[RESPONDED] Intermittent freezing. No Bluetooth

I’m on a DIY Framework 13th Gen Intel Core, i7. I’ve had it since August 2023. I use it for software work. It’s running Ubuntu 23.10

I have 2 issues.

Ever since I’ve had it, it’s had an intermittent issue where an application would freeze, refusing to acknowledge any inputs. Pressing the close button for that application window is my only option to get back to work. This issue went from happening to once every few weeks to once a day.

The 2nd issue is more frustrating. It started today. There’s no longer a Bluetooth icon in the system menu accessed from the top right of the screen. When I head to the system settings, under Bluetooth I get the message: No Bluetooth Found. Plug in a dongle to use Bluetooth.

I have nothing precious on this machine; everything I care about it backed up elsewhere.

Are there any steps I can take to resolve these issues? I’m more than happy to wipe the device and start again.

I can’t speak to the application freeze, though it sounds like a software problem. It might be correctable by reinstalling the OS, if it’s not a bug in the OS.

For the Bluetooth one, the easiest way to determine if it’s hardware or software would be to boot using a “live USB” image (the link is for other users that might stumble across this thread; since you’re using Ubuntu already, I assume you’re familiar with them). See if Bluetooth shows up when booted that way. If it does, then the problem is software; if not, then it’s hardware-related.

If it’s hardware-related, re-seating the wifi card and maybe checking the antenna wires would be the logical first step, as I believe Bluetooth is handled by that card as well as wifi. If that doesn’t solve it, talk to Framework’s support team, they might have other troubleshooting options.

If it’s software, then reinstalling the OS should fix it.

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Perhaps this is a quirk of being on a non-LTS Ubuntu distro. A new kernel update could have introduced a number of regressions. Since you say you can wipe, I would suggest using Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS and using the OEM kernel as described in the official Framework guide:

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Installation on the Framework Laptop 13 - Framework Guides

2 Likes

Hi @Ndidiamaka_Alaneme , welcome to the community.

Agree with @Chad_Nelson and @2disbetter on this one, those guides are excellent resource to pinpoint the issue and if for some reason it still persist, then kindly file a support ticket

cheers! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your responses :pray:t6::pray:t6: I’ll get myself into an optimal headspace and tackle this :grin:

1 Like

I re-seated the wifi card and installed the LTS version. No issues observed of the last 3 days of pretty heavy use :grinning: Thank you, everyone :pray:t6: :pray:t6:

:man_dancing: :+1: :laughing: