[RESPONDED] Framework and PopOS

I’m running Pop!_OS, and while I typically am plugged in, I’d guess that I would need to plug in after around 5 hours. I’m running the i7 1165G7 with 64gb of ram, ax210 no vPro, and 2TB WD SN850. I typically have the display only a couple of steps up from minimum brightness, speakers muted, wifi and bluetooth on, with a USB-C, USB-A, MicroSD (with card inserted), and 250GB expansion card installed. I just unplugged and the estimated run time is 4:47. I have the system set to maximum battery savings, and am running TLP. Applications open are Firefox with somewhere around 100 tabs open across multiple windows, terminal, and file manager.

TL;DR version - 5 hours of run time lines up with my experience.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. Incredibly helpful and to the point. Exactly what I needed.

You’re most welcome. I am hoping that over time the community is able to continue to optimize things with linux on the machine and increase battery life. If memory serves people are seeing 8 hours in windows - but don’t take my word for it, check out some of the reviews and other posts in the forum. I’ll also note that I really like the machine. I’ve used many OSes over the years, including chromebooks, whose battery life really spoiled me. I was happy to trade some run time for the repairability of the machine and the flexibility of running a more full OS than chromeOS (I know you can run linux on chrome os, via crouton and in the officially supported mode. I did both, but I find that I prefer “full” linux as the main OS).

1 Like

I’m coming from a 2015 15” MBP who’s battery is really starting to show its age. Was looking at the M1/M1X but Apple’s recent privacy issues have really soured me on them.

I currently triple boot my desktop (because why not) and I love using Pop there. I currently have Pop on my MBP and overall really like it. My biggest issue with System76 is the build quality of the laptops seems to be not great (Clevo and all).

If System76 could partner with Framework in someway, that would be the dream.

But again, thanks for the information. I’m really hoping Framework does well.

5 Likes

Since you mention booting multiple OSes, I’ll note that I have windows set up on the 250GB expansion card, also configured to run in a VM from that bare drive when in Pop!_OS, with refind to manage choosing the OS on boot. Aside from windows complaining about the HW change between native and VM, it works fine, and I’m in Pop!_OS 99% of the time anyway. I’m trying to figure out how to convert my spouse from MacOS when it comes time to replace her machine. I’d love to have her using a Framework laptop too.

I noticed that when I put my laptop to suspend and wake it up, I feel Ubuntu 21.04 is freezing up. It is hard to tell if there is hard drive activity as there is no drive activity LED on the laptop.

I’ve been wondering about this… Did you use something like Rufus to make a Windows-to-go? I am thinking about doing that, but I read in Wikipedia (Windows To Go - Wikipedia) that Microsoft says, “WTG does not support feature updates. Therefore, it does not enable you to stay current.” Have you found that that is the case? I really like the idea of keeping Windows totally isolated on an expansion card for occasional use, but not getting security and other updates is for me, a reason not to go with Windows To Go, and so I might have to go with dual booting.

This worked for me: Decrypting Technology: Install Windows 10 on USB External Hard Disk on MAC/PC. Currently dual booting pop os off of the internal drive and windows from an expansion card. Setting up refind for a nicer boot menu. It gets updated normally.

1 Like

Currently dual-booting w/ Windows 10 on the internal and PopOS/Wayland on the 1 TB expansion card. Full disk encryption on both (Bitlocker and LUKS respectively). Using the UEFI boot manager with Secure Boot enabled. 150% scaling on both. Loving it.

I really appreciate the suggestions here.

3 Likes

Just got my system today and installed popOS, but I’m running into a snag with “TearFree”. If I set up an xorg.conf as described, it appears to limit my internal screen to only running at exactly native resolution - all the other resolution options disappear.

This is causing an issue for some games in Steam (e.g. Void Bastards running under Proton) where they will fail to launch because they can’t find a compatible full screen resolution to change to.

Does anyone know how to set up an xorg.conf that won’t lock the screen to a single resolution?

I currently have an issue with some minor screen tearing even with the OPs config and after installing the video codecs YouTube on Firefox is still stuttering a lot. Low frame rates and small hiccups here and there. I am running the 21.04 on xorg

My issue is around connecting to my 4k monitor just for productivity work (via USB-C). Low framerates and Laptop fan spins up. Do I need any special Tigerlake video drivers anybody know?

1 Like

@Josh_H the mesa drivers are included in PopOS, although you can try to use the latest stable PPA instead of the slow release they got. Make sure you switch it back before upgrading to 21.10 or something. I forgot the name of the PPA but a Google search can bring you there. I am not sure how much it would do though

1 Like

Thanks @Runkai_Zhang I’ll give it a try. Otherwise maybe just waiting for my eGPU will sort it. I’ll post back once I’ve tested.

So relating to my previous post, fractional scaling of 150% is the culprit of youtube (and basically all other videos) dropping frames and it being incapable of reaching 60 fps unless it is off. Any fixes for this issue? I refuse to believe intel 11gen igpu cant decode a 1080p youtube video even with the expected performance degradation from fractional scaling.

Sorry for spam, to conclude my day, i was able to fix this problem by moving to Wayland, i ran into the same problem @Johnny_B did.

@Johnny_B According to reddit wayland causes desktop icons plugin to show an extra window. And disabling it can remove that, wouldnt be an option if you use it tho.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I am a Linux newbie. My order is batch 5 so I have not received it yet. This question is below most of you. I am currently running Pop_os on my desk top and want to install in on my framework. Do you believe that is the correct choice, or would Mint be better in terms of just getting it all up and running? I am not a gamer and will mostly use for work (word processing, spreadsheets etc) and media consumption so wifi and vpn are important to me. While I am in the process of self education and learning the CLI, I get lost a lot…lol. Any guidance would be helpful.

Thank you. I had run Mint on my desktop and then switched because of something I cannot remember…lol. Both are fine, my concern is which will play nicer with the framework computer.

In theory, couldn’t I boot off an USB ISO and try it out on the new computer? I know you can generally do that, but I am not sure if that will fully interact with the hardware and let me know if the wifi etc works. I ASSUME that will work even with a blank hard drive. Am I correct to just wishful thinking?

Hope every one has a great weekend.

Yes, that’s correct - a live USB will work on a PC even with a blank SSD (or no drive installed at all). And all the hardware should work.

If you did want to try Mint, I found the “edge” ISO supported everything out of the box:

I’m thinking of adding to the post to make a better workflow for newbies installing and running the new 5.14 kernel.