[RESPONDED] How to get the fingerprint login to work?

Hi, We got a Framework 13 for Xmas. We successfully installed Ubuntu yesterday. We tried to get the fingerprint scanner working following GPT4 and also How to Enable Fingerprint Login on Ubuntu : MALIBAL … but this didnt work out.

If we go to Settings/Users/FingerprintLogin (which says disabled) we get “Failed to cliam fingerprint device Goodix MOC Fingerprint Sensor: Failed to communicate with the fingerprint reader”

Any pointers to what we should try?

Edit: Since then we followed Updating Fingerprint Reader Firmware on Linux for 13th Gen and AMD Ryzen 7040 Series Laptops but also got stuck , after Step 3, with:

$  sudo fwupdtool install --allow-reinstall --allow-older goodix-moc-609c-v01000330.cab
Loading…                 [-                                      ]21:48:27:0910 FuEngine             failed to get releases for UEFI dbx: No releases found: Not compatible with org.freedesktop.fwupd version 1.7.9, requires >= 1.9.1
21:48:27:0911 FuEngine             failed to get releases for UEFI dbx: No releases found: Not compatible with org.freedesktop.fwupd version 1.7.9, requires >= 1.9.1
Loading…                 [***************************************]
Decompressing…           [***************************************]
No supported devices found

It sounds like you are using the wrong version of fwupd. You need a newer version than you showed in your error. Try following those steps again.

Thanks, we went through everything again. This time, since it seems we have 1.7.9 we followed the steps in Updating Fingerprint Reader Firmware on Linux for 13th Gen and AMD Ryzen 7040 Series Laptops headlined ** TROUBLESHOOTING fwupd is older than 1.8.8. It all went as described until Step 4 when we got

$ sudo fwupdtool install --allow-reinstall --allow-older goodix-moc-609c-v01000330.cab  
Loading…                 [-                                      ]02:17:19:0583 FuEngine             failed to get releases for UEFI dbx: No releases found: Not compatible with org.freedesktop.fwupd version 1.7.9, requires >= 1.9.1
02:17:19:0585 FuEngine             failed to get releases for UEFI dbx: No releases found: Not compatible with org.freedesktop.fwupd version 1.7.9, requires >= 1.9.1
02:17:19:0669 FuEngine             failed to add device usb:01:00:04: failed to claim interface 0x00: USB error on device 27c6:609c : Resource busy [-6]
Loading…                 [***************************************]
Decompressing…           [***************************************]
No supported devices found

I dont know how to get a more recent version than 1.7.9 … we found 1.9.10-1 : fwupd package : Ubuntu which lists version 1.9.10 but we do not know how to proceed (neither what exactly to download nor what to after the download).

Try following [Beta] LVFS Fingerprint Reader Firmware for Framework Laptop 13, 13th Gen Intel Core & AMD 7040 Series fingerprint reader on Fedora 39 and Ubuntu 22.04

The error says resource busy. I’ve read elsewhere to reboot and try those steps again.

Thanks. This looked so promising. But it didnt work. I left a reply at [Beta] LVFS Fingerprint Reader Firmware for Framework Laptop 13, 13th Gen Intel Core & AMD 7040 Series fingerprint reader on Fedora 39 and Ubuntu 22.04 - #37 by Alexander_Kurz
Is there anything else I can try? Or do I have to give up on the fingerprint scanner?

I’d suggest filing a ticket with Framework support.

Thanks again … I just did.

We’ll tackle this in the ticket.

We will be moving the KB article into [GUIDE] LVFS Fingerprint Reader Firmware for Framework Laptop 13, 13th Gen Intel Core & AMD 7040 Series fingerprint reader on Fedora 39 and Ubuntu 22.04 here, as it does work if your existing firmware is 01000320 and we’re looking to get you to 01000330.

If a user is running 01000248 however, you do not need to flash the firmware.

Thanks. We tried with Fedora 39 and this worked. How do can we check which firmware version we have?

Happy to help!

fwupdmgr get-devices 1e8c8470-a49c-571a-82fd-19c9fa32b8c3

You’ll look for “Current Version” in the output.