[RESPONDED] What's a USB device: usb-device-8087-0032 and why's it using my battery so much?

It seems to be using a lot of battery:

It sounds like maybe bluetooth? But I have bluetooth disabled. I’m on lowest brightness, my laptop feels warm, and battery has dropped 4% just since I started typing this. I’ve been trying to troubleshoot my poor battery life for awhile.

Do you have any expansion cards plugged in?

@Shiroudan I have 2 USB-A, 2 USB-C, but nothing plugged into them.

Intel AX210 Bluetooth

8087 is the vendor ID (VID)
0032 is the product ID (PID)

You need to figure out what process might still be running / trying to init the device.

2 Likes

Hmm, is there a better way to disable it?

See if there’s a module loaded for the device. then rmmod maybe?

If that solves the power consumption (temporarily)…then you might want to blacklist it from loading…assuming you don’t use Bluetooth.

Yeah, I never use it. I’ll see if I can figure out how to blacklist it.

This sounds promising:

❯ sudo systemctl disable bluetooth
Synchronizing state of bluetooth.service with SysV service script with /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install disable bluetooth
Removed /etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.bluez.service.
Removed /etc/systemd/system/bluetooth.target.wants/bluetooth.service.

Do keep us posted. I feel like something was trying to run with with it (a process specifically or something was misconfigured somewhere).

Either way, if you have it working well using this approach, please do let us know. The screenshot looks like Pop OS and lately, I have seen a LOT of weirdness with Pop. Ubuntu and Fedora is not seeing these issues on my tested Framework 13 laptops (11th and 12th gen).

1 Like

Disabling bluetooth helped quite a bit! Another thing that really sucked down the battery was when the backups would run by either timeshift and/or deja dup.

I think that those processes would show up as intel_atomic_commit_work though.

1 Like