[RESPONDED] "flip_done timed out" errors being printed to console after Ubuntu update

Hi, I’m running Ubuntu 23.10 on my 12th gen framework laptop.

After recently upgrading Ubuntu (although not necessarily the cause) when I wake the laptop after sleep, instead of getting my normal i3 desktop, I get a blank desktop with the mouse pointer - but there is nothing to click on. I have to do a telinit 3 and a telinit 5 to get back into my desktop.

When I switch to the console I see screenshot, the text is:

drm:drm_atomic_helper_commit_cleanup_done [drm_kms_helper]] *ERROR* [CRTC:62:pipe A] flip_done timed out

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this? I don’t know that this text is related to the blank desktop problem but it does seem graphics related.

It’s definitely complaining about graphics operation. Basically a problem with a graphics operation related to display buffering and synchronization - I suspect something happening with your config. What is surprising is how verbose it is.

We only test against GNOME on Ubuntu 22.04.3 OEM C kernel, so I may not be much help here.

Things to double check against:

• Boot into Fedora 39 live USB, examine the logs and see if you can grep something similar. We’re doing this to see if this is merely your config or something else entirely. I am recommending Fedora as it will have better compatibility to what we see with non-OEM C Ubuntu 22.04.3.

• If anything external displays or anything else is attached, remove it and resume again. See if this is contributing.

1 Like

Hi,

I too am faced with the same problem with my Laptop. I found the following article that actually worked.

Disable DRI3 acceleration for Chromium based browsers

echo ‘export LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=1’ >> ~/.profile

restart after doing this

I’ve used my laptop for couple weeks with this setting and haven’t encountered the problem since.

System Details Report

Report details

Hardware Information:

• Hardware Model: Lenovo V15 G3 IAP
  • Memory: 16.0 GiB
  • Processor: 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-1235U × 12
  • Graphics: Intel® Graphics (ADL GT2)
  • Disk Capacity: 1.0 TB

Software Information:

• Firmware Version: JKCN41WW
  • OS Name: Ubuntu 23.10
  • OS Build: (null)
  • OS Type: 64-bit
  • GNOME Version: 45.2
  • Windowing System: X11
  • Kernel Version: Linux 6.5.0-15-generic

Yea, this is a x11 specific problem, Wayland runs just fine.

While this is a different laptop, the advice is sound. Thanks for the feedback. :slight_smile: