[RESPONDED] AMD Batch 1 Guild

Just received mine!!

Voting in post #577 updated.

Mine arrived on Monday but I didn’t find the time to install it until today. I am typing on Ryzen right now, upgraded from 11th Gen.

The board came out of the box with bent cooling fins, which I didn’t quite like. One of the problematic things about these hardware kits is you will never be able to prove that it has not been you and your sausage fingers. But I was able to rearrange them with fine pliers “like new”.

I combined the board with 2x16G Crucial 5600 which seems to work just great even though it is not on the official compat list.

After the board change the Arch linux boot loader on my SSD was no longer able to properly start until I reinstalled it from a usb live system.

In normal desktop mode everything seems to be nicely quiet and fast. Games definitely run a lot better. Unfortunately, general system stability seems to be the price to pay for the time being. When changing displays on KDE, leaving fullscreen applications or basically doing anything about desktop size or resolution, 3 out of 4 times big white graphical artifacts begin to cover the display and render everything pretty unusable. The same even with compositing switched off. With my 4k monitor connected on an external dock, the builtin display also randomly switches off its backlight every when and then. All of these were no-brainers with the Intel board and everything just worked for weeks without reboot.

I suspect, for my type of use, I would have fared better with the 13th Gen upgrade but I like AMD for being not Intel and I was thrilled by the thought of being able to run Cyberpunk or GTA on that thing :slight_smile: - even though I probably won’t find the time for that in reality very often…

When tasked with graphics-intensive loads, the system gets noisy pretty fast - and I would also dare to say, it ‘wooshes’ even louder than my old Intel 11th gen board. Which isn’t much of a surprise given the performance and the form factor but since some reviews wrote about the Ryzen board being quieter even under load, I can’t really confirm that one.

I am still thrilled by the performance in this sleek body but really hope that stuff will get more stable really fast. Because after all is said and done, it’s my work machine and for being that, it has to work :wink:

7 Likes

Was the shipping box damaged as well? Cause if it wasn’t, that’s poor quality control.

The shipping box was pristine and the board box is completely undented - but there was some lack of filling material in the shipping box so the board box could audibly clutter from left to right inside the shipping box. That said, I doubt that the fins got bent this way because the board itself is sitting very snugly in a protective wrap inside its board box.
Props to frame.work here for creating a really nice, safe and completely plastic-free board enclosure.

The team should probably revisit this and consider adding more packaging. Other components could have potentially been damage but it seems you’re lucky that only the cooler was damaged.

1 Like

You have to change the “New Boot Device Priority” from “auto” to “first” or “last” and then you can change the boot order. It says “EFI Boot order can be changed when the priority is not auto.” That said, it took me a minute to figure out when I was getting my machine set up and poking around at options. I ran into the same “why can’t I change this???” situation on the EFI Boot Order page.

2 Likes

It’s the damndest thing… Can’t seem to get them back now! Fix one thing, break another :wink:

Get overheard camera rigging and go live with your own unboxing video :wink:

All jokes aside, I think that FW would probably just take your word for it. Especially during these early years.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for working on KDE packages for Debian!

1 Like

Received my 7840U motherboard today and successfully upgraded my 1165G7 board.

I can confirm that the G.Skill 64GB kit here works at the rated 5600 MT/s and 46-45-45-89 timing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C64NGBXF

Very pleased, this thing screams!

4 Likes

Got my 7840U and installed a new W11 instance. Two BSODs so far…

2 Likes

I don’t know how Framework/Insyde/AMD managed to accomplish this, but neither of my two USB 10 Gbps m.2 enclosures can detect the SSD inside when connected to my Framework laptop.

1 Like

Happy to hear you were finally able to get it! Here I was thinking my dutch address was hard for the delivery people to find haha

Interesting, I only hit those white artifacts once and it was when I didn’t limit GTT size and didn’t have the kernel patch for https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/2735 applied.

As for the noise, it becomes significantly quieter if you limit the power profile using the power profile daemon.

2 Likes

Windows 11 corrupted itself. Two three more BSODs in the reinstall process now.

1 Like

I got my R5 7640U set up and moved my old i5-1135G7 into the Cooler Master case to hook up to my TV. Took a couple reboots for the i5-1135G7 to work properly, forgot there’s a BIOS setting to disable the default checks when operating in standalone mode. Did a quick test running Cyberpunk on my desktop cast to my TV with Steam Remote Play and had no issues.

I’ve only done limited benchmarking on the R5 7640U but it seems to be running as expected, Cinebench R23 got 11096 multicore and 1635 single core with Crucial CT2K16G56C46S5 RAM. Pretty impressive the strides made by AMD the last few years, better than my old R5 3600 desktop CPU IIRC and not too far behind my current 5800x.

1 Like

Did you buy it as a laptop or mainboard? And what BIOS version are you on?

It is very hard to look at Google Maps or similar app and see a dotted line indicating that you need to walk a few meters for my address /s.

Running both Windows 11 and Linux Mint Cinnamon Vera but changed to the recommended kernal. Fingerprint scanner and Wi-Fi working on both so I’m happy for now!

On a side note. Using this image as a reference, where did you all place your default cards?
I’ve got:

2 Likes

I also had this issue with my AMD board, but it only took a little bending with my fingers to make it look brand new. But ya, framework may need to look at better supporting the cooling fins in the packaging to prevent them from getting bent during transit.

1 Like

Pretty concerning now that it’s not just one person. I’ve got my mainboard coming soon. I find it a little odd that this was overlooked and that for the Intel boards, no one has publicly mentioned this issue. The mainboards are the same dimension so this shouldn’t have been an issue in the first place.

Pleased to say that the second kit arrived today (thank you B&H for free next-day delivery) and passed both a short and long memtest with flying colors.

1 Like