[SOLVED] Matte screen please! :)

Not buying if there isn’t an option for matte screens. Absolutely not negotiable.

3 Likes

I’m a geezer-nerd with poor eyesight. :woozy_face: Glossy screen is totally unacceptable - a no-go for me.

2 Likes

What matte screen option as well!

but we do have anti-glare coatings on the display to make it super usable in most lighting conditions.

This is not true. Screen is very glossy and “anti-glare coating” even if it is present is not helping at all.

5 Likes

I would have already bought one if a matte screen was an option. I even searched for a matte replacement screen but could not find one. If I can find a matte replacement screen, I’ll probably buy at least one DIY model. I doubt I’d be happy with a matte screen protector.

1 Like

+1

Any chances this is coming in near future?

Matte screens are essentially glossy screens with a permanent matte layer on top. A good quality matte screen protector provides virtually the same thing. Head on over to the matte screen protector thread for an idea of peoples’ experiences before ruling it out.

13 Likes

Please forgive my ignorance, but I find myself wondering if a matte bezel is possible.

1 Like

@Andrew_Holden the bezel is plastic, and quite matte.

1 Like

Maybe I misspoke, and I apologize if this is what you were answering. I meant to ask if a bezel with an integrated matte panel in the center is possible, and if it would have the desired effect.

Ah, that was discussed a bit in this thread:

After playing with my Framework laptop for many weeks, I’m now convinced that a matte screen would indeed be a huge improvement to the overall experience. I spend a lot of time on a terminal screen with a dark background. The glossy reflections are especially annoying there.

[PS: I am coming to Framework from a Thinkpad T460 which, I believe, had a matte screen but with an abysmal 250 nits of brightness. So, despite the glare, I’m way happier with my Framework display than the T460.]

5 Likes

Adding one more vote for matte screens in future! I intend to use this laptop for work, and working in the terminal with a dark background is really hard on the eyes with the glossy screen. Looking into matte screen protectors now.

2 Likes

@Anna_Ordog I can independently vouch for the Photodon protector (that @nrp demoed w pictures above in the thread) looks really good, and they should soon have the sizing optimized for the Framework it seems

4 Likes

Matte display is the very first thing when choosing a laptop, doesn’t matter how great everything else with it is.

Some years ago I had a glossy screen nice laptop… For about 3 days, and back it went. Never again. Even tried one of those anti reflection films on it, looked way uglier than factory made matte screen would be.

Framework, if your 15" version won’t have matte display option… Sorry, will have to get another HP laptop until you do.

2 Likes

Oh no, not HP (sorry, I specifically hate that brand)!

Yeah, my current laptop is glossy and it’s frustrating. Shoot, the keycaps just barely touch the screen when it’s closed so I get fingerprint oils on the screen from off the keyboard. It suuucks

1 Like

HP has quite a broad selection of devices. I don’t like their Pavilion or Envy lineups, although Envy has gotten some good credit lately. Pavilion is still garbage now and 10 years ago.
Yet new Spectre line is pretty awesome, besides having glossy screen (I think that has to do with the OLEDs that are a new thing). I personally have ProBook and it had all the goods that I was looking for from different standpoints. Biggest downside is a shitty display, matte nonetheless.
EliteBooks would be step up from ProBooks if you have deeper pockets. When I got my current ProBook back in 2014, I did extensive research among all major brands, and that just fit all the requirements. Yet I barely ever even see anyone mention their ProBook series.

HP printers on the other hand… I wish I could beat each of them into molecules with a baseball bat. More than once I wanted to throw their shitty printer out of 3rd floor window, just to hold myself back as it wasn’t my own property. Never ever would I have an HP printer.

1 Like

Yeah, I mostly take jabs at them for some of their older desktops. I haven’t touched any of their newer desktops yet, but the older ones flat out refused to boot with any aftermarket GPU. It was disgusting. Hopefully it’s better now and I can start to rec them again but maaaan, that really left a bad taste in my mouth.

and yeah, HP printers are gross. I just print stuff on the brother or xerox at work

I don’t really know about their desktops, only have used laptops in the home office category (Notebooks, ProBooks). Could be that the desktops go hand in hand with their printers, lol.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I got a Via Screens Matte screen film, and I find it to be very, very satisfactory in lieu of a “proper” matte screen.

6 Likes

Here to actually add my +1 to a dedicated matte screen option, in fact replacing the current glossy ones.

The process for installing my ViaScreens matte film was a nightmare even though the company tried to make it easy as possible. They sent me two protectors and I ended up messing up the first one. I still have dust bubbles in it that I’d rather not deal with because peeling back the screen to clean them up with a sticker is just going to create more anyway.

Does your matte screen protector completely blur your reflection or is it supposed to only reduce glare? I can’t really tell the difference before and after I added the protector with the screen turned off, but I haven’t tried using it in direct light yet. I can live with the protector just eliminating direct light but I just want to confirm I didn’t get sent the wrong one