[RESPONDED] AMD Batch 1 Guild

I currently have the Crucial 2x16GB DDR5 5600 SODIMM kit (CT2K16G56C46S5), which I will try out as soon as I receive my laptop.

My laptop was originally scheduled for delivery today, but it has since shipped to Winnipeg (right country, but nowhere near me) so I suspect it’ll take at least a day to get back on track. Fingers crossed for delivery tomorrow.

1 Like

Yep - 16GB stick in mine shows an Adata part number: AD5S560016G-B

1 Like

I am curious, anyone order just a motherboard (and ram, and wifi in my case) and been charged or shipped yet?

It seems most of the people on this thread are ordering whole laptops according to the poll, 81% so curious if any of the 19% have been hit yet.

Were AMD mainboards available on Day 1 (~March 23rd)?

If I remember correctly, not all parts were available in the marketplace right away… It would stand to reason that an availability offset would result in a fulfillment offset, so I wouldn’t assume that mainboards are being given a lower priority intentionally for any other reason.

1 Like

has anyone been charged yet today? curious to see if there’s been any action yet at all.

Yep, my order was done on march 23rd, day one. No movement.

2 Likes

No action yet here in Australia.

1 Like

Without knowing more about your order (i.e., other contents, timing relative to known charged orders, etc.), it would be difficult to say one way or the other.

I suppose they could have prioritized complete systems for the first few shipments. You could make the argument that there might be more support requests generated by customers upgrading from Intel, therefor it would be best to delay those orders a bit until you have more customer service people to help.

But, unless I’m mistaken, they did send upgrade kits to reviewers. It would seem strange to have done that only to delay paying customers and revenue. Plus, if we were somehow able to ascertain that someone with a mainboard order was delayed until after a customer with a “complete” system that was otherwise identical, that would not be a good look for FW.

At the end of the day, whether they are prioritizing some orders over others is immaterial. They seem to have pretty good reasons for the choices they make, and while some of those choices are irritating (like the decision to include older, poorly reviewed speakers), I think they’re doing the best the can.

Ultimately, we benefit from the pressure their success places on all other OEMs. If we have to make some sacrifices to help that along, I think it’s worth it.

2 Likes

By the nature of sending units to reviewers, you are delaying units that could have went to paying customers. But that’s good as they are the very first units off the production line and it allows reviewers to catch any defects that the Framework team may have missed. So instead of potentially sending out a bunch of defective units and having angry customers, you get reviews and a last check that everything is good.

1 Like

I would happily pay extra for shipping if it meant I didn’t have to deal with FedEx. Their so bad around here that stuff will sit in the depot for 5-6 days sometimes before finally getting shipped. Unless we call them out in which case it ships the next day. On top of that their drivers regularly throw packages into the porch. And their tracker I have found is the absolute worst in the industry.

2 Likes

I think the reason why Framework went with Fedex is because they may have programs in place that help to reduce costs for smaller businesses. If Framework went with a different company, they may have to pay more for a business account and that cost is A) passed onto consumers and B) since they have to pay upfront, it means less money for laptops and part production until they have sales.

1 Like

Given that they said they will be shipping after Taiwan National Day (https://nitter.net/FrameworkPuter/status/1710702716559995378), I am hoping tomorrow was the day.

I was planning to show framework to my father in-law, since he is very into DIY electronics, but he is leaving the country on the 17th…

the Taiwan holiday was yesterday Taiwan time work day should be starting in a few hours. hoping things get hot and heavy in the coming hours. but I’m also incredibly desperate.

4 Likes

yes I just got charged!

8 Likes

ITS HAPPENING down under crew!

2023-10-11 09_20_39-Inbox _ q@matqua.com _ Proton Mail — Mozilla Firefox

9 Likes

ausbros we are so gonna make it

2 Likes

I ordered a Ryzen 7 mainboard kit in batch 1 on launch day. No movement yet.

2 Likes

USA Ryzen 5 DIY is charged and awaiting shipment. Exciting times!

6 Likes

I understand why Framework doesn’t give people the option. But Google also uses FedEx with no other carrier options. Even though their a multi-billion dollar company. That’s why I get so upset that I’m forced to deal with FedEx. If it was only one or two times a year from small businesses then whatever. But the fact that Im forced to deal with them from large companies is upsetting.

I should also note as someone who has dealt with shipping comparison APIs at work. FedEx pricing is consistently higher than UPS (at least domestically, not sure about international)

JUST GOT CHARGED WOOOO!!! Never been happier to see 1300$ taken out of my account LOL, I really thought I’d be later in the batch honestly

7 Likes