[Showcase] RGB LED Matrix Input Module

I have a silly question maybe, but I got a macro module currently in my fw16, which will be replaced with your matrices. Question is, how hard would it be to create a usb case for framework input modules? So I could keep using the macros just outside the laptop?

1 Like

If you want more help with this, I would suggest creating a new thread. But, in short, it really wouldn’t be that difficult, the modules already use usb just in a contact pad based connector, so electrically, not much would be necessary other than having two connectors on a board.

2 Likes

It’s been discussed in various threads, eg Input Module Production test adapter - #3 by Josh_Cook , but no one has made a dedicated thread for that yet. Has the exact pogo connector used by framework been published yet, or would you need to buy and rework Framework ?

1 Like

Hi all! My 16 is coming this week, and I got it with LED matrices with intent to use them for monitoring, Battery %/RAM %, CPU/GPU %, CPU/GPU temp. I’m wondering if anyone’s already done something like this, and if not, is there any interest in it, because I plan to develop this myself if nothing like it is already around, their APIs and existing tools seem sufficient for this, and if there’s some interest it would be great to either make some PRs or at least a separate repo for the community to use.

Also, it’s a bit unclear to me, are the LED matrices RGB or white only? It would be quite convenient if they were RGB as it would allow for color gradients on the percentages

Edit:
Sorry, just realized that this has effectively nothing to do with the other LED matrices Framework ships with, so that answers my question, though I guess at least I’ll be able to eventually get these and use them for the same purpose

1 Like

I have some ideas for doing this, I have an intention to do something that will take numeric or macro keypads, or matrix displays. It will be a little while until I get around to it though.

2 Likes

I was able to get OpenRGB working!

3 Likes

Ok, OpenRGB is too much fun!

7 Likes

OpenRGB is great. :heart:

1 Like

That was fast! Now when can I get mine shipped :smiley:

Great work, looks so fun!.

1 Like

DOUBLE TROUBLE

15 Likes

Looking pretty great! Can’t wait to get mine.

1 Like

On no, I’ve been Rickrolled … :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Actually… @Joseph_Schroedl, you should make sure some kind of macro or preset in the control software or something to display that. Not as good for a single one, but I think it can still visually look OK.

1 Like

I started a separate thread to discuss this:

2 Likes

Small update: Nirav has mailed me the FPC connectors I need to finish assembling the modules. I will be working on those this weekend and will start mailing out units.

9 Likes

71 RGB LED Modules!!!

12 Likes

@Joseph_Schroedl Is there any way to still get in on purchasing? I see the site has it Out of Stock

Nevermind, i see your earlier reply

1 Like

All orders packed up and ready for the post office!

8 Likes

Love the ikea bag lol, can’t wait to get mine!

1 Like

Here is a page I created on my website with instructions for OpenRGB setup. It also has instructions for re-programming the modules with my OpenRGB compatible firmware.

I’ll be adding documentation soon with easier to understand pinouts and instructions for flashing CircuitPython. But, the instructions for flashing CircuitPython are the same as any RP2040 microcontroller. Except, you’ll still need to use the BOOTSEL switch on the back of the module to get into the UF2 bootloader.

2 Likes