[SOLVED] Charging cable split and frayed

@Max_Handelsman yeah but this issue is well-known already and so is the solution.
I am sure if someone was to stumble upon this thread he would read it and figure out the same.

So how helpful was your post? Not trying to be annoying, just confused why people still do this.

4 Likes

Wish I could edit the original post but the solution to this problem has been presented! :blush:

Please contact Framework’s support channel, once they’ve verified your claims they’ll send a new one out.

This was an issue in manufacturing and a couple batches didn’t get properly encased around the ends and are prone to breaking apart.

Thanks in advance! :orange_heart:

4 Likes

We could edit the the thread title though. Those with a high enough forum trust level. Maybe adding (Solved. See nrp’s post).

If you like it changed just post what you want it to be.

@Cheese @MJ1 Ask and ye shall receive.

I was just going to wait until he said he wanted it changed.

Oh yeah i could’ve changed the title too, that was silly of me!

Thanks for doing that! :orange_heart:

After the charging cable that came with my Framework frayed, support sent me a new one. A few months later, the replacement frayed too! I just contacted them again and they are sending another replacement.

I’m not so sure about the “one-time supplier issue” that Framework has spoken about, as this issue seems to keep happening.

Luckily, Framework now just sends a replacement USB-C cable instead of a whole new charger.

6 Likes

Mine frayed, too. :frowning: I didn’t realize that it was a common problem. :confused: I’m very careful with my cables, as well. It’s like it just decided to start splitting this last week. Is it just too stiff? For now, I’ve just plugged in the frayed end to the power brick. (The straight end plugged into the laptop, rather than the 90 degree end, worked better for my situation/setup.)

Contact support!

3 Likes

Just buy a better cable to a size that suits your needs. Not difficult. :wink:

Just adding another comment to the mix. Just got my Framework (for work) and my cable split within a week. This also happened about 6 months when I bought my machine 1-2 years ago. I’ll put in a support ticket, but I agree with the above sentiment. I hope to not keep getting sent cables that fail this quickly.

1 Like

Just saw this topic; mine has also split open and is fraying at the plug (cable that came with my 1360P) - is the general census still to just contact support?

1 Like

@maffsie Yes, contact support and they’ll get you sorted out

1 Like

A while ago I got myself a really nice Club3D 240W charge cable. It’s pretty good and bright orange too so people notice it. CAC-1573 is the model no. Not expensive.

Hi everyone,

I am having the exact issue most people here have had. The straight end of my USB-C charging cable is fraying where the plug and cable meet. I purchased my Framework 13 (Intel 13th gen) laptop in June 2023. As recommended in this post, I have reached out support. I have not yet received a response but am confident they will help me.

I posted here mainly to add additional feedback to this topic.

Just thought I’d share some more horror pictures (viewer discretion is advised) :,) - No matter how much I wrap it with electrical tape, it just finds its way out from under it. I’ll probably wait till it fails completely then replace it. (Or keep wrapping it and just making one giant taped cable XD )

Just for context - my cable gets wrapped up, thrown in my bag, and unwrapped at least once or twice a day. So this is after roughly a year or so of hard use. Ngl, a little disappointed by how flimsy the cable is - but like someone else mentioned, at least its not hard wired!

As mentioned several times in this thread, this is a defect. Framework will replace this for you.

2 Likes

I don’t know when they listed it but there is a cable only option on the marketplace now that is just $9. Ordered a new one to replace my old one (and a really bad ugreen one that I picked up when my old one started splitting)

1 Like

Update: After this replacement also split, I gave up on Framework cables. I bought an Anker USB-C cable and that’s been working just fine.

Seems so, some official comment on the continuation of this issue might be a good idea.

imagine if people had listened to the guy telling people to “stop sharing your experiences and just open a support ticket” we would be in the dark about how endemic an issue it still is.