[RESPONDED] Mint on Framework 16?

Have you looked at Zorin OS? the I believe one version has a configuration that looks very MacOS, I don’t recall if it was one of their pro or standard features, but I’ve been using it on a few machines and happy with the experience overall. It’s based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS so I’m hoping it will sort out nicely using the ubuntu guide but I’m in batch 14, so trying to wait patiently atm! :grimacing:

Thank you all for the engagement, this is great.
For my purposes, web browsing and excel there’s a lot of Linux options available, and with FW16 I just need to find what works best system-wise, so that they play nice with each other. I would want the FP read and other stuff that’s mentioned. I will probably go with what’s recommended by the FW team or just download W11 and office 19. We’ll see. I have another older laptop I can play with Linux on.

Has anyone here tried Linux Mint Debian Edition on their Framework?

I hear that the edge version is more suitable for FW16.

I also saw that awhile back, and downloaded Edge and put it on my Ventoy USB for the day the FW gets here. Next week probably.

I use Linux Mint on the FW 16. ALready mentioned be sure to move from kernel 5.15 to 6.5 and things will be good after that.

1 Like

I was able to boot on, and install 5.15 but many drivers were not working well. Once I switched to kernel 6.5 the graphics drivers were there, and everything started working very well. This was using Mint 21.3. I didn’t have to do anything special, just installed Mint and then switched kernels.

1 Like

Got my install of Mint (Edge) fully working now, it idles at about 6.5W at power-saver profile, even lower than my Windows 11 :grin:
I also got the fingerprint working including login, no idea how since I didn’t do anything different now than the first 10 times enrolling it

1 Like

Very nice, maybe framework and Linux are playing nice with each other. I heard that there’s gonna be more support for Linux from FW.

Same here, back on May 1st

I have a couple of older displays I might use to start with on my desktop situation. That would be probably temporary. I will look at an extra wide display purchase.

1. read LinuxMintInstallation guide

at Install Linux Mint — Linux Mint Installation Guide documentation
  2. Installation

1. Wrote linuxmint-21.2-cinnamon-64bit.iso to Live-USBstick with
      remsu /usr/bin/sparky-live-usb-creator
    2. Booted the Framework 16 from this Live-USBstick
      1. Chose to deny installation of Multimedia drivers, because the installer demanded SecureBoot,
        read later that Ubuntu und LinuxMint at the moment (see below) do not recommend SecureBoot, because the UEFI boot shim were deprecated.
      2. Partitioning step failed with
        ubi-partman failed with exit code 10
      3. [SOLVED]"Ubi-partman failed with exit code 10" - Linux Mint Forums recommends adding nodmraid in the GRUB boot menu to the end of the Linux boot line, after
        ... quiet splash --
      4. USB-Stick now boots and starts install Ok
    3. At first chosen Standard Partitioning to look what partitions will appear, and completed the installation. Partitions on my 500 GB drive were:
      1. 500 MB EFI
      2. 500 GB Linux
  3. Booted from Live-USBstick to modify partitions to my taste:

1. Boot from Live-USBstick fails in BIOS stage:
      usb stick verification failed 0x1a security violation
      Gelöst - Linux Mint: Installation: Verification failed (0X1A) Security Violation | Linux Club - Support Forum für GNU/Linux (german)
      die eigentliche Problemursache ist ein veralteter Bootloader (shim). Das Abschalten von secureboot ist lediglich eine Umgehungslösung.
      (the real cause of the problem is a deprecated boot loader (shim). The deactivation of secureboot is only a stop gap)
    2. For the next Boot pressed F2 to enter BIOS setup and deactivated
      Enforce Secure Boot
    3. The next Boot from Live-USBstick worked Ok
    4. Changed Partitions to my preference
      (Install made a GPT partition table, therefore all partitions are “primary”):
      1. EFI 500 MB (unchanged)
      2. Linux 500 GB → 100 GB (resized)
      3. Home 78698 MB (new)
      4. Data 300 GB (new)
      5. Swap 16400 MB (new), mainly for Hibernate
  4. Migrate the encrypted /home/{username} directory from the Linux partition to the new Home partition

1. `sudo bash` to do this with root permissions
     2. Mount the Home partition somewhere, like f.e. `/mnt`
     3. I started `mc` with `sudo`
     4. With `mc` i copied `/home/*` to `/mnt/`, including
        * `/home/.ecryptfs`
        * `/home/$USER`
         (https://askubuntu.com/questions/17332/how-can-i-move-an-encrypted-home-directory-to-another-partition recommends using rsync:
         `sudo rsync -aVP /home/ /media/home/`)

1. Add the intended mountpoints for the new partitions
      1. Get the partition UUIDs with
        sudo blkid
      2. In /etc/fstab add lines similar to the one of the Linux partition for the new partitions, only changing the UUID values and desired Mountpoints:
        • Home mount on /home
        • Data mount on /mnt/data
          For swap, replace the swapfile reference with the relevant UUID={value}.
  5. Enable Hibernation (LinuxMint 21.4 and the matching Ubuntu apparently disabled this)

1. Prepare the Swap partition for Hibernate resume
      1. Power management/Suspend and hibernate - ArchWiki says that the value in /sys/power/image_size is good estimate for the needed swap space size to hibernate. My freshly installed Linux Mint said:
        or about 6 GB.
      2. Get the UUID of the Swap Partition:
        sudo blkid
      3. In /etc/default/grubmodify:
        GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nodmraid"
        to
        GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nodmraid resume=uuid=..."
        using the found blkid value after uuid=
    2. Activate hibernate like in https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=273202 “3. Enable hibernation in the shutdown menu”:
      1. You’ll need to install polkitd-pkla and it’s dependencies first:
        sudo apt install polkitd-pkla
      2. Open terminal and run the following commands to create and edit the configuration file:
         sudo touch /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla
         xed admin:///etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla

3. When the file opens, copy and paste the following content into the file and save it:
        [Re-enable hibernate by default in upower] 
        Identity=unix-user:* 
        Action=org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate 
        ResultActive=yes

[Re-enable hibernate by default in logind]
        Identity=unix-user:* 
        Action=org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate;org.freedesktop.login1.handle-hibernate-key;org.freedesktop.login1;org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate-multiple-sessions;org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate-ignore-inhibit
        ResultActive=yes

4. For KDE and the default GNOME Desktop, there’s a few steps more to do.
        Look in the web URL above after “For KDE user, try this one …”.
  6. Enable the GRUB menu at boot with a timeout of more than 0 seconds (see grub2 - How to get to the GRUB menu at boot-time? - Ask Ubuntu)

1. change in /etc/default/grub the lines
      GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
      GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
      to
      GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
      GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
    2. sudo update-grub
    3. sudo reboot
  7. Status right now:

• (non-Secure)Boot works,
    • the encrypted home directory still works after copy,
    • the Grub menu appears instead of silently starting the default entry
    • Kernel 5.15… that came with the ISO runs Ok
    • Kernel 6.1.0-21 installs and runs Ok
    • now i could start adding Applications.
5 Likes

Did you mean Step 10 in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Installation on the Framework Laptop 16 ?
This is for Ryzen 7040 only, though.

Yeah, I have LMDE installed, in combination with Proxmox.
Apart from some suspend/hibernate problems that I’m experiencing, it works fine.

• Hibernate apparently works Ok
  • Suspend apparently works Ok

Hi,
14W idling with Mint 21.2 on a Ryzen7040 here.
Did you change the /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/power-profiles-daemon.policy ?

No, actually I don’t even have that policy.
And changing powerprofilesctl between balanced and power-saving barely affects idle.
I only closed everything except powertop, turned bluetooth off and the screen brightness all the way down

Ah i see, that would explain that.

The policy is installed with power-profiles-daemon, i believe.

If so, how?
Or should I just go with one of the other distros that are currently covered.

Welcome to the forum.
You might find useful info here [RESPONDED] Mint on Framework 16?

Note that if run into issues, like where you may ask for official support, you’ll be requested to check if your issue is present in an officially supported / tested distro.