[RESPONDED] Using elementary OS on the Framework Laptop

@Tuesday Small update. I have installed both Ubuntu and Pop!_OS 22.04 almost effortlessly. So I could at least verify the hardware is working as expected.

I’ve also managed to boot into the elementary OS 6.1 USB stick using the nomodeset boot parameter in grub. The trackpad didn’t work, so I had to connect a mouse. That way, I could install elementary OS.

To boot after installing, press F12 and choose the safeboot kernel. You’ll have no internet, but I had a Belkin USB Wifi double lying around, which came in handy. But I suppose a USB to Ethernet adapter would work equally well.

Once you got internet, run sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade twice, perhaps three times to be sure. The second time it installed kernel version 5.15.0-48. When nothing needed to be installed anymore, it booted as normal and everything worked.

UPDATE: also follow the instructions of the 22.04 Ubuntu guide to fix the screen brightness buttons: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Installation on the Framework Laptop - Framework Guides

UPDATE 2: if you want to enable the fingerprint reader, follow these instructions: greeter - How can I sign in with my fingerprint on Elementary OS 6 Odin? - elementary OS Stack Exchange

1 Like

@Wout Thank you for such a detailed response. The issue I’m having is that I can’t even get it installed to the point where I have grub. This is the first OS I’ve tried to put on this laptop. Do you think I’d be able to get it working if I installed something else first?

@Tuesday I’m not sure about having an OS installed to be able to install elementary. I guess that it doesn’t matter.

I forgot to mention that I did disable secure boot in the BIOS settings, and at some point, I also removed the Wifi card. But the card was in again when I installed elementary OS.

As for reaching a situation where you can edit the boot settings, at some point, I got a screen where I saw a configuration line with ... quiet splash ..., so I changed that to ... quiet splash nomodeset ... and that’s when I got in.

I got there with F12 at startup, selecting the elementary OS thumb drive, and then press e as described at the bottom of the screen. But I’m unable to reproduce it now after trying a few times. Perhaps you can ask on the elementary OS Slack how to boot with nomodeset? Or perhaps someone here can help? I’m by no means an expert on this.

@Wout thank you so much for all of your help. I ended up just giving up and installing Fedora.

For anyone else trying to install elementary OS on the framework, it doesn’t current work (based on both my own attempts and what I’ve seen from others online). Unless you’re already very comfortable with linux and want to do a lot of messing around, don’t bother trying to install it.

1 Like

@cassidyjames will Elementary 7 work out of the box installing on a new Framework laptop (release schedule allready available?)?
I had the same error as in the black screendump above about wifi I presume.

For me this would be the first non-virtual experience with Elementary, hope this will work, now stuck to Windows only.

As far as I know, Cassidy is no longer associated with Elementary. He might still be able to help answer your question, but he might not know as a result either.

Thanks!
I’ve read it, pity he left the company.
Hopefully they will continue making a great OS.

Tried installing elementary OS 6.1 but encountered the same wifi issue as @Tuesday. Should’ve read here before wasting time. Shame, I am using elementary on my Lenovo X220 and it’s brilliant.

1 Like

Yeah, as you may have heard, I am no longer at elementary and as such have not been involved in its development. I will say, elementary OS 6.x is still based on Ubuntu 20.04 whereas elementary OS 7 will be based on an Ubuntu 22.04 base, so you may be better off waiting for its release with the newer kernel and whatnot. As far as I have seen, elementary OS 7 will still be using X.org so the above instructions should still work, though I have not tried them on elementary OS lately as I’ve personally moved on to using Endless OS for work and Fedora for my personal machines.

2 Likes

Installing backport-iwlwifi-dmks package solves the wifi issue on elementary OS 7. Screen resolution still benefits from tweak described above. Everything else works just fine out of the box.

1 Like

I’ve just installed elementaryOS 7 and I have an issue with the screen. When I implement the tweak around Display Scaling, my screen is flickering (same when code is run on every login). Once I connect an external display and disconnect it, everything is working perfectly. Any ideas?

I had a similar issue when implementing the tweak. I added the below third line to my ~/.profile, which seems to have fixed the issue for me.

xrandr --newmode "3000x2000_60.00"  514.00  3000 3240 3568 4136  2000 2003 2013 2072 -hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode eDP-1 "3000x2000_60.00"
xrandr --output eDP-1 --mode 3000x2000_60.00 --scale 2
1 Like

Thank you!
It works, but I had to add a line. Weirdly I need to switch first to another screen resolution and after that apply 3000*2000.
I still have glitches for 1 sec while launching the session but at least now I can use it properly

xrandr --newmode "3000x2000_60.00"  514.00  3000 3240 3568 4136  2000 2003 2013 2072 -hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode eDP-1 "3000x2000_60.00"
xrandr --output eDP-1 --mode 2256x1504 --scale 2
xrandr --output eDP-1 --mode 3000x2000_60.00 --scale 2

Has anyone gotten xrandr custom resolution to work on a Framework 13 AMD? I am following the steps but cannot get it to work. First I use xrandr --listmonitors to determine that my internal display is called eDP. Then if I run the following lines:

xrandr --newmode "3000x2000_60.00" 514.00 3000 3240 3568 4136 2000 2003 2013 2072 -hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode eDP "3000x2000_60.00"
xrandr --output eDP --mode 3000x2000_60.00

I get an error that xrandr: Configure crtc 0 failed. If I try variations with other custom resolutions, sometime the screen goes black and never comes back on until I reboot.

Every time I reboot my computer I run the following command which works for me:

xrandr --newmode "3000x2000_60.00"  513.44  3000 3240 3568 4136  2000 2001 2004 2069  -HSync +Vsync && xrandr --addmode eDP-1 "3000x2000_60.00"

I’ve made it easier by adding a alias for it:

alias add-resolution='xrandr --newmode "3000x2000_60.00"  513.44  3000 3240 3568 4136  2000 2001 2004 2069  -HSync +Vsync && xrandr --addmode eDP-1 "3000x2000_60.00"'
1 Like

Thanks for the response Peter. Those commands you provided should define a new custom resolution, and then make it available to the display eDP-1. But how do you actually change the resolution, because that is when I get an error whether I do it with xrandr --output or by using the graphical interface. Either method, the resolution fails to change.

Ah, I’ve selected the new 3000x2000 options in the regular elementary OS display settings. Since then it automatically switches to this when I run the command I shared.

1 Like

Nothing to add here. I hope the community can help you to get this sorted.

Just a reminder that this is our support policy for distros we test against at this time.

We are specifically focused on Wayland, as it is the default for our recommended distros.