External USB-C enclosure for input modules

This has been discussed enough in the margins of other threads that I feel it deserves a thread of its own.

Lots of folks have asked for an external enclosure for their input modules that would let them use them outside the FW16. Common use cases:

• Numeric keypad (medium size module) swapped out for flashy bling but still available as a USB accessory.
  • The keyboard is so nice I’d like to use it for my other machines” (large size module)
  • “When I upgrade my LED module to an RGB LED module I’d like to have someplace to show off the extra module” (small size module)
  • Developers or production testing modules

It’s not super hard: the input modules are just USB-C, and we have specs for the connectors, and even a full schematic for a “dev board” which adapters the pogo pins to USB-C. The main task is just designing a suitable (and sleek?) enclosure.

3 Likes

My own contributions here: I’ve started working on a parametric freecad design for the enclosure, which ought to be able to scale from small to medium to large to even theoretically “full scale” (large plus two small) widths.

The electrical part is pretty straightforward other than sourcing the pogo pin connector, which is custom to framework. But I found this on digikey/JLCPCB, which ought to work in pairs:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/molex/0472861001/4553726

(The needed connector is 2 rows of 4 pins, spaced 2mm apart in the “4” direction and 3.5mm apart in the “2” direction.)

I haven’t figured out how to source and mount the magnets yet; on my dev board from framework the magnets quickly came unglued and I noticed that Joseph was using clothespins so I suspect the same happened there as well. So some better mounting mechanism is needed (or maybe just better glue).

2 Likes

Some progress to report!

I’ve designed the PCB and a 3d-printed case for holding two small or one medium-sized input module. It could be scaled down to a single small input module or scaled up to a keyboard module (it’s a parametric design) but this seems like a reasonable starting point. It includes a two-port USB hub (actually four port!) so that two modules can be used simultaneously, but these components can be omitted to make a single-port version.

Design is open sourced at GitHub - cscott/ExternalEnclosureFW16: Design files for an external enclosure for Framework 16 Input Modules but beware that this is completely untested right now. I’ve sent the files off to JLCPCB to be printed/fabricated, but I don’t have them back yet so who knows what little bugs there are.

Some renders:

Without the lid on the front:

(7-segment display input module not included!)

And the PCB using a Molex connector in lieu of the Framework-proprietary pogo pin connector.

Schematic: