[RESPONDED] Fedora 39 won't boot without running grub2-mkconfig

After upgrading to kernels 6.7.3 and 6.7.4, I could not boot my 12th-gen Intel laptop. Boot would freeze at “Loading Linux…” and by removing quiet boot, I found that there was a kernel panic.

Kernel Config

Boot Screen

I discovered by chance when trying to switch default kernels that running sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg would allow me to boot into the affected kernels.

At least one other user experienced the same problem. Unfortunately, both cases are oddly specific, leaving several possible causes:

• 12th Gen Intel
  • Some configuration of Grub
  • Using LUKS
  • Intially or currently dual booted with Windows
  • Use TLP (though disabling it does not fix the issue)

I made this as a new thread because it does not solely affect 6.7.3 and is not resolved.

1 Like

He is unable to mount the root filesystem (As stated in some of the last lines of your 2nd screenshot).
First, it tells you it can’t open the device (using the device mapper). And in the device mapper I see you use not only the device mapper redhat os loves to use, but also Luks (disk ncryption). In fact, 3 things to check:

1. Disk
  2. device mapper mappings
  3. Encryption.

I would simply boot from a recovery USB stick, and see if you can mount the encrypted partition yourself. But that gets complication pretty fast:

1. Identify the partitions with lsblk
  2. rearrange the “partitions” using the device mapper
  3. mount the partition using luks to mount it locally.

If that works, your initial image (for booting) is probably broken. if not , check the rest.

Sorry - but not time to write a walk through on this.

1 Like

At this stage, Jorge’s advice is going to be the best path forward. I’m on 6.7.4-200.fc39.x86_64 on most of my Framework laptops and have not had issues with it. The fact that you need to sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg tells me something went sideways.

Jorge’s advice is where I’d start at this stage. I don’t have time today to charge my 12th gen and repo this as I doubt I would be able to trigger the error.

1 Like

Thanks to both you and @Jorg_Mertin. I am pretty busy right now, but I will get to testing at some point. Until then, I’ll just have to keep backing up.