[RESPONDED] Framework laptop power light slowly turning on and off

I have a Gen12 laptop. I have just recovered from a hard drive failure but now the computer power button slowly fades between on and off (after the laptop sits for a while).
My gut feeling is that this is what happens when the laptop is suspended but nothing I have tried brings it back to the land of the living. I thought that opening the lid or pressing the power button would bring the computer back but no such luck. I have to do a hard reboot.
What gives, what am I missing? Is there a special incantation to use to awaken it?

I’d recommend a message to support if you haven’t already sent one. It sounds like it could be a hardware issue, especially if you already tested the power button on the mainboard and even that didn’t work. Have you tried pressing either of the power buttons with the power adapter connected? You could also try disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes, then reconnecting and trying the power buttons again.

It’s not a power button issue as I can hold down the power button long enough to force a shut-down.
I am more inclined to think it is related to the fact that Ubuntu was re-installed from scratch and then the home directory was restored.
This computer had no such issue before the hard drive decided to up and die … but of course it could be hardware. I just think it is more likely that maybe I failed to re-install something that was in the original Ubuntu setup.
I also thought that pressing any key at all should bring the computer out of hibernation.
The computer blanks as it is supposed to and comes back immediately if I touch it.

I currently have two trouble tickets open and I would rather not get a reputation in support … :frowning:

ah, I thought you weren’t getting any response from the power button. I won’t be much help with a linux issue unfortunately.

If you’ve already sent in a ticket for this issue, then no worries, but if you mean that you’ve had two other tickets, there’s no need to worry that you’ll be seen as a “problem”. Support is there to help you, and they’d rather you always feel comfortable asking silly questions they can answer easily rather than feel like you need to suffer alone just because you think they’d be mad at you for asking them a question! Always err on the side of “send a message to support” because they always want to help. It may just take a little bit of time because they’re doing their best to provide that help to everyone who needs it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Azure. The two issues I have open are for a dead hard drive that came out of the machine that is now giving me the hibernation issue and the other is for a flakey USB port on a Gen11.
I always want to try working through issues myself first before asking for help. Next level is open forum and only if I strike out will I start a trouble ticket.
As an example, after re-installing things I could no longer run PrusaSlicer (slicer for a 3D printer) … turns out it needed libfuse2 to run and of course that was not backed up in the home directory.
I think I will change my backup procedures to do occasional drive mirror images in addition to the incremental backup of the home directory. If I had done that I would not have wasted time on the libfuse2 issue.
BTW, the computer that is hibernating only has blanking configured and blanking works fine. Hibernation is turned off as far as I can see.

I’m having trouble following what your setup is, and how it’s behaving.

It currently set to hibernate only? No suspend-to-ram, and no simple screen locking. And what was it set to do before your SSD died?

The power button “breathing”, fading on and off slowly, should be suspend-to-ram behavior. Does your Framework react in any way when you press the breathing power button?

Sorry, what’s blanking?

Sorry for not being clearer.
The computer is set for screen blanking only, no hibernation at all. It has always been set for that (ie it hasn’t changed) although Ubuntu was re-installed from scratch (Ubuntu 22.04 installed from live distribution thumbdrive followed by upgrading to 23.04) so I can’t say for sure that everything is the same. As far as I can tell, it should not suspend to ram. The power savings settings are: Automatic Screen Brightness - off, Dim Screen - off, Screen blank - 15 min, Automatic Power Saver - off, Automatic Suspend - off. Gnome Tweaks, under ‘General’, ‘Suspend when laptop lid is closed’ - off. The screen blanking happens after 15 minutes and is working fine. The computer does not react at all if I touch the ‘breathing’ power button unless I hold it pressed down for long enough (20-30 seconds or so) to turn the computer off.

Update: Just checked the laptop … it hasn’t gone into hibernation after about 6 hrs of non activity. I have no clue why it decided to behave now. It went into the slow breathing power mode two times in a row before I started to look into this. I will keep watching it to see if the problem pops up again but for now it seems to be solved.

I just tried forcing a hibernation on the Framework computer I am currently using (sudo systemctl hibernate) - this does hibernate the computer (note that this is a different computer) but there is no slowly breathing power light. I don’t know if the slow breathing light was some sort of other state.

1 Like

Computer is behaving perfectly normal now, hasn’t hibernated/suspended any more. No idea what was causing the issue to begin with but for now it appears to be resolved.

Is there a chance you had a magnet near the device? That kind of behavior can sometimes happen if a nearby magnet is tripping the computer’s lid close sensor.

1 Like

Great idea but the computer was set up to disregard the lid-closed switch via gnome-tweaks.
I did in fact have another Framework computer within 3 ft and there is a very slight possibility that one Framework was sitting on another … In any case, the locked up computer was moved to another location to figure out what was going on so even if the switch was affected at one location it should have started working once moved.

Just now catching this as it was not tagged Linux. Just now seeing it’s mentioning Ubuntu.

23.04 is a mess, so avoid that. I’d stick with 22.04.3 using the guide’s very specific instructions for using the OEM C kernel.

I am away from my desk at the moment, however, fully updated, clean install of 22.04.3, it should suspend if you have adequate ram installed.

1 Like