[RESPONDED] Replacing power-profiles-daemon with tlp in the official Fedora 38 guide

Sorry if this is stupid, but I can’t find any mention of replacing power-profiles-daemon with tlp in the official Fedora 38 guide (https://github.com/FrameworkComputer/linux-docs/blob/main/Fedora38-13thGen.md)

Why did you decide to change that?

1 Like

Moved this as it was tagged under an non-Workstation thread (UBlue (based on Fedora Silverblue) - gave this otherwise solid post a home of its own. :slight_smile:

Great question, for various reasons we document this for Fedora users here.

And other Fedora tidbits for troubleshooting can be found here.

1 Like

I reread the linked articles and didn’t see the answer to the OPs question of why the advice has change. I saw no mention of Fedora 38 and the only reference to 13th gen (OP linked to a Intel 13th gen guide) is the expansion cards drain shouldn’t be a problem. What did I miss?

1 Like

We document in the KB (Knowledge Base) vs Guides as not everyone wants this as a go to.

It’s not a must have item (guides) for basic function, it’s a electable functional change (KB). We want this type of thing in the KB as it is not a requirement for basic operation, it’s an elective.

I have another perhaps stupid question. Does this also apply for Fedora KDE/Kinoite? Or is power-profiles-daemon something Gnome-specific?

These are good questions! The guides and KB articles are for Fedora Workstation, not the immutable desktop ISOs. So whatever it has is what it has (not entirely sure, have not touched it myself).

We do have a community created Bluefin spin (based on Silverblue) image with the TLP tweaks ready to go. One could rebase that with KDE I’m sure, but that would be a @Jorge_Castro question as I don’t want to speak out of school here.

1 Like

I believe they Silverblue and Kinoite ship with power-profiles-daemon. As it is part of the base image you will likely have to mask the service and then install tlp with rpm-ostree or run it from toolbox.

1 Like

Thanks @nadb :slight_smile:

Yeah I’m hoping to enable a -framework variant for all the ublue desktops, it’s just been a matter of finding the time.

(If someone reading this wants to help out feel free to DM me!)

2 Likes

Thanks @Jorge_Castro and all, seriously, consider it a personal favor if anyone would like to help Jorge out with this. This is absolutely a sanctioned community project I care deeply about.

2 Likes

Oh, I see the misunderstanding now!

1 Like