Disclaimer: I have no idea whether this is an issue with the framework, the TV, the OS, or configuration. For no particular reason, I decided to ask here first.
I am having trouble consistently getting audio out via HDMI to my TV and it has me stumped. By consistently I mean that I seem to get audio working on rare occasions, maybe every 1/10 boots.
What has me stumped is that I have tried several things to diagnose the issue and I still can’t tell whether it comes from the framework, TV, OS, or configuration. Here’s a short list of the things I have tried and there results in parenthesis:
- Changed HDMI cable (No change)
- Factory Reset the TV (No change)
- Plugged the Framework into a different HDMI device (Audio worked)
- Plugged a different HDMI device into the TV (Audio worked)
(3) and (4) are what confuse me the most. (3) tells me that the issue is likely the TV or the audio configuration within the TV or Framework. On the other hand (4) tells me that the issue is with the Framework or the configuration. Knowing that (2) resulted in no change, this leads me to believe that the issue is likely the audio configuration on the Framework…
However, I have no idea what the issue could possibly be on what should be a fairly simple configuration in pipewire/pulse. I’ve even disconnected the audio board for now to make things even easier.
I’ve made a short video to help visualize what my issue is (which you can find it here). It is split into two parts, with the first being a video I recorded with my phone and a second an OBS capture. Each was made in roughly the same time frame.
Notice how I get TV sounds but no actual audio coming from the framework in the phone video? Notice how I do get audio from the framework in the OBS capture?
Details about my setup:
- 1st gen Framework (in Coolermaster case)
- NixOS 23.05
- Pipewire (with pipewire-pulse)
- Sony Bravia XBR-65X900F