[SOLVED] Ethernet Expansion Card connection issues

Hello,

I have a question or minor issues with my Ethernet Expansion card. I keep loosing the connection randomly. This can happen after hours of it working without issue, then all of a sudden I for example click on a link or want to reload a page and the connection drops. I have to deactivate my wired connection and remove the cable, wait a minute and plug it back and re-activate it. Then it works again.
I was just wondering if anyone else has run into similar issues.

Here are my tech details of my model.
DYI 12th Gen
OS is Fedora 37.

Thank you.

I haven’t had any issues like that with mine, it has been rock solid even when left for long periods of time or through suspend/resume cycles. I am running Garuda Linux on the 6.1 kernel.

Maybe an issue with your gateway/router, or some Fedora 37 weirdness?

Spent a LOT of time troubleshooting this. Had the same happen to mine. Then I stumbled upon this in the logs for Fedora, Ubuntu and other distros (logs varied a little between distros, but overall the same):

usb 2-3: USB disconnect, device number 74 xhci_hcd 0000:00:0d.0: WARN Set TR Deq Ptr cmd failed due to incorrect slot or ep state. cdc_ncm 2-3:2.0 enx9cbf0d000e38: unregister 'cdc_ncm' usb-0000:00:0d.0-3, CDC NCM xhci_hcd 0000:00:0d.0: WARN Set TR Deq Ptr cmd failed due to incorrect slot or ep state.

After seeing this happen on multiple Framework laptops, I tried it on another vendor’s laptop - same issue, same error.

Then I grabbed another USB to Ethernet with the exact same chipset/driver module used in the kernel - no errors, worked great.

After testing both the problem card and the third party dongle with the same hardware on multiple kernels and distros, I was able to compare this to the error seen with the bad card.

Then I grabbed an unopened, brand new Ethernet expansion card - no errors, no dropping, multiple distros, multiple kernels, all working.

So what’s the deal? The problem Ethernet expansion card was failing. Even more so, it was failing slowly and not all at once (for me).

TLTR: You will want to RMA the expansion card. It’s a bad card. What we believe was happening is the card state was being tweaked when any steady data was being pushed through it.

I can tell you that properly working Ethernet expansion cards work and work really well on Fedora and other distros. It’s a bad card. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Matt_Hartley
Thank you Sir. That is reassuring. And thank you for all the troubleshooting to get to the bottom of this.
Other than that, this laptop so far is a blast.

2 Likes

Awesome! Glad you’re enjoying it! :slight_smile:

Marking solved, not a Linux issue - card RMA.

2 Likes

@Matt_Hartley I’m seeing similar logs and have what seems to be a no-longer functioning ethernet expansion card.

Since this started happening since I updated my firmware to 3.10 and worked fine under 3.07. I’m curious if you happen to still remember what firmware was installed on the laptops you tested this issue on or if you have any suspicion that this may be related to the laptops firmware/BIOS version. Trying to determine if the card started acting this way because of the firmware update, or if both just coincidentally happened at the same time.

If you’re seeing:

usb 2-3: USB disconnect, device number 74 xhci_hcd 0000:00:0d.0: WARN Set TR Deq Ptr cmd failed due to incorrect slot or ep state. cdc_ncm 2-3:2.0 enx9cbf0d000e38: unregister 'cdc_ncm' usb-0000:00:0d.0-3, CDC NCM xhci_hcd 0000:00:0d.0: WARN Set TR Deq Ptr cmd failed due to incorrect slot or ep state.

It’s a bad card. RMA needs to happen.

Posting here as i just discovered the comment at [SOLVED] Ethernet expansion card is not connecting - #11 by anarcat and it seems like the replies to it provide various different methods of adjusting power management settings for the card to at least work around the issue.

while this is probably old news i figured id repost the link here for anyone else who comes looking