Rework Instructions for 11th Gen Mainboards to enable powering the RTC circuit from the main battery

You could just wait for them to finish testing…

1 Like

The suspense is killing me…

Don’t give them ideas… :anguished:

5 Likes

Will be finally happy when that day comes. As a non-profit grant writer, I travel throughout Brooklyn and Queens and have had to bring a small and cheap Asus instead. It works, but barely. My tools are on my Framework.

1 Like

3 years later… eagerly awaiting the fix to this major design flaw.

4 Likes

It’s worth noting that there’s an Intel silicon bug in 11th gen CPUs, not a Framework design flaw.

6 Likes
Pic

What kind of wire is that on the fake coin cell prototypes? Looks like the insulation has shrunk back in the above pic.

If they are going to come with the wire attached, it would be nice if they could be silicone insulated.

I assume this is a quick and dirty prototype and they just use some cheap standard single strand wire with plastic insulation.

As said before, enamel wire (or silicone insulated, as you said) would be much better.

That’s user error on my part, I initially used a soldering iron that was far too hot. The melting is from fiddling around trying to get a bigger-than-intended glob of solder off of the wire. The stripped portion of wire is also fairly long, that could be trimmed back if you wanted, but it isn’t hurting anything. Remember all of this sits under one of the plastic covers - it’s peeled back in the picture.

1 Like

By the times it comes out, you’ve had to wait for it to come into stock 4 times and then paid the shipping costs you may as well wait for the 12th Gen boards to go to clearance and get one of them.
:wink: :laughing:

1 Like

Have we heard anything about how this fix is going to be distributed yet?

2 Likes

Posts here by Nrp and the Framework team have been our source of information. They haven’t said.

Well, from the sound of things, they’re steadily working on it, so patience, grasshopper.

Tks

Or it’s two issues that contribute to one symptom that affects people who’s use-case includes “Stuff it in a drawer for a week”. It’s unfortunate, but asking what happens if someone doesn’t use their computer for a week doesn’t seem like an intuitive usecase.

That’s not to say that not using a computer is a fault of the user; it’s reasonable and possible that it happens in retrospect, and it’s clearly affected a segment of owners. But there are elegant solutions on the way.

I speak as an 11th gen user who has never let the battery run down and who uses their computer daily. I’m not thrilled that I could be affected, and I look forward to mitigating the possibility of it happening. But I’m also happy that the issue is being acknowledged, explained, and addressed, and that this is the show-stopping problem specific to my first-gen “1.0” notebook device.

7 Likes

To me, it sounds like a reasonable use case…if you also consider how much we fit that notion into other use cases:

1. What happens if I don’t turn on the TV for a week? Will it lose my TV settings?
  2. What happens if I don’t drink that milk in a week? Will it go bad?
  3. If I don’t water my plants for a week, what will happen to them.
  4. What happen if I leave my kitchen life in the sink, with water, for a week?
  5. If I don’t call my girlfriend for a week, will she call the police to find me?

Mentally, we have some degree of assumption / expectation when it comes to ‘in-storage stability’ / expiration characteristics / rate of change of objects.

In fact, the notion is so intuitive that you don’t usually think about it, to ask about it.

1 Like

I don’t think so. AFAIK there are two issues with similar symptoms, they are related and both caused by a flat RTC battery. A flat RTC battery has nothing to do with Intel…

Sorry I’m not really interested to debate how significant of an issue this is I just wanted to clear up what I see as misinformation.

1 Like

There have already been two threads rehashing the cause of the RTC bug, both of which have been closed for becoming unproductive and toxic.

This thread is for discussion of the multiple available and upcoming fixes. Please do not continue to derail this thread or we will be forced to remove posts or close the thread – something we would really rather avoid since this discussion, if it stayed on topic, would be a great resource.

14 Likes

please please please, communicate this proactively when it is released. My feelings towards the 11th gen have been souring a lot because of this little design mistake. But that replacement board would be a godsend.

I have great soldering skills and many of the tools but the original solutions still is out of reach for me. This however, seems like attaching a single wire and should be very manageable.

5 Likes

The way I understand this fix is that it replaces the coin cell and takes the energy from the battery. Is that correct? Because it would still mean that the issue can occur in the unlikely case the main battery is drained.

I’m also eagerly awaiting this fix. Had it once I received my frame.work and now I have it again, even though I charged it for 24 hours last weekend…

If this is the case you should contact support. It means the cell was deep-cycled to the point that it no longer holds a charge. They will send you a free replacement RTC battery regardless of warranty status.

4 Likes