[RESPONDED] Linux deep sleep

It’s highly unlikely that any hardware would last so long if just left sleeping. I mean, DRAM consumes non-trivial amount of power which would probably drain any battery unless some form of hybernation is used.

@Edward_Gray - Are you sure? I don’t see anyone else being able to reproduce that. You mean you left it unplugged & off - not sleeping?

@Korvin - Ya well that is Apple’s secret sauce, but it can’t be that hard if they had it solid by 2012. Maybe they have some hybrid using suspend to ram and suspend to disk.

Actually it is very hard. One of the hardest parts of hardware design, in fact. Apple can afford to poach and pay engineers due to their massive profits and revenue. So yes, this is VERY hard work, and Apple has a strategic advantage due to their ability to attract talent.

People in general don’t understand that the hardware is in fact the easy part. Software is by and far the hardest part of a product.

Meh I’m not saying it has to be as good as Apple’s. Doesn’t have to be as low power or wake up as fast… However, I’m sure we could approximate a 2012 Macbook with modern hardware and modern Linux kernel - but we don’t have a coherent way to try because of lack of open source hardware + kernel dev collaboration.

Yes, I am sure I shut down. I generally use this computer for 3 or 4 hours in the morning, running Ubuntu 22.04 from a 250 GB expansion card. I am satisfied with the boot time, and I never learned to trust sleep mode. Definitely left it unplugged. As a result of comments on the forum, I was paying attention. We spent the time away on vacation. I may be a lucky one, but I haven’t had any real issues with my Framework.
Initial setup of fingerprint on Ubuntu was hard, but that’s software and user issues.

My system is an 1185 batch 1, for reference.

We’re not talking about battery draw while off @Edward_Gray

Best wishes to those who use sleep or hibernate.

Hybrid Sleep’s worked well for me on Manjaro for months. I have it tied to the lid close switch, but have also mapped ctrl-F12. My mouse locks up about every 8th wake and I have to reboot, but it’s otherwise pretty nice.

2 Likes

Aren’t those lockups more associated with S3 sleep than S2idle? It seems that with the nvme.noacpi=1, power usage on many configurations are very close between S2idle and S3, so particularly with a hybrid setup, S2idle might be good enough!

[EDIT: corrected to S2idle]

@Nils So, are you suggesting I might be better off without the nvme.noacpi=1?

No, that it’s worth a try to use s2idle sleep instead of deep sleep with nvme.noacpi=1, because it would give you much faster wake time, possibly less problems with the mouse locking up, and probably a quite similar power use while suspended.

[EDIT: corrected to “s2idle”]

1 Like

Giving it a try. Will watch the stats and see how it works. Thanks for the tip, in any case!

Arch linux derivative, 5.18 kernel, s2idle in use, nvme.noacpi set, P31 ssd, my i5-11th just slept for ~33 hours while using about ~28% battery.

3 Likes

With s2idle & nvme.noacpi set, lost just under 1% over the past 10 hours.

1 Like

…How’s that possible? The best we’ve seen is about draining 0.7% per hour. (approx 0.35W)

Well, I dropped it into hybrid sleep fully charged at 80% when I left at 9am this morning, and it was at 79% when I woke it up this evening.

(My hybrid sleep is configured to hibernate after 10 minutes of sleep.)

2 Likes

Ah…so that 10 hours really doesn’t mean much then. (Unless you were trying to test out battery drain in the off state)

3 Likes

Means a lot to me. I means I can travel with my laptop and know I’ll have plenty of juice when I need it.

2 Likes

Were you expecting the possibility of a different finding?

1 Like

I bought the Framework because I like what the company’s trying to do, and I like the idea of a repairable laptop. It’s a new company with a new product, so I didn’t have much else in the way of expectations.

I’m pleased that I can use the laptop the way I do. Really, how many of these laptops are routinely trudging to rainforests, hanging around in chocolate factories, getting jammed by airline seatbacks, and getting kicked around as much as mine does? I expect the Thinkpad to handle it, but it’s great that the Framework’s doing just fine.

4 Likes