[SOLVED] Charging cable split and frayed

I know your warranty is up, but I would still contact support. It seems like a lot of people are having issues with the charging cable, and support is doing their best to replace just the cable for free.

I’m just guessing but there may have been was a manufacturing flaw with the early cables.

EDIT: I completely forgot that Nirav mentioned an actual manufacturing defect. For anyone coming to this thread in the future, please contact support if you are seeing fraying issues with your charging cable! (thanks to @GhostLegion for the reminder)

2 Likes

NRP said there was a manufacturing defect above in the thread.

1 Like

aha! I completely forgot that he had said this! It is no longer a guess!

1 Like

To their credit, Framework appears to have decided my cable was part of a bad batch and is sending a replacement free of cost. So there’s that.

5 Likes

My power cord just started to spontaneously unravel after just a couple of months of intermittent use! It sits, unmolested, on a smooth flat surface and hasn’t been stepped on, twisted, or damaged in any other way. Yikes!!

Posts from a couple of months ago suggest other folks are having the same issue. Did Framework respond appropriately? If you had this issue, what are you using now?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi @Sandra_Relyea,

Please contact Framework Support. We’ll take care of you. We’ve been in contact with our supplier/manufacturer of this specific part and have provided them returned samples for analysis.

@Sandra_Relyea
I asked that your post be moved to this main topic, where, as suggested by @TheTwistgibber you will find cases where Framework have repalced in similar cases.

All the best

1 Like

Hey anyone else haveing issues with the chargers?

Check the forums, there are quite a few of these. Recommend reaching out to support since it is a known issue.

2 Likes

These cables suck mine is spiting on both ends and one side sits on the floor plugged into the charger and never moves, the other side just get plugged into the laptop.

@Todd_Adam please, as already mentioned a few times, contact Framework support instead of replying here. The issue is known and so is the solution.

4 Likes

@John_Perez , that looks just like mine, and I’ve only had mine about 4 months! I generally am very gentle with my belongings, especially electronics, so this is very disappointing.

Why are you replying 6 months after his message with the same issue when the problem and the solution is already known?

There was a bad batch of chargers and you can open a support ticket on Framework to get a new one shipped.

3 Likes

@Anachron , why are you so interested in shutting down people who are sharing their experiences in the Framework Community? I did open a support ticket, but I also have found that sharing these issues with other users can help identify patterns and even ways new users can avoid them. For example, if I had seen that post 6 months ago, I probably would have taped up the ends of that cable preemptively.

1 Like

@Max_Handelsman yeah but this issue is well-known already and so is the solution.
I am sure if someone was to stumble upon this thread he would read it and figure out the same.

So how helpful was your post? Not trying to be annoying, just confused why people still do this.

4 Likes

Wish I could edit the original post but the solution to this problem has been presented! :blush:

Please contact Framework’s support channel, once they’ve verified your claims they’ll send a new one out.

This was an issue in manufacturing and a couple batches didn’t get properly encased around the ends and are prone to breaking apart.

Thanks in advance! :orange_heart:

4 Likes

We could edit the the thread title though. Those with a high enough forum trust level. Maybe adding (Solved. See nrp’s post).

If you like it changed just post what you want it to be.

@Cheese @MJ1 Ask and ye shall receive.

I was just going to wait until he said he wanted it changed.

Oh yeah i could’ve changed the title too, that was silly of me!

Thanks for doing that! :orange_heart: