[RESPONDED] AMD Ryzen 7040 framework 13 debian testing trixie fingerprint reader error

I have decided to install debian testing on my framework 13 with ryzen 7040. Because of the kernel version it comes with. The operation is almost perfect except for a couple of details. One of them is the fingerprint reader, which apparently the package used to manage them fprintd was removed from the official debian repository: fprintd - Debian Package Tracker So I have downloaded the package from the debia 12 repository. After this the option to add a fingerprint appears in the graphical interface but it gives me the following error (sorry, it is in Spanish):

When trying through the terminal the following appears:

Framework:~$ fprintd-enroll
Using device /net/reactivated/Fprint/Device/0
failed to claim device: GDBus.Error:net.reactivated.Fprint.Error.Internal: Open failed with error: Please update firmware using fwupd

Trying to update using fwupd results in it being updated:

Framework:~$ sudo fwupdmgr update
Devices without firmware updates available:
  • SHPP41-2000GM
  • Fingerprint Sensor
Devices with the latest available firmware version:
  • SystemFirmware
  • UEFI dbx

Finally looking at the service journa:

Framework:~$ sudo journalctl -u fprintd.service
Framework systemd[1]: Starting fprintd.service - Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Framework fprintd[1808]: libusb: error [udev_hotplug_event] ignoring udev action change
Framework fprintd[1808]: libusb: error [udev_hotplug_event] ignoring udev action change
Framework systemd[1]: Started fprintd.service - Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Framework systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully

I don’t know what else to try, any ideas? Anyone else with the same problem?

Hi @Aimar_Urteaga, welcome to the community.

While we don’t test against Debian outside of what the community has done on the various Debian threads here. We would recommend doing this with one of the supported distros. That said, this may also work with Debian.

If it fails on Debian, please try again using Ubuntu 22.04.

I apologize for the delay. I was waiting for the package to receive official support in Debian. Today, it was finally added to the official repository, but unfortunately, I wasn’t successful. Following your advice, I tried it on Ubuntu 22 with a Live USB, but again, I had no luck. I encountered the following error:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ fprintd-enroll
failed to claim device: GDBus, Error:net.reactivated.Fprint.Error.Internal: Open failed with error: Please update firmware using fwupd

Then I tried your proposed tutorial from Debian but in the third step it simply ended in the middle without giving an error or anything and of course the sensor was still not working.

I also tried this other tutorial from Debian:

The tutorial developed properly but when doing:

fwupdmgr get-devices 1e8c8470-a49c-571a-82fd-19c9fa32b8c3

The result was the same as at the beginning and the fingerprint reader still did not work.

Already desperate, I tried to install Ubuntu on a USB and boot from there, from Ubuntu the fingerprint reader worked. Without saving any fingerprint, I started it in Debian and it worked. I don’t think this will be useful to anyone. But well. That has been my experience.

For the record, I did the same exercise under stable version of Debian by following the tutorial mentioned by @Matt_Hartley without issue aside from the expected “transfer time out” error.
But at the end, I still see the old firmware version and i can’t use the fingerprint reader.

Périphérique sélectionné: Fingerprint Sensor
Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040Series)
│
└─Fingerprint Sensor:
      Device ID:          23ec719b6aabc2d2dac5176c232f0da7a21881b0
      Résumé:             Match-On-Chip fingerprint sensor
      Version actuelle:   01000320
      Fournisseur:        Goodix (USB:0x27C6)
      Durée d'installation:10 secondes
      Numéro de série:    UIDXXXXXXXX_XXXX_MOC_B0
      GUIDs:              1e8c8470-a49c-571a-82fd-19c9fa32b8c3 ← USB\VID_27C6&PID_609C
                          34def4c7-9461-5a32-a945-5dde0ca57d88 ← USB\VID_27C6&PID_609C&REV_0100
      Drapeaux de périphérique:• Mise à jour possible
                          • Supported on remote server
                          • Device can recover flash failures
                          • Signed Payload

The best course of action is to sacrifice a nvme drive to an Fedora 39 install. It’s the fastest, easiest approach.

sudo dnf --disablerepo updates distro-sync fwupd*

Reboot

• Next we’ll want to do the following:

fwupdmgr enable-remote lvfs-testing

-You will be asked to confirm with Y once, and then once again.

• You will then see “Successfully enabled and refreshed remote.”

• Next, you will want to refresh.

fwupdmgr refresh --force

then run

• You will see an image similar to what we saw with Ubuntu, showing current version as 01000320. This is the older firmware version.

• Next, you will run:

fwupdmgr get-updates 1e8c8470-a49c-571a-82fd-19c9fa32b8c3

then lastly

fwupdmgr update 1e8c8470-a49c-571a-82fd-19c9fa32b8c3

This should complete, then you will choose to reboot.

Reboot

• Once you log back in, your installation will be complete and you will be able to enroll fingerprints using Users in the settings.

• Once we know your fingerprint reader is working, let’s get fwupd back to current.

sudo dnf update fwupd*

Reboot

Unfortunately I don’t have a nvme to “sacrifice”.
except from the “dnf” command, the steps you’re describing are the ones I followed from the official tutorial to update the firmware the first time.

Here is the version I currently have for information :

sirevirus@fw13:~$ fwupdmgr  --version
compile   org.freedesktop.fwupd         1.8.12
compile   com.hughsie.libxmlb           0.3.10
compile   com.hughsie.libjcat           0.1.9
runtime   org.freedesktop.fwupd-efi     1.4
compile   org.freedesktop.gusb          0.3.10
runtime   com.dell.libsmbios            2.4
runtime   org.freedesktop.gusb          0.3.10
runtime   org.freedesktop.fwupd         1.8.12
runtime   org.kernel                    6.1.0-18-amd64

I’m planning on trying Ubuntu Live as suggested by @Aimar_Urteaga, maybe later today or this weekend.

I booted on Ubuntu, as suggested before, tried to scan a fingerprint without saving as suggested before, and it worked perfectly fine.

Back on debian, the fingerprint reader is working.

I just need to figure how to configure it to be able to use it to login. But that’s another topic.

I managed to encode a few fingerprint and now the reader is not working anymore…

sirevirus@fw13:~$ fprintd-list sirevirus
found 1 devices
Device at /net/reactivated/Fprint/Device/0
Fingerprints for user sirevirus on Goodix MOC Fingerprint Sensor (press):
 - #0: right-middle-finger
 - #1: right-thumb
 - #2: left-index-finger
 - #3: right-index-finger
 - #4: right-ring-finger
sirevirus@fw13:~$ fprintd-verify -f right-index-finger sirevirus
failed to claim device: GDBus.Error:net.reactivated.Fprint.Error.Internal: Open failed with error: Corrupted message header received

Not sure what else to suggest. We have guides for installed Ubuntu LTS and Fedora for updating. We have not seen this behavior before and we have not tested this with Debian.

You can try clearing all prints and trying again, but baring that, I would have to see this on one of our tested distros.

1 Like

I have only tried with a single fingerprint by opening in Ubuntu as mentioned before. It has been working flawlessly for me. I won’t try to register more fingerprints because the fingerprint reader appears to be working by hope and prayers, and I really appreciate it working. I’m sorry, I would suggest removing all fingerprints and, if possible, and then trying to enroll a single one.

sirevirus@fw13:~$ fprintd-list sirevirus
found 1 devices
sirevirus@fw13:~$ fprintd-delete -f right-ring-finger sirevirus
found 1 devices
failed to claim device: GDBus.Error:net.reactivated.Fprint.Error.Internal: Open failed with error: Corrupted message header received

Seems like I can’t remove fingerprint like that. So Trying the link from @Matt_Hartley but it wasn’t really effective either :confused:

sirevirus@fw13:~/Téléchargements/fprint-clear$ sudo ./fprint-clear-storage-0.0.1-x86_64.AppImage 
[sudo] Mot de passe de sirevirus : 
Looking for fingerprint devices.
libusb: error [udev_hotplug_event] ignoring udev action change
<__gi__.FpiDeviceGoodixMoc object at 0x7f2cf54ea1c0 (FpiDeviceGoodixMoc at 0x5595721df1e0)>
goodixmoc
UID5CE654B2_XXXX_MOC_B0
All prints deleted.
All prints on all devices deleted.

sirevirus@fw13:~/Téléchargements/fprint-clear$ fprintd-list sirevirus
found 1 devices

Maybe I should try praying the omnissiah in binary :smiley:

Hello everybody.
It works for me. I’m on Debian12, I followed Matta Hartley’s instruction without disabling secure boot and it didn’t worked, I disabled secure boot and now it works.
Thank you

1 Like

To be honest, I don’t know what else to recommend. The truth is that it’s throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks, at least with my knowledge. Try to delete the saved traces from Ubuntu. Make sure to disable secure boot as mentioned in this comment.

Glad to hear it, thanks for the update.