.

I’ve had this problem for a while and only recently thought to check if others had it too. At first I assumed it was a software problem, until I thought to check with showkey in the terminal - my delete key doesn’t even register a keypress.

I had a similar issue where it was working intermittently until it completely gave up the ghost a couple weeks ago.

Worked great as soon as I replaced the touch cover. Be warned, it’s a lot of screws.

Same issue here. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t, then stopped working completely. Now, 2 weeks later, I removed keyboard cover to swap WiFi card, and del started working again.

I would like to try this. When you say you “replaced the touch cover” do you mean that you bought a whole new input cover kit, or just that you took the input cover off and put it back on again? Would love to not shell out $100 for one key…

Replaced as in purchased a new one and installed the new one.

Did you replace the whole input cover, the keys or the touchpad module? Trying to figure out what to buy, my del key stopped working and this time for good.

I purchased a new input cover kit. The keys are not user replaceable individually.

2 Likes

I’m on my second Input Cover from this specific issue and just started experiencing it again, it’s definitely a hardware problem. See [RESOLVED] Framework13 Keyboard has intermittent keys - #13 by Matt_Hartley and Some keys not working - #7 by Be_Far . CC @Matt_Hartley

On this (second, 13th gen model) input cover, I’ve disconnected the connector exactly once to add a memory module and that was months ago. This is likely not a connector wear issue and is something in the input cover or mainboard directly.

Delete on my 2 years old 11th gen intermittently stops working since about a month ago. Can’t see a pattern yet, but probably the same issue.

I ended up replacing the keyboard part – now del works again. There are a lot of screws, took me about half an hour.

I had this problem happen AGAIN, with a different input cover and different mainboard. In both cases the delete key worked at first, but stopped working after some months. I verified that literally every other key works.

I’m no hardware expert, but I was thinking of what I would investigate if I worked at Framework. I encourage everyone to post with more information about their setup - perhaps trends will emerge that will guide Framework’s investigation. Here are my suggested questions with my answers:

• 13" or 16" system? 13"
  • Which mainboard? 11th gen and 13th gen
  • Which OS? Windows
  • Do you frequently use an external keyboard? Yes
  • Do you use a powered USB Hub? If so, which kind? Yes, Anker PowerExpand 13-in-1 USB-C Hub
  • Which port do you usually use when charging your laptop? Rear right port, closest to the delete key
1 Like

Maybe Support will replace it under warranty and try to do an RCA on the faulty one? Worth reaching out to them.

Same, delete key appears to have no response at all on my batch #3 AMD. Is the consensus to just replace the whole keyboard?

@ lbkNhubert unfortunately Framework support has not been helpful. The last time I ran into this issue I found their conduct insultingly patronizing:

But at least they did replace the input cover.

This time, after leading me through a lot of pointless troubleshooting, they refused to replace the input cover.

I could pay $50 for a new keyboard or $100 for a new input cover, but have decided not to at this time - especially as I suspect that a third input cover would also have the delete key fail after some months.

Instead, I used the Keyboard Manager tool in Microsoft PowerToys to remap the Framework button (alternate for F12) to the Delete key. Now I am able to delete text and use ctrl+alt+del without an external keyboard, and all that button did was launch the Framework website anyway. (Note: Keyboard Manager describes this key as “Send Media”.)

@pinkhatbeard you are welcome to try various troubleshooting steps (reboot, update, blow canned air, and so on), but… yeah. Almost certainly the keyboard is at fault. Previously I was able to try a good and bad input cover with two different Framework laptops and verify that the problem is with the keyboard. I encourage reaching out to Framework support, assuming your laptop is within warranty.

Again, I also encourage everyone who ever has or ever will post to this thread to answer some diagnostic questions Broken delete key - like literally stopped working - #26 by Chad_Schultz if enough people answer, that might provide some clues as to why the delete key fails for some people.

1 Like

same problem here. was able to wiggle the cover a little to get it to work but its completely dead now.

Hi @Chad_Schultz ,

Sorry to hear your frustration with the keyboard and input cover along with others. The silver lining I suppose is the Framework is extremely repairable. compared to other devices out there.

All the parts are covered by the 12 month warranty though correct? Or are you outside the warranty period again?

I do not know if I could use a keyboard without a functional delete key. Kudos to you for getting by with the F12 key as a substitute. :star_struck:

Great idea, that saved me!

2 Likes

Good thought on the warranty! I just took them at their word that I was out of the warranty period. Knowing now that it’s a 12 month warranty, I realized my input cover was well within that period and pushed them to replace it.

We had some back and forth - Framework support argued with me, not wanting to replace it. Apparently they were trying to use the date of the very first Framework order I had ever placed (more than a year ago) instead of the most recent input cover I had ordered (less than a year ago).

Annoyingly, there’s still no indication that they have any intention to investigation and resolve the root issue.

1 Like