Silly fan behaviour

Today I received my Framework 13-AMD (specifically, the processor is the 764OU). The BIOS is version JFP30.03.05. (Perhaps an update is available but, as I proceed to explain, I’m not in a position to update it yet.)

So far - because of nonsense with a locked disk that is not relevant here - I had used the computer only when (1) booted to a minimal Linux distribution (the one that comes with the ‘sedtool’ ISO image) and (2) when running the ‘live’ version of Linux Mint. But in those environments I have noticed that, when seemingly under little load, the fan will go from being off to going loudly, and then go off again, all in a period of approximately 0.5 (half) a second to 1 (one) second. Clearly that behaviour is pointless, distracting and will needlessly stress the fan.

I’m new; is there a known problem with fans? This post seems to suggest that there is.

You could try a supported distro and see how that goes.

Thanks. I should have added this, though: the silly behaviour occurs even when looking at the BIOS. So there is a problem with the fan.

Still: if that problem is confined to the BIOS (and/or unsupported distros, or ‘live’ versions of distros), then (at least for some use cases), the problem will not be that bad.

1 Like

It seems that the silly fanning (as I propose to call it) extends to at least some distros. One is Mint, as I have discovered. But even Fedora, which is an officially supported distro. On the problem within Fedora, and for a seemingly Linux-wide fix, see this post.