I’m having an intermittent issue with my Framework 13, AMD variant. I use it with a dock and two external monitors, and sometimes when I plug it in to the dock (and occasionally when I just wake it up from sleep, while it’s already plugged in) the screen starts going crazy. Sometimes I can get it to stop by unplugging/replugging it a couple of times, but some of the time that doesn’t work. However, what always seems to work is logging out and back in (assuming I can see enough of the screen to accomplish that), which leads me to believe that this is primarily a software issue rather than a hardware issue.
Here’s a video demonstrating the issue. This video is just of the built-in monitor but it looks the same on the external monitors when it occurs. Sometimes it’s just one monitor, sometimes it’s multiple.
So far I haven’t observed it just happening spontaneously - it always seems to require some change to the monitor configuration. Mostly it seems to happen when it starts sending picture to the external monitors. I can’t remember off the top of my head whether it’s started happening when I disconnected it from the external monitors, but I’ve certainly encountered it continuing to happen in that case (in the instance where I took the video, it had started happening while connected to the dock, and continued after I unplugged it.)
- Framework Laptop 13" AMD, DIY edition
- Ubuntu 22.04, pretty much completely stock (notably this means I’m using Wayland)
- Kernel version: 6.2.0-37-generic
- BIOS changes:
- Set battery charge limit to 75%
- Disabled secure boot in order to update fingerprint reader firmware as detailed on the Framework support site, the display issue has happened both before and after I did that
As far as peripherals go, I have two similar-but-different setups (home and work), so I’ll post the details separately.
Work: Laptop → dock → mouse/keyboard/monitors
- Dock: Kensington SD2500T Thunderbolt 3 Dock
- Monitors: 2x LG 4k monitors - I think they’re both 27UL550s, but one might be a 27UN850. With this setup I keep all 3 monitors scaled to 150%.
- Mouse is a Razer Deathadder if that matters, and keyboard is a Glorious GMMK
Home: Laptop → dock → KVM switch → mouse/keyboard/monitors/etc
- Dock: Anker PowerExpand USB-C dock A8394
- KVM switch: KCEVE USB 3.0 Dual Monitor KVM switch DisplayPort + HDMI
- Monitor 1: Samsung S80A 4k, scaled to 150%
- Monitor 2: Nixeus EDG27X 165Hz 1440p, scaled to 100%
One last detail: So far I have only had the dock connected to one of the rear expansion ports, i.e. the ones closer to the hinge. It was pointed out to me by a coworker that those are the USB4 ports, which might be related somehow. I’ll try connecting the dock to one of the front ports and see if the issue continues.
I’ve seen a few other threads that are similar-ish, but none of them quite match what I’m seeing (I would link to them but it seems I’ve hit my limit for links in this post):
- “Screen flickers after logging in and at random times” - My flicker looks very different, and also isn’t related to logging in as far as I can tell (except that logout/login fixes it)
- “[SOLVED] My screen flickers sometimes” - looks like that issue was specific to Intel iGPUs
- “Windows 11 - Screen Flicker” - I’m not on Windows, also that issue talks about the screen just turning off and then back on again, which is different from what I’m seeing.
At this point my top suspect is driver issues, but I don’t know how best to confirm that. I can’t even tell what driver and version I’m using, other than just whatever is baked into the kernel that I’m on. I’d be happy to try updating drivers, I’m just not sure what the best way is to do that.