[SOLVED] Matte screen please! :)

I just installed a matte screen protector on my Batch 5. Can’t say I’m a fan. Giving it a couple of days before I decide if I’m keeping it. Would buy a matte screen if offered on the marketplace on a heartbeat and I’m strongly considering going the aftermarket route if this doesn’t pan out.

Just food for thought in case the framework product team is watching.

P.S. The fact that we even have an aftermarket option rocks.

P.P.S I run Arch btw.

1 Like

@feesh Off topic but where in the world is your background image? :slight_smile:

@Dheera_Venkatraman Those images were posted by @nrp and the background is the default wallpaper on the Framework Laptops. Not sure where it is but here’s the source:
https://www.pexels.com/photo/brown-house-in-between-of-mountains-730981/

Just installed my matte protector from via screens. But would love a pre-applied option to save time and hassle (cleaning the screen and lining up screen protectors is among my least favorite projects)

I got 2 protectors. Good thing too, as my first one was ruined by a bunch of dust in the middle. Every time I tried to clean it out more got in :man_facepalming:. Applied the second one in the bathroom after steaming the room up to remove all dust from the air.

Note you should not use the dust removal stickers, as they are very strong and may destroy your screen. Just use the microfiber cloth provided.
Nice to not have a mirror for a screen anymore

1 Like

Brighter and more vibrant don’t matter in my environment, when my reflection is so clearly visible I can’t see the content on the screen.

I bought the panel mentioned earlier in this topic, but the one I received looks exactly like the original. It’s just as glossy, and I found it incredibly difficult to install. I didn’t notice the lack of any matte finish, until after it was installed and I removed the protective cover. That was extremely disappointing.

While the Framework display module can be easily removed with just four screws, Framework’s brackets that hold the panel in the chassis are attached to the panel itself with a very strong adhesive. Obviously alternate panels don’t include these brackets or this adhesive. I damaged one of the brackets, before I figured out how to remove Framework’s adhesive properly. I checked with support. Unfortunately Framework doesn’t offer the brackets or the adhesive separately. To replace one bracket, I’ll have to buy an entire display module with another glossy panel I don’t want.

For now I’ll go back to matte screen protectors, although the dust and air bubbles are really annoying. Or rather I will when another display module arrives. I placed an order on December 23rd when they were listed as available in the Marketplace. On the 28th I received an email notifying me that they didn’t actually have any stock to send me right now. They did not include an estimated ship date.

A matte display option needs to be higher priority for Framework. Those of us that can’t control the lighting around us still need to be able see what’s on the screen.

Any more tape or glue that Framework can remove from its products would be greatly appreciated. In its current configuration, third-party panels really need to be shipped as Framework specific display modules that include the custom brackets, adhesive, and probably the display cable too.

Finally, while I understand the supply chain shortages, it would have been helpful to know that these modules weren’t actually available in the Marketplace before I placed the order. Framework has already charged my card for a product they don’t have.

5 Likes

If you don’t have a good dust free environment or cleanroom (who does), you can steam up your bathroom for a few minutes and then do installation in there. The steam apparently attaches to the dust particles and weighs them down, causing them to fall to the floor and clearing the air.

After doing that, via screen’s installation instructions worked well. Just be sure not to use their post-installation dust removal stickers on the laptop itself (you can use them on the sticky side of the protector however)

1 Like

I will probably go this route next. I ordered a pair of screen protectors from Photodon this time around. The shipping was much faster than from Viascreens, probably because we’re both in the US.

I’m going to wait until I get the new display module from Framework though. Hopefully it will include a screen protector too. If I can peel off the original and install the matte protector in the steamed up bathroom, I’m hoping I can minimize the dust.

This would be a lot easier if Framework offered a matte option from the factory though.

1 Like

Heads up to future readers: the listing in aliexpress that Davy_Bell posted now lists the screen type as “Surface: Matte or glossy” whereas it only listed Matte back when I ordered on Dec 21st 2021.

2 Likes

Yes, please!! An anti-glare display is what would make this laptop almost perfect to me. These glare displays are really straining my eyes. :dizzy_face:

Adding my vote here for matte screen from marketplace! For now, I’ll try the via screen protector (lucky I have access to a clean room), but factory anti-glare like my Dell monitors are still my favorite! Please please please Santa Framework!

2 Likes

Thought I’d actually found the machine I need when I realised that the screen is not matte - (

Is this something that’ll be coming soon (like the RJ45 module) or should I just go and find something else?

1 Like

Framework have not announced anything about a 1st party matte screen option, but users have found a 3rd party module and successfully swapped it in, but this requires some work and skill, along with a warning that some sellers list both matte and glossy options and send you one of the two at random. More info can be found earlier in this thread. The other option is matte screen protectors, which are attached with adhesive onto the surface of the screen. You can read about other users doing this here.

3 Likes

The screen protector route seems OK, I suppose. It makes the DIY laptop build a little more DIY than before.

I have been clinging onto my 2010 Macbook 17" as an example of “They don’t make 'em like they used to” - its matte screen being a big part of that… ah “progress” :expressionless:

1 Like

absolutely this, my mother has a laptop with a glossy screen and it is absolutely hell to use, I can watch traffic going past through the window behind me. My father is always complaining about it as well.

I don’t know which manufacturer originally came up with glossy screens but it is probably the stupidest decision ever made with laptops; it makes them almost unusable.

2 Likes

When laptops with IPS screens were first becoming a ‘thing’, I saw someone with a Sony laptop that had a glossy screen. It was the first time I’d seen anything that wasn’t matte and it looked fantastic

I remember thinking at the time “wow, this looks almost CRT like”.

I suspect it had an over-bright (battery draining) backlight and the glossy screen was intended to enhance the visual impact.

1 Like

Another successful upgrade here - thanks for the tip. Ordered screen from ebay here 13.5" IPS LCD Screen Display Panel NE135FBM-N41 V8.0 100% sRGB 2256x1504 40pin | eBay, just in case they will send glossy one and I will need to deal with return/replacement. However everything was fine. Took abound a month to arrive to NJ, US. Packaged exactly same as on Davy_Bell’s photos (may be same seller, don’t know for sure).

I am very happy now - glossy screen was the only thing which was bugging me every day while using the laptop and now it is solved!

7 Likes

+++ having an in house matte screen option / replacement option on the framework marketplace because

1. applying a matte screen protector is quite a pain
  2. buying a screen replacement is also a pain

Ordered a matt screen protector from here, was really easy installation with the bezel removed. Easy recommendation.

2 Likes

To be honest, the glare isn’t that bad, I do work outside, and inside, and I haven’t had any problems with it. And the colors are definetly better with a reflective screen! Although I do see all of your points. You can easily get a matte screen protector made for the framework from a company though.

1 Like

Another vote for a matte screen!
I want a hassle-free option of a matte screen without applying a matte screen protector my self.
Glare screen is a knock out criterion.

6 Likes