[RESPONDED] AMD Batch 1 Guild

Same spots.
USB-C in slots 1 & 3
USB-A in slot 2
HDMI in slot 4

1 Like

Does anyone have a recommendation for a laptop sleeve for the Framework? I don’t mind if it isn’t solid and mainly just a sleeve but nothing seems to have the right dimensions.

Nice!

Where did you get that image from? It’s super helpful :slight_smile:

I would think any 13 inch sleeve from AliExpress should fit no?

The DIY guide for Framework 13 AMD :slight_smile:

While I’m not that picky for the sleeve/case I’d like something more quality though.

If you want something that is really nice, Rustico is always an amazing option - although on the pricey side:

How well does it fit? I’d prefer it to not have a lot of wiggle room.

I only have the 17 inch one, but it is snug, the leather stretches just a little bit to handle the bigger laptop.
But I can’t speak to the 13 inch one yet - maybe I will get one

Mainboard, and whatever BIOS version it ships with for batch 1.

I wonder if this is a BIOS 3.02 issue because mainboards from Batch 2 onwards get BIOS 3.03.

So, did you confirm your display was broken? I’m having similar issues, but I can get it to display via HDMI after disconnecting the laptop display. Put in a ticket to support, so waiting for that reply.

I don’t know if it is the display, the cable or the mainboard. Display shows nothing, backlight is on and brightness controllable by hotkey. Monitor via HDMI-card works fine and everything but internal display seems to be ok.
I too am waiting for support to react to my ticket.

1 Like

I booted with an empty SSD and it gave me some kind of no boot media error, clearly visible on the screen. Iirc it was after the framework logo showed even, but regardless it was very clear the display was on. If it’s black, that’s another issue.

1 Like

Okay, got my 7840U, although I am not putting it into my existing FW13 immediately for several reasons:

a) Forgot to order some extra RAM during the Amazon Prime sale 2 weeks ago
b) Need to figure out if the Ryzen board will boot with the AX210 that I have in the 12th Gen board
c) Need to figure out if I can just swap SSD from the 12th Gen (currently running Win11) to the Ryzen without a massive headache on my hands
d) That FW13 also need a new hinge set - those OG hinges from 2 generations ago are seriously wobbly.

Also, well, I want to see how well the Ryzen performs in the coolermaster case with some ahem interesting hardware connected to it. Like, for some example, if someone put 96GB of RAM, Proxmox VE8, a 1TB SSD and, oh, an M.2 A+E → miniPCIe Adapter, then run an i350-T2 miniPCIe card off it and try to get it to do SRIOV for offloaded gigabit networking. Yes, it works on the 11th and 12th gen Intel Lake boards…but does it work for Phoenix? Let’s see.

2 Likes

The Ryzen board will boot with the AX210. One of the reviewers tried and it worked. Best option for the ssd though is to copy whatever you need from it then do a clean install.

I also recommend copying the files you need and then performing a clean install. That said, my new Windows 11 installs managed to corrupt itself twice, and the Framework driver installation silently failed multiple times.

On the other hand. I had a SSD prepared for month that was installed via a desktop (just placed it in a M.2 slot) and it runs Windows 11 and Linux Mint beautifully from the get go.
Just needed the drivers for Windows 11 and needed to change the kernal for Linux Mint along with some fingerprint finetuning.

Clean installs are a good blank slate to start on but it doesn’t mean it is the only way to get it working.

Indeed. The AX210 is also a standard NGFF module over PCIe/BT interface - no reason to suggest it wouldn’t boot or be recognised (I have one on my AM5 desktop board).

The only AX series that won’t work with an AMD system are the ones that end in xx1, e.g. the AX201, AX211, and AX411, which are the same form factor (and functionally equivalent to their xx0 counterparts) but use the Intel proprietary CNvio interface and, based on my understanding offload parts of the processing to the CPU, leaving mostly just the radio processing parts on the module itself.

2 Likes

Save a few cents per card and massively reduce reusability? What an absolute win - Dell, Lenovo and HP probably.

5 Likes

Indeed. The idea itself, however, is not necessarily bad. Once you’re past the RF processing bits, a lot of the upper layer functionality is essentially the same. So moving this outside the module and making the RF module literally just that (RF) makes sense.

The issue here, imo, is more the “proprietary” aspect - typical of the likes of Intel, Dell, Lenovo, and HP as you mention. Working alongside mobo OEMS or AMD (God forbid) to create an open standard could be a good way to ensure wide compatibility and reduce costs.

Makes me wonder how much of the motivation behind CNVio had to do with vPro (which nobody really cares about).

1 Like