[RESPONDED] Mint on Framework 16?

My order was in batch 5, and I’ve received my 16 on Friday. I have put it together and installed it with Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 Edge. It’s working well, but two times (once yesterday and once today) the desktop has crashed. The Panel disappears then the whole desktop locks up, and I can’t shutdown, I end up powering off, then back on to recover. Mint is fully patched and up-to-date. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Did you also try restarting Cinnamon with Ctrl+Alt+Esc? That has recovered a frozen desktop in the past for me, on other laptops.

2 Likes

No, I had not run across that work-around. I’ll try it next time this happens. Thanks!

2 Likes

I have a similar issue when i use my external NVME-SSD (copying Files). The whole Computer freezes and i have to power down.

System:
Kernel: 6.5.0-26-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A Desktop: Cinnamon 6.0.4 tk: GTK 3.24.33
wm: muffin vt: 7 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 Distro: Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: Framework product: Laptop 16 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series) v: A7
Mobo: Framework model: FRANMZCP07 v: A7 UEFI: INSYDE v: 03.02

The suggestion above has helped me recover from this issue until today. I’ve found that my issue seems to have something to do with being logged in twice as two different users. When I’m only logged in once, everything is solid and stable.

But I got locked up today, and the above didn’t fix the issue. The panel was just gone. I’ve just installed another memory dimm and I’m hoping that the instability was memory related.

I’ve also discovered that I could CTRL-ALT-F1 to bring up an alternate text console, and log in there and force a clean reboot instead of holding the power button until it hard shuts off. That’s at least cleaner.

1 Like

A little more research, and I found that I can login via any of the F1-F6 virtual consoles as a different user (using CTRL-ALT-F#), then type startx and have a full graphical desktop session that gets around my problem with the other method, and is quicker to switch between them.

1 Like

I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 Edge and, so far (knock on wood), things are working fine. I haven’t run into any huge problems yet. Things seemed to just work out of the box. I’m still transferring stuff over and migrating off of my old laptop so we’ll see if that continues to be the case.

Incidentally, when it says here that we will be missing out on tweaks and improvements like it says here…

What does that mean, exactly? I clicked on the link and it went to a page for FW 13 not 16. I went to what looks like the corresponding page for FW 16 and it looks like there aren’t really any huge tweaks or improvements that we’re missing out on. Maybe the PPD stuff? I haven’t really seen how much of a difference that that’s going to make from my limited usage so far. @Matt_Hartley could you please elaborate a little more when/if you get a chance on what the FW 16-specific tweaks and improvements are that we’re missing out on?

1 Like

I finally received my Framework 16 laptop. Very excited to get going on it. Has anyone got experience with Installing Linux Mint on the Framework 16 yet? Is there maybe a guide under development for this. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Lodewyk, i would say stay away from Mint. I use it maybe two weeks. Problems are:

Fingerprint doesn’t work, Lightsensor doesn’t work, High Powerdraw when idle (9-10 Watts). I had problems to get Hibernation to work (damaged Files → new installation). Startmenu is buggy (graphical issue), App-Managment is buggy (buttons are not correctly redrawn, pictures are not shown, scrollbar doesn’t work correctly). Tried the Guest-Account, now i find myself in that Account when i boot the machine (disabled it of course, doesn’t help).

Had strange Problems to couple my Bluetooth Headset (now it works). My Scanner can not be found (Network, connected to Router) only when direct connected to USB. Mint isn’t HiDPI-Aware i would say, fractional scaling is experimental. Tried an external Monitor, after disconnecting Taskbar and Startmenu disappeared. Today i had a Login-Loop, battery was nearly empty, don’t know why because i always close the lid → Suspend then Hibernate.

At first i tried Ubuntu. Fingerprint and Lightsensor worked. Maybe you should go with it because they support it.

Btw english isn’t my First Language. Greetings from Germany

I saw awhile back that Mint Edge was the version to use on FW.

I installed Mint 2 days ago (Edge version) and I activated fractional scaling, adapted the Grub font (dual boot) and I would say it’s work quite well.
Not perfect (consumption seems high and some SW have small icons but an AppImage saves QMapShack !) but it’s so ergonomic that for me, the balance is on the right side. I will wait till Mint 22 (with more recent kernel) to see the improvements.
Note :

• I have an autologin so the finger print is not really useful for me.
  • I connected an external screen and then I had to readjust the scale factor

I didn’t mention that i come from Windows (since 3.1). Using Windows 7 on my PC since 13 years i never had an Login-Loop. You wrote something about the Grub font, i don’t know how to change such things. What is QMapShack ? Because i come from Windows i naturally try to run Windows-programs. Using Mono or Wine brings more trouble, like very very small Icons. Btw i am using Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, Kernel 6.5.0-1020-oem. Think that’s the Edge version.

• Fingerprint-Sensor: Also for me it’s no real Problem because i am used to login with a Password. My PC never had a FP-Sensor, my Tablet (Win 10) has no FP-Sensor. Autologin is only useful in an trustfull Enviroment. Wonder that you use it with a mobile Device. FP-Sensor would be nice at the console (Sudo) or when starting Programs which need higher rights (Start as Admin on Windows).

Thank you for your reply deLemere! Yes I think I will wait based on all the issues people are talking about. I bought this Framework 16 Laptop with Graphics Module and I need to get started ASAP with a Rhino 3D Graphics project. I will just make the host OS Ubuntu and host Win 11 Pro under VirtualBox that supports 3D graphics… I can always rebuild again later when there is finally a supported version of Mint as I like the fact that you can create a MacOS look-alike user interface. I switched to MacOS in 2011 and never looked back. I will be attempting to get a Mac OS for AMD CPU’s going too under VirtualBox. Man I am impressed with the Framework 16 laptop and equally with the forum for support. Thanks everyone!

Have you looked at Zorin OS? the I believe one version has a configuration that looks very MacOS, I don’t recall if it was one of their pro or standard features, but I’ve been using it on a few machines and happy with the experience overall. It’s based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS so I’m hoping it will sort out nicely using the ubuntu guide but I’m in batch 14, so trying to wait patiently atm! :grimacing:

Thank you all for the engagement, this is great.
For my purposes, web browsing and excel there’s a lot of Linux options available, and with FW16 I just need to find what works best system-wise, so that they play nice with each other. I would want the FP read and other stuff that’s mentioned. I will probably go with what’s recommended by the FW team or just download W11 and office 19. We’ll see. I have another older laptop I can play with Linux on.

Has anyone here tried Linux Mint Debian Edition on their Framework?

I hear that the edge version is more suitable for FW16.

I also saw that awhile back, and downloaded Edge and put it on my Ventoy USB for the day the FW gets here. Next week probably.

I use Linux Mint on the FW 16. ALready mentioned be sure to move from kernel 5.15 to 6.5 and things will be good after that.

1 Like

I was able to boot on, and install 5.15 but many drivers were not working well. Once I switched to kernel 6.5 the graphics drivers were there, and everything started working very well. This was using Mint 21.3. I didn’t have to do anything special, just installed Mint and then switched kernels.

1 Like