Rework Instructions for 11th Gen Mainboards to enable powering the RTC circuit from the main battery

Eager indeed. For more than a year now, I have it parked in the corner, plugged in on a timer, to power up the adapter for 1 hour every day. Keep-alive.

As a first generation owner that has experienced RTC battery issues I would love to see this come to fruition. It’s a clever solution!

Looks like a couple of weeks without an update – would be appreciated.
Started having this problem myself now so no longer just academic…
I could get a replacement battery from FW but if there’s hope that we can buy a bypass solution sometime soon it would be a lot better to just wait.

I expect that the getting stuck issue is caused by the RTC battery supplying a too low but still above zero voltage. With Framework’s new circuit I expect a stable voltage, even if the battery is almost empty. Only when the battery is completely gone, you might lose the BIOS settings, but then the RTC circuit should be turned completely off (and back on when connected to a charger), just like when you’d replace the RTC battery completely.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Backup utility for BIOS settings?

Where could I leave my email address, so you could send me a mail to inform me and notice that this solution is available and that I can order it ?
Thanks

I’m certain that they’ll post in this thread when a final solution is complete … you could bookmark it and check back periodically?

Or set Tracking to notify you of every post … although that will undoubtedly be noisy.

1 Like

You’re right. They’re sending a replacement.

I’ve found a “bodge”: I just left the battery out… Now when I put it on the charger I can start the laptop. It always charges to 100% because none of the BIOS settings stick, but better than nothing.

2 Likes

Throw us a bone with some kind of update, guys?
If we’re not getting close then I’ll contact Support about a replacement battery.
If there’s hope that we’re getting close I’ll just wait for the final workaround solution.

Framework updates us when they have news. I would reach out to support for an extra battery, maybe if they are days away from releasing this they will tell you to hold off.

2 Likes

Just quicker to order yourself a new battery and have it next day or so than wait for Framework.

1 Like

We’ve released design files for the fake RTC battery based on initial testing, but these should be considered “beta”-level of maturity: GitHub - FrameworkComputer/RTCRework

We’ve also sent out some test pieces to moderators for additional testing and feedback to lock in the design.

12 Likes

Thank you for this, Mr. Patel (@nrp).

Is there any plan to have the pre-assembled components available in the marketplace, so that all we need to do is solder the one connection?

I practiced on one of my two HDMI cards. Somehow I managed to pull it off without destroying the card, but it was a challenge. I haven’t attempted the other one yet, was trying to do some comparison on power usage before modifying it.

Thanks again, and have a great day.

As the alpha tests worked, just a tad tight fitting, this beta may well be the final version. Would like to know details, etc.

We want to finalize the design (one additional round of samples in progress) before we lock in a path for distributing these.

13 Likes

Good to know. Looking forward with anticipation. Will be nice to use the Framework on the road here in Brooklyn and Queens

Great news, thank you very very much for the update!

Very happy to see a rework and board just about ready to go. I was going to use the github files to get one made at JLCPCB … but if Framework is getting ready to actually sell/distribute the workaround hardware as a fix, I’ll wait!

Danke!

Welp, despite near-daily use and being on a charger at least 80% of the time, my 11th gen framework has entered the “wont boot” club. Eagerly awaiting the release of your hotfix fake battery.

Please contact support. They will send you a replacement RTC battery at no charge, regardless of warranty status.

2 Likes