[RESPONDED] AMD Batch 1 Guild

Thanks Matt. Can you then comment on how bad the impact of the “high” power usage is? How much of the laptop’s battery life is getting lost?

I’ll see if I can tap an engineer Tues when I get back to my desk. :slightly_smiling_face: Great questions.

Thank you! :hugs:

If idle/sleep power draw from certain expansion cards is substantial and is caused by retimer behavior that can’t be changed then would it be possible to reduce power draw with changes to power delivery controller firmware? I see that the CPYD6227 power delivery controller that is listed on 12th gen mainboard schematics has a programmable cortex m0 in it and is connected to the retimers. The limited Kandou retimer documentation I can access also talks about “initialization and configuration operations” through a connection to the “Power Deliver (PD) microcontroller”. Would it be possible to program the power delivery controller to simulate a usb disconnect or otherwise turn off the retimers when the device is in a low power/sleep state?

1 Like

Anyway: Is the retimer behaviour in accordance with what Kandou advertised or not?
Did they supply an erroneous product or was their product unfit for the use case?

Jumping in to remind everybody to abide by our community guidelines. While questions and feedback are encouraged, disrespect and ad hominem attacks attacks are not acceptable in the Framework community and will not be tolerated.

As Matt said above:

1 Like

As nrp mentioned above “As far as we are aware, there are no USB4 retimer options currently available for AMD platforms that would resolve this issue”. Simply, if you want USB 4, that’s what it is. I would take this behaviour rather than have no USB 4.

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, I am a bit curious about the schematics-
unless it is impossible to publish them like for the models before.
Can someone give me a hint about this? I would be happy to
know where to start finding a solution on my own before I receive my 13.

You can find past schematics for the 11th and 12th gen boards on their Github pages but not the newest stuff. They will probably not release the schematics for the AMD board until months after released as they have been working on revisions recently before its release (doubt releasing schematics is at the top of their priority list). But all the info on how to mitigate the power draw is already there. For HDMI and Displayport, while a full solution requires further investigation into firmware, having a HDMI 2nd or 3rd gen (or modified 1st gen) or a 2nd gen Displayport will help to reduce power draw. For the USB A ports, you can take a look at the “Passifying the USB A Card” thread but note it won’t work with unshielded devices.

I am well aware of that “USB connector connecting GND lines” thing, but I would like to try something else :smiley:

New email. It seems to be the same situation with USB-A empty or 2.0 devices in the two rear expansion card bays.

2 Likes

Framework, regarding the USB-A (Empty or USB 2.0) can you comment on the current power draw in mW for “High power draw” vs “ok”? For example, does “ok” mean equivalent to USB C when empty, or does it have higher power draw?

Hey Matt! Have you had the chance to ask an engineer yet?

Not yet, but once things settle down (it’s been a wild, wild week), I will be inquiring. I am setting up a reminder now.

Thank you, take your time.

1 Like

The email mentioned that the production will start around mid-September and I assume that means that the laptop will start shipping in late-September like the previous emails mentioned?

And by “enter production”, does it mean that factories will be pumping out MOBO or does it mean that workers will start to assemble the laptop, or both?

4 Likes

Just out of curiosity, has there been any clarification re who gets to receive these updates? I wasn’t able to find confirmation. If not, it would be great if FW could clarify as I would have expected that such relatively important information be communicated directly to everyone with a qualifying order. I’m two months into my pre-order and never received any of the updates re power draw issues.

Not a huge deal breaker for my personal choice of expansion cards, just a matter of principle, I suppose.

In any case, thanks for keeping us updated!

Edit: Removed misunderstanding on my part re front ports having previously been affected too. No relevance and change to main sentiment point in post.

1 Like

I asked support last week, they told me that these updates were being sent to the first 3 batches (I am in the fourth one). I suggested sending it to everyone who has a preorder and they said they’d pass this to the team, so I hope… For now we have to rely on fellow buyers sharing here :disappointed:.

1 Like

Somewhere it was also mentioned why this is:

FW only sends the mails to the batches they deem affected by the delay resulting from the difficulties. Owing to large production capacities built up, they still are expecting Batch4 to ship on-date that was promised when preorders opened. That’s why there was no notification I guess.

2 Likes

That makes sense, I’m in batch 4. Thanks for suggesting circulating it to all, glad to see FW has acknowledged the suggestion.

This makes perfect sense for batches where delays are expected for things like firmware delay issues, etc which other than getting your order later are virtually a non-issue. I guess the issue in this concrete case is that there may end up being hardware quirks wrt expansion card choices that could affect all batches, even if some ship on time. Even if ultimately they may solved in firmware, in my view as a customer, it would be desirable to keep all potentially affected customers in the loop so they can know what to expect.

On a side note, if it’s a retimer issue and there aren’t viable USB4 retimer alternatives, I wonder if the upcoming AMD FW16 is also affected.

Fingers crossed for best case scenario!

1 Like